The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Mount, Barkley and Maddison are getting called up as options to play between the midfield and the strikers, Grealish isn't going to get called up for that role because it's not where he's been playing for us, so unless we start playing further him forward either as a wide attacker or just behind Wesley it doesn't really matter whether he's better than Mount, Maddison and Barkley or not, it's like saying he should get a call up because he's better than Danny Rose.

He's playing as a central midfielder so is more in competition with Winks, Henderson, Rice, and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Didn't Ox used to play as a winger? 😅

Part of Greaiish's problem is that there aren't many players like him at all, especially that play as genuine central midfielders, alas when England are deciding how they want to play they aren't really going to be planning with a player such as Grealish in mind. Only way he's going to get in there is if he's that good for us that they have no choice but to tweak the system to fit him in, or if we play him further forward either wide, or behind the striker.

His performances so far haven't really warranted a call up, although granted that Lingard and Oxlade-Chamberlain are bizarre choices. Grealish is still adjusting to this league, he has shown flashes of what he can do but is yet to put in a complete performance for 90 minutes, whereas someone like Mings has looked extremely accomplished from the get go and has been consistently among the best players on the pitch in all of our games so far. When Grealish is doing that I'm sure he'll get in the squad.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, useless said:

He's playing as a central midfielder so is more in competition with Winks, Henderson, Rice, and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Don't see the Ox playing as a central midfielder?  I think Mount is better able to perform that role.

I agree that Jack is not playing at "10" but I think he is a better "8" than the three above.  Rice is clearly a "4".  Haven't seen enough of Winks to know his best position.  Henderson has a great engine but is technically bereft in comparison to our Jack! 

8 hours ago, useless said:

Part of Greaiish's problem is that there aren't many players like him at all, especially that play as genuine central midfielders, alas when England are deciding how they want to play they aren't really going to be planning with a player such as Grealish in mind. Only way he's going to get in there is if he's that good for us that they have no choice but to tweak the system to fit him in, or if we play him further forward either wide, or behind the striker.

I'd agree with the first bit and emphatically disagree with the second bit. England don't need to tweak the system at all to fit Jack in. A big part of Englands problem in the WC and Nations League at times was the failure from the midfield to dominate possession and move the team up the pitch to get closer to the forwards. We were constantly relying on the forwards to do something special. Dele Alli particularly is not adept at travelling with the ball and has also been guilty in an England shirt of turning the ball over very frequently. That's not an issue if he's scoring goals like he does at Spurs but that is something he's never done in an England shirt. 

Jack is perfect for that and I am sure Southgate knows that. I'd agree with Dr P that his first 3 performances haven't quite merited that call up. I don't think he's far away though. 

Much as I hate to say it, Southgate was right last year. Jack looked (and was) great in the Championship. He has not yet made the step up to the premier league and looked as good as he did last year, whereas Mings has.

At the moment, Jack has not done enough to warrant an England call-up. I'm sure he will however, I am sure that as he adjusts over the next few games his quality will start to shine through, he will get there but this round of Internationals has come too soon for him. I think by the end of this season he will be bossing this league, just like he did in the championship. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Much as I hate to say it, Southgate was right last year. Jack looked (and was) great in the Championship. He has not yet made the step up to the premier league and looked as good as he did last year, whereas Mings has.

At the moment, Jack has not done enough to warrant an England call-up. I'm sure he will however, I am sure that as he adjusts over the next few games his quality will start to shine through, he will get there but this round of Internationals has come too soon for him. I think by the end of this season he will be bossing this league, just like he did in the championship. 

Exactly.

This isn't to say Jack has been poor, he hasn't been. But he's not really having that some effect on games in the way that Maddison or Mount are.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Exactly.

This isn't to say Jack has been poor, he hasn't been. But he's not really having that some effect on games in the way that Maddison or Mount are.

Agreed. People need to realise that he is still a young man, and this is his first "real" season in the Prem. Previously he was a highly rated youngster who did not have a great record of making good choices, and when he was playing, it was in a poor team and he wasn't expected to single-handedley run the game. Now he is captain, he is the guy the team is built around and has a massive amount of pressure on his shoulders. It is bound to affect his  game - even if only in making him more cautious. 

To an extent he is a victim of his own success in the Championship - people are expecting the world from him. He needs time to adjust to this league and make it his own. The step up in quality of players he is facing is huge, and no one player can have the same individual impact on a game that is possible at Championship level.

Jack will make it in this league, and he will play for England - we just need to give it time and frankly - him playing well for Villa this season is more important to me than him playing for England.

• Like 3

mings getting called up at least eliminates any thoughts jack may have about having to play for a top 6 club in order to get a call up

i think we'll see him in the next friendly, where southgate may be more willing to experiment

4 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Don't see the Ox playing as a central midfielder?  I think Mount is better able to perform that role.

I agree that Jack is not playing at "10" but I think he is a better "8" than the three above.  Rice is clearly a "4".  Haven't seen enough of Winks to know his best position.  Henderson has a great engine but is technically bereft in comparison to our Jack! 

That's his usual position since he joined Liverpool. One of the shuttlers either side of the holding midfielder (similar to McGinn)

Should of either been a penalty then or Lansbury goal stood, ridiculous to the point that ref looked without a doubt against us with the fact he looked corrupt as **** because of the way he acted in that decision alone.

Slow to get going. Was an absolutely brilliant run and assist in the final minute that was ridiculously pulled up for a dive, this shows what he can do at this level, but he's really struggling to affect games and deliver consistently, our season hinges on him adapting to this level better very soon.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

He needs to get further forward, and it needs to be made clear that if he doesn't we might need to drop him, for away games at least. Wesley needs somebody close to him, and Jack doesn't impose himself enough as a 'number 8'-type midfielder for me. 

He's definitely getting unfair treatment from the referees. He's (wrongly) seen as a diver and as a result the threshold for a foul being given seems to be higher for him. If there's any silver-lining today it's that maybe this controversy gets him fairer treatment in the future?

• Like 1

Â