The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I have been a harsh critic in the past but don't think he has done too much wrong this season other than the spurs mistake. Has he stood out as being better than anyone else? no, But nor  has he stood out as being worse than anyone else. Just part of a midfield that is playing reasonably well yet still has plenty of room for improvement. Same as everyone else really

• Like 1

Didn't see a problem  with giving Jack some mins, it was nice for crew to see our talent.

I think bringing Grealish on was just to make the wound deeper and it worked with the scoreline and I'm fine with doing that, Smith wants to show what Villa is made of no matter who the team is and that's just great.

versus Crewe.

22 minutes played.

Only 1 assist.

Only 1 goal.

Against rubbish opposition.

Cant judge a player against lower opposition (unless they play badly then we can).

bang average, needs to step it up, minimum 2 goals / 2 assists needed in those 22 minutes.

need to move him to RB, Bruce was right, would make good defensive RB.

We really should have got Austin.

that is all.

• Haha 1

Smith must have been reading my mind, as I was thinking that it would be a good idea to bring on Grealish to see if he can get a goal or an assist, just to get him going in that regard for the season. Could prove to be a masterstroke, as whilst it was only a league two side, I'm sure the goal and very good assist will give him all the more confidence going into the Palace game.

• Like 1

After seeing the speed he broke against Spurs and the way he setup the goal last night, maybe Jack is being used a bit too deep in the league. 

Could Nakamba come in and then Jack have more or a free role further up the field. Like a Hazard type role. 

Or would he a little wasted and does he need to be involved all over the pitch?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After seeing the speed he broke against Spurs and the way he setup the goal last night, maybe Jack is being used a bit too deep in the league. 

Could Nakamba come in and then Jack have more or a free role further up the field. Like a Hazard type role. 

Or would he a little wasted and does he need to be involved all over the pitch?

well, Deano has said numerous times that he tells Jack to play further up the field, i kinda wonder if Jack coming deep is something he does and he cant stop himself from doing it at times, like he wants to influence the game and keeps coming deep to try and do so.

He did it a lot in the championship and i remember an interview with DS saying he has told Grealish to stay further forward as thats where he can impact the game most.

If anything, i think the only criticism from me for Grealish both last year and this, is that at times he tries to do everything which unfortunately hinders his attacking play a little, like coming deep to the DM or playing in line with the center backs, rather than trusting the defenders/DM etc to do their job and get the ball to him further up the pitch.

Not a criticism as such, but he would prob be a little more effective if he concentrated on the MC/AM areas, rather than going as deep as the DC, DM, whilst also covering the MC/AM area.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

well, Deano has said numerous times that he tells Jack to play further up the field, i kinda wonder if Jack coming deep is something he does and he cant stop himself from doing it at times, like he wants to influence the game and keeps coming deep to try and do so.

He did it a lot in the championship and i remember an interview with DS saying he has told Grealish to stay further forward as thats where he can impact the game most.

If anything, i think the only criticism from me for Grealish both last year and this, is that at times he tries to do everything which unfortunately hinders his attacking play a little, like coming deep to the DM or playing in line with the center backs, rather than trusting the defenders/DM etc to do their job and get the ball to him further up the pitch.

Not a criticism as such, but he would prob be a little more effective if he concentrated on the MC/AM areas, rather than going as deep as the DC, DM, whilst also covering the MC/AM area.

There is something to this. Entirely different players but Rooney used to always do this when playing up top. You’re right that sometimes even the best players need to accept they can’t do EVERYTHING and instead hold a certain position waiting for the right opportunity (and then, of course, we moan about them not working hard enough - that’s what being a fan involves!).

Overall though Grealish is doing just fine.

45 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hoping not being included in the england squad isnt going to knock his confidence. Hoping for the opposite effect. Oxlade chamberlain ffs

Jack will get there eventually, but I don't think you can criticise Southgate for preferring Oxlade Chamberlain - he's more mature, has more experience at the highest level, and were it not for injury, would have been an England regular for the last couple of years.

Jack IMO still has another gear to go up to, and when he hits that this season, he'll give Southgate no choice but to select him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Jack will get there eventually, but I don't think you can criticise Southgate for preferring Oxlade Chamberlain - he's more mature, has more experience at the highest level, and were it not for injury, would have been an England regular for the last couple of years.

Jack IMO still has another gear to go up to, and when he hits that this season, he'll give Southgate no choice but to select him.

Exactly this. Not sweating it at all, and I don't think Jack is as well. 

The call up will come but he has to earn it and he knows that himself. If Southgate has based selection on the first 3 games then Jack has fairly been omitted. Just has to keep working hard and keep trying to adapt and improve at this level.

On 28/08/2019 at 16:42, MaVilla said:

I agree with this.  It seems like SJM is the one who tends to push further forward.  He has taken a number of shots this season and clearly scored v Spurs and seems to leave the carrying to Jack.  Personally, I would prefer to see SJM sitting deeper - he still has an engine that would allow him to join the offence - with Jack as an out and out "10".  There are a lot of comparisons with Maddison, often criticising Jack's goal and assist stats, but he is clearly playing a different role for Leicester where he is an out and out "10" in front of two CM'ers.  I would personally also love to see a diamond with Marvelous at the base, Dougie and SJM either side and Jack as a "10" off Davis and Wes - I think that front 3 would create panic amongst most defences!

Perversely, I thought Jack playing as an "8" would make it easier to get into the England team as Southgate does not have an equivalent - Henderson, Rice and Winks are all sitters (or "4"s for me) and are not great ball carriers whereas Mount, Maddison, Barkley, the Ox and Lindgard are all "10"s of a sort.  A midfield of Winks, Jack and Maddison would be really progressive and would play front foot football!

45 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Jack was better in the POF than Mount. Mount has upped a gear since, I hope this motivates Jack. Instead of passing he needs to use his laces. 

I think it's more Mount is playing for Chelsea and Jack's been defending on the edge of our box for two of our three games.

The more we run games, the more influence Jack will have. Right now, there's no way Mount is a better player than him for me.

Lingard? Nah

Barkley? Nah

Winks? Nah

He'll get into this squad if we have a good season, I'm certain. Lingard won't be making the euros so there's a spot right there.

• Like 4

Mount, Barkley and Maddison are getting called up as options to play between the midfield and the strikers, Grealish isn't going to get called up for that role because it's not where he's been playing for us, so unless we start playing further him forward either as a wide attacker or just behind Wesley it doesn't really matter whether he's better than Mount, Maddison and Barkley or not, it's like saying he should get a call up because he's better than Danny Rose.

He's playing as a central midfielder so is more in competition with Winks, Henderson, Rice, and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Â