Jump to content
kevangrealish

Jack Grealish

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

And  this ladies and gentlemen is why VAR will never really work properly as everything other than "did the ball cross the line completely" is pretty subjective and open to interpretation

No, this is why the Premier League's weird interpretation of VAR will never work properly, because barely anything is objectively a "clear and obvious" mistake.

There are lots of sports that use video refereeing to deal with rules that require some degree of subjective interpretation (e.g. yellow / red cards in rugby). And most of the major foreign leagues use VAR much more effectively than the Premier League does.

What I'm struggling to understand is this idea that VAR overruling the referee is a challenge to his authority. Surely the current approach exposes referees to more criticism, and makes them look weak and insecure?

I think PGMOL has become a weird cabal of pillocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EDIT: I will move my rather specific (abd slightly dull) VAR question to the Video Assistant Referee Thread.

On another note, I watched this Jack Grealish highlights video while thinking about the suggestion of @sne that Jack could do a job on the left. It is interesting to see how comfortable and effective he is in this part of the pitch. And no slouch either. Depending on how much restructuring our midfield requires in the weeks ahead, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the option.

 

Edited by Five Ken McNaughts
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2019 at 16:13, Five Ken McNaughts said:

On another note, I watched this Jack Grealish highlights video while thinking about the suggestion of @sne that Jack could do a job on the left. It is interesting to see how comfortable and effective he is in this part of the pitch. And no slouch either. Depending on how much restructuring our midfield requires in the weeks ahead, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the option.

 

Just watched this.  Look at all those outrageous dives. 🤔🤔😲😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see Jack is second only to De Bruyne for chances created with 14. 

Considering most think he is playing too deep and he doesn’t really take freekicks, that is quite impressive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see him take more shots. It's not his strongest ability by far, but he has a knack of getting himself into a shooting position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article in The Athletic about Jack Grealish.

Has anyone signed up for it this season and is it worth it? I am tempted...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Article in The Athletic about Jack Grealish.

Has anyone signed up for it this season and is it worth it? I am tempted...

I've just signed up for a free trial so I can read it. Is there anything in the forum rules stopping me posting the whole thing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've just signed up for a free trial so I can read it. Is there anything in the forum rules stopping me posting the whole thing here?

I dunno but if not can you also post that Ron Vlaar one from last month somewhere please as I wanted to read that?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/09/2019 at 16:13, Five Ken McNaughts said:

EDIT: I will move my rather specific (abd slightly dull) VAR question to the Video Assistant Referee Thread.

On another note, I watched this Jack Grealish highlights video while thinking about the suggestion of @sne that Jack could do a job on the left. It is interesting to see how comfortable and effective he is in this part of the pitch. And no slouch either. Depending on how much restructuring our midfield requires in the weeks ahead, I wouldn't necessarily rule out the option.

 

Based on this quote from that article in The Athletic, I would definitely rule it out!

“Some people say I should be a left winger. No thanks. I hate that position! I’m a No 8. I’ll play No 10 if asked, but I haven’t played there for three years,” he says. “I like my current position and I’m excited for the rest of the season. I speak to the manager every day about football and we want to make Villa an exciting team playing on the front foot. I’m confident we will get there.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wainy316 said:

I dunno but if not can you also post that Ron Vlaar one from last month somewhere please as I wanted to read that?  :)

Sure, I'm happy to post both. If it is a problem I can just download them as PDFs and send to people.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've just signed up for a free trial so I can read it. Is there anything in the forum rules stopping me posting the whole thing here?

yes

the guidelines are somewhere (er, linked at the top of every page - the mods) , post a link and only post part of the article rather than the full thing, not sure what else

Edited by blandy
mod edit to point at gudielines
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend signing up for a free trial if you haven't done so before - it's one of those you can immediately cancel (so you don't forget it will charge you) and retain access during the trial.

As well as the articles on Grealish & Vlaar, there is a short one on Mings and the Stephen Ireland article that all those recent quotes came from is also quite interesting.

Also an article from 2 days ago about Di Matteo where he talks about his time at Villa.

Looks like it's well worth the 1 minute sign-up to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think he’ll have a big game on Monday. Seems the character to build on knock downs. The Palace situation will really have hurt him and can see the team really galvanising because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair few quotes from it on the villareport Twitter account, good read

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Fair few quotes from it on the villareport Twitter account, good read

 

Well looks like a lot more players will start talking to him off the ball and doing other off the ball stuff as he admitted it makes him angry.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Well looks like a lot more players will start talking to him off the ball and doing other off the ball stuff as he admitted it makes him angry.....

I hope they do, Will Vaulks did it against him for Rotherham and he did this...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I hope they do, Will Vaulks did it against him for Rotherham and he did this...

 

 

It’s alright doing it against Rotherham and apparently being the best player in The Championship. When asked to do it in a proper league surrounded by quality players, so far he hasn’t shown up in my opinion, same goes for McGinn. They had a field day in The Championship, I know it’s early days but this is my opinion based on so far this season, let’s see if they can step up starting on Monday night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s alright doing it against Rotherham and apparently being the best player in The Championship. When asked to do it in a proper league surrounded by quality players, so far he hasn’t shown up in my opinion, same goes for McGinn. They had a field day in The Championship, I know it’s early days but this is my opinion based on so far this season, let’s see if they can step up starting on Monday night

We are in the bottom 3 and will likely be in a relegation battle all season. Not sure what you're expecting, for them to dominate the league like they did in the Championship?

Jack is still second in the league for chances created and John made the Sky team of the month and is up there for many defensive stats, so they're clearly holding their own out there.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â