The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

This idea that hes one of the few trying to make things happen, thats literally what he's there for.

His role is to be creative, be dangerous with the ball, make assists and chip in with goals. 

The problem is that he's, currently, doing a terrible job at it. Five games, one assist (for Luiz's worldie). We need so much more from him, his form is literally season defining for us, which isnt fair on him but its how it is.

Got an assist vs Palace 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

This idea that hes one of the few trying to make things happen, thats literally what he's there for.

His role is to be creative, be dangerous with the ball, make assists and chip in with goals. 

The problem is that he's, currently, doing a terrible job at it. Five games, one assist (for Luiz's worldie). We need so much more from him, his form is literally season defining for us, which isnt fair on him but its how it is.

What else could he do tonight? There is no movement at all. As you say, he's the player that's meant to pick the pass. But to do that the recipient has to get in to space it make a run. Currently they stand and watch and hope he can do something on his own. 

A bit like Pogba, in that he looks a bit clueless just because the players around him suck. So many times he’s inviting obvious runs, but nothing happens and it leads to a lost ball or bad pass - making him look bad instead of bagging a key pass. The ones that understand football see the problem, then you have the ones only seeing the bad passes without context. Saying that, he had two unforced errors leading to possible counters today. If that’s Pool or City it’s 100% a goal at the back.

2 minutes ago, Papillon said:

A bit like Pogba, in that he looks a bit clueless just because the players around him suck. So many times he’s inviting obvious runs, but nothing happens and it leads to a lost ball or bad pass - making him look bad instead of bagging a key pass. The ones that understand football see the problem, then you have the ones only seeing the bad passes without context. Saying that, he had two unforced errors leading to possible counters today. If that’s Pool or City it’s 100% a goal at the back.

Mate, that's desperate. Seriously. Giving him a free pass for passes you'd give a Sunday league player a bollocking for if he made. But it's the other players fault because they weren't moving enough. Right 🙄 

I think the previous criticism this season has been a little harsh but there's no way to stick up for him tonight imo. Easily the worst I've seen him play for about 3 years. 

Put in a super cross for Wesley first half but after that it was just awful. Seemed to always play the wrong pass or just lose the ball, nowhere near good enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought he was poor tonight, he seemed to give the ball away every time he got it, he seems to be struggling now we’ve stepped up to the Premier League. Mings should be captain in my opinion, he’s a more natural leader and he leads by example

I agree. Jack was pretty weak too when the 2 lads came together. 

35 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What I don't get is that Smith made a real effort to have him further up the pitch and getting into the box more last season. This season he's back to collecting the ball deep and playing in his own half too much. Needs to be further forward.

To be honest, he looks better running with the ball from deep and ghosting past a couple of midfielders, cos when he gets to the edge of the box he is lacking real creativity and the genuine quality that is needed to unlock defences.

I thought he had a great first half but the whole team shitting the bed contributed to a poor performance in the second with him trying to force things a bit too much unfortunately. If the team can rally around him and he can bring a bit of consistency we'll see him at his best.

I'm usually a big defender of Grealish, but besides one or two excellent moments (e.g. the cross for Wesley, a few fouls he won) he had a poor game tonight. It was partly due to lack of movement around him, but he also misplaced quite a few passes which were entirely his fault.

Hopefully just one of those nights. He's still clearly the most talented player in the team, but it's a shame he had a poor game when Mike Dean gave us a chance to pick up 3 points against a decent side.

• Like 2

I thought he started well and after the half time break got gradually worse. I think he is trying to do too much and needs to stay up the pitch as he isn't a DPM. He needs to create chances not problems and get back to concentrating on his game instead of the team. He's getting caught on the ball or playing passes in silly areas at the moment.  It's slightly selfish but he has to get his own shit together asap before the lapses start spreading through the team. He has another 20% in his locker which is the margin he needs to start effecting games the way he can and we need. He was good enough at 19 and is now. It's just up to him to bring it out.

I do feel for him in that it really is the case that he doesn't have anyone to pick out much of the time (although granted tonight there was a couple of times where he miscued some decent openings) because of how poor our wide players have been, but now and again he does need to show some impetus himself and have a bit more killing instinct. Rather than hold the ball up at the edge of the box frustratingly waiting for someone to make a run he needs to be able to have a go himself now and again and try to get a shot away, teams are going to know what to expect of him and cut off passing lanes, so he's got to present a bit more direct danger himself.

Think he missed Jota a bit when he got subbed, they had a really nice link up down the right start of second half.

Worth remembering he had a slow start to last season and eventually picked up big time.

Think problem for me he's still playing at the pace of the championship when he'd picked the ball up and championship players would just stand off him.

It's all quicker and sharper here, top level players with plenty of international caps will anticipate his passes and also press him far more quickly so he needs to wise up to that otherwise he'll continue getting caught in possession like opening day and a few times tonight.

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think the criticism is a tad unfair - we’re devoid of smart movement ahead of him. He’s holding the ball, looking for passes instead but there is rarely a good option.

Gave the ball away with easy passes which was unlike him but, otherwise, looked to be the only player trying anything going forward. 

Yup. I'm sure Southgate came away from that game with a positive assessment of Jack.

Â