The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

There must be a reason for this.

Harry Kane can go down regularly when he feels "contact" some times he wins the decision sometimes not. However he is not vilified in the way Jack is either by refs of other supporters.

Is it because Harry Kane is an England star, so fans of other teams see him in a different light?

Is it because Harry Kane conducts himself in a more professional manner around referees? 

Whatever it is Jack could learn from Harry because they are both kicked and fouled and both go down a lot, but only one has a unjustified reputation for diving.

Harry Kane has the plain, boring, "good guy" image, a family man. While Jack has the floppy undercut and the rolled down socks and small shin pads and generally carries himself with swagger and likes to party. People make stupid generalizations in their heads based on inconsequential things like this.  

• Like 4

I don't see why we have to play him wide to get the best out of him? Just play him as a traditional #10 behind Wesley and have McGinn and Douglas hold. McGinn plays even further forward than Jack at times when he shouldn't really. He's a box to box midfielder and needs to pick his moments to go up better. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Why not?

It's ridiculous, but I think he's correct. I think the FA can by themselves rescind a yellow card if it's related to mistaken identity, but they won't for anything else. And I don't think it's possible for the club to appeal as no suspension is involved. 

Correct me if I am wrong. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Hopefully Grealish gets an England call up and then we won't have to worry about refs being biased against him.

This is so true its crucial Grealish gets in the next squad. He'll never get booked again. Shearer used to get away with elbows. Terry and gerrard used to get away with all sorts of ABH. Gary lineker apparently never got a booking!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think you can appeal a yellow card full stop. Especially a yellow card that the referee had a clear view of, and VAR agreed with it. 

Just to be clear, VAR didn't "agree" with the ref. It decided that his decision not to award a penalty wasn't a "clear and obvious" error.

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Just to be clear, VAR didn't "agree" with the ref. It decided that his decision not to award a penalty wasn't a "clear and obvious" error.

And VAR couldn't rule on the goal because play is dead when referee blew his whistle

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't see why we have to play him wide to get the best out of him? Just play him as a traditional #10 behind Wesley and have McGinn and Douglas hold. McGinn plays even further forward than Jack at times when he shouldn't really. He's a box to box midfielder and needs to pick his moments to go up better. 

I was dead against him on the left but there's been a few circumstances of number 10 type players playing off the left and drifting inside, obviously that will weaken our left side but we're not doing much from that channel attacking wise at the moment anyway. There might be better balance and physicality with a 3 of Marvelous, Luiz and McGinn, and then allowing Grealish to start from the left but have a bit of a free role.

id only start him on the left if it was a system with jota on the right interchanging and popping up everywhere in and around big wes, fullbacks provide the width, marvelous and luiz at DMC cover the FBs

not sure we're ready for that yet and you wouldn't want to play that at the etihad

I was going to post this strangely mesmerising video sequence in one of the Match / Ref / VAR threads in which I have been venting my spleen for the past couple of days. Then I thought, no, this moment should be under Jack Grealish's name. The clip is three angles of that incident in super-slo-mo (courtesy of "avfc Villablog"). 
What I see is a surrounded Villa captain charging right at the heart of the opposition in the 96th minute, refusing to accept defeat, refusing to go down when shoved by Zaha, picking his pass despite an imminent clattering, then bouncing straight back up for any rebounds as Lansbury smashes it home.
The fact we had the ref from "Escape To Victory" can't change all that.
We're all going to need a lot more of this spirit for the season ahead, no doubt about that any more. But this was a captain showing the way. Never give up. Never give in. Fight like Lions. UTV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KentVillan said:

100% guarantee that the minute Grealish gets his England call up, the following will happen:

1. A cringe interview with Henry Winter in the Times, full of Partridge-esque phrases like "the chunky calved playmaker looks and sounds like a Peaky Blinder, and plays with the razor-sharp edge of their famous hats".
  2. Alan Shearer will do a feature on him on MOTD.
  3. He will be linked with a £100m move to a "big club".
  4. Referees will start giving decisions his way.

No chance would Kevin Friend have targeted him like this if he'd just received his England call-up.

I don't think Premier League refs are corrupt, they're just really vain and want to make a name for themselves. He perceived that a lot of fans of rival clubs think Grealish gets away with too much, and he wanted to be the hero who spotted it. It's harder for a ref to pull that kind of act with a popular England player.

I think you are on to something here......well presented point.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keyblade said:

One of the best games Jack has had in his Villa career came in the FAC SF against Plop where he played inside left and NZogbia played on the right.  He could play that position??  Needs Targett though as Taylor would never exploit the space Jack would create by coming inside.

Equally, we could play a diamond with Nakamba at the base, Luiz and SJM either side and Jack at "10" off Davis and Wes.  That would be really strong.  Again needs Targett for width.  I can't see Smith doing this as he tends to stick by his 4-3-3 through thick and thin!

18 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think you can appeal a yellow card full stop. Especially a yellow card that the referee had a clear view of, and VAR agreed with it. 

Pretty sure you can if it either 

1) leads to suspension

2) is a case of mistaken identity 

16 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

One of the best games Jack has had in his Villa career came in the FAC SF against Plop where he played inside left and NZogbia played on the right.  He could play that position??  Needs Targett though as Taylor would never exploit the space Jack would create by coming inside.

Equally, we could play a diamond with Nakamba at the base, Luiz and SJM either side and Jack at "10" off Davis and Wes.  That would be really strong.  Again needs Targett for width.  I can't see Smith doing this as he tends to stick by his 4-3-3 through thick and thin!

N'Zogbia and Jack were both playing as #10's in the 4-3-2-1 with license to drift wherever they wanted. We could do that with Jota and Jack and have them play wide at times. But yeah, for any of these formations to work, we can't be playing Neil Taylor.

If anything i would say watching it in slowmo like that you can see even more why he gave it as a dive.

The one single angle of video where it actually looks like a dive happens to be exactly where Friend was standing. I have clipped the vid above to emphasise it, It is his left leg above anything else, Sure he's off balance and going down anyway but then his left leg just shoots out to the side and looks completely unnatural.

Honestly if i was standing 5 yards behind that i would probably think he dived or at the very least chucked his leg out looking for some additional contact of some sort.

If Friend hadn't blown a second later and henri had time to put the ball in the net then VAR would have checked, saw that there was enough contact to see he probably didn't dive and the goal would have stood

yXxdBHd.gif

Â