The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He's definitely getting unfair treatment from the referees. He's (wrongly) seen as a diver and as a result the threshold for a foul being given seems to be higher for him. If there's any silver-lining today it's that maybe this controversy gets him fairer treatment in the future?

100% this. A few times today he was annoyed at not been given fouls, I really do feel that the referees want to make a point because of this "diving" reputation that he has. He can't help it that people hack at his legs.

• Like 1

Something else that's bugging me about this "dive", how many players go up to a player they haven't touched and has "dived" against them, and try to calm them down and drag them from the ref like Cahill did? He knew he'd fouled Grealish and was calming him down instead of screaming in his face like most players normally do, that is not the reaction of a player who has been "justified" by the ref.

• Like 3

He was officially booked for dissent which I don't understand because the ref blew the whistle when Grealish was fouled. 

It looks like Friend blew the whistle for a foul, then we scored and Grealish mouthed off (rightfully so), and Friend decided f this, here is a yellow and no free kick now. 

12 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He was officially booked for dissent which I don't understand because the ref blew the whistle when Grealish was fouled. 

It looks like Friend blew the whistle for a foul, then we scored and Grealish mouthed off (rightfully so), and Friend decided f this, here is a yellow and no free kick now. 

If this is the case then he's making the rules up as he goes a long, dissent doesn't overrule a freekick that results from a foul.

The only 'explanation' was that it was considered to be a dive. How it could be ruled this when he actually completed a pass to a teammate in a goal scoring position in the box is absolutely beyond me and is inexplicable. Just pure incompetence. 

• Like 1

We need to stop playing him as a #8. It worked in the Championship, but the PL is a different beast. He showed what he can do when he's higher up the pitch. Give him the Maddison role and let him roam. He comes too deep all the time.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We need to stop playing him as a #8. It worked in the Championship, but the PL is a different beast. He showed what he can do when he's higher up the pitch. Give him the Maddison role and let him roam. He comes too deep all the time.

Surely he shouldn't need to come so deep if Luiz is performing his role properly. 

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Have to agree. Need him much closer to wesley more often. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poitier said:

Surely he shouldn't need to come so deep if Luiz is performing his role properly. 

Luiz is only 1 guy. John McGinn is also playing damn near with Jota all game. It's a big job for 1 player to get everyone involved. We should have 2 sitters and let Jack focus on hurting the opposition up top.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He needs to take responsibility for coming too deep. He tends to navigate towards the ball, regardless of where it is. 

• Like 1

The kind of decision that can make you want to quit football (at least until you wake up the next day and don't give a damn anymore). Reminds me a bit of that James-fella at United, who has been booked twice already for diving without actually diving - it must feel terrible. The referee in this case should be ashamed of himself as a person for booking the player for diving and he should be even more ashamed of himself as a professional for not waiting to blow the whistle. As Grealish actually releases the ball, which in itself takes away all doubts about simulation, the referee must wait until he blows that whistle. A big shame to the referee, a huge pair of rolled eyes for VAR and just disbelief. I am definitely less interested in football this year, I wonder if it's VAR ruining that last bit of passion. Yesterday it was Bilbao vs. Sociedad and the latter had a penalty call ruled out because the tackle happened outside the box. It took me 4 seconds to see it was 100% outside the box on the telly - yet the VAR used about 4-5 minutes to get the decision in.

The referees are shielded in England, which is absolutely ridiculous. In this case, the referee should have been questioned and it would be nice to hear his thoughts behind the failure. Secondly, he should give Grealish his apologies for this grave mistake.

• Like 2

I feel sorry for Jack, because he's developed this reputation as a diver after being fouled constantly in the Championship for three years.

He does go down a little bit easily, but so do most players at this level, and there's always genuine contact. There's really nothing unique about him except the fact that his dribbling style draws a lot of fouls.

Ironically I think today might be a useful turning point for us. Loads of media coverage of him being let down by a referee. Sometimes you need the narrative to turn a bit. Referees are human beings, and they definitely follow the news, and go into games with preconceptions about different players.

The punditocracy don't watch that many games involving teams outside the big 6, so it's little flashpoints like this that stick in the mind. This is an opportunity for Dean Smith and the club to show that Jack gets a raw deal from referees, because they're scared to call every foul, and hopefully get referees thinking about that. Do they want to be slammed on MOTD like Kevin Friend is about to tonight?

49 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

True story, this happened during the Palace game.

Then Kevin Friend knocked on the door and booked her for simulation.

Tbf from that video it looks like Elmo was offside.

• Haha 2

Â