The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think you have to compare players of similar roles. Comparing the key passes of a ballplaying defender to a playmaker is utterly pointless for instance. I just find using the fact that Grealish is between 7th-9th place on key passes, to rather uninteresting. Cause it doesn't say a lot about his performance at all, and my point was simply that there's no error in saying he passes a lot backwards and sideways even, if he has some key passes. 

Now for what it's worth, I think Grealish is a fantastic passer of the ball, so I wouldn't be surprised if he improved on that key passing over the season, but I still want him to be more direct, cause we need more attacking influence from him. 

I can see what you're saying that's he's more a box-to-box midfielder atm, but for me his offensive performance has to outweight his obvious defensive flaws, and I just can't see it from the last three matches.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see how it progresses this season. 

image.png.9a74bbd5f77d426e1ef448ae6b053373.png

They also have exact equal numbers for passes made and pass completion. To the decimal.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wouldn't be surprised cause he stalls so much on the foul and always seeks the free kick. But you are wrong there. It does align. From what I can see his not 5th either, he's on a shared 7th. And that's key passes per game. When Grealish is given the ball all the time to pass it backwards or sideways, obviously some of those will lead to a key pass. The more passes you have the more likely you are to get a key pass. He's basically our main man, and after two home matches where we are supposed to have a lot of possession, it's no surprise he has a few key passes. Unless they've changed it, it's basically just a pass that leads to a shot or go at goal isn't it? 

And giving him credit for Luiz solo goal is just absurd. Like SGC said any idiot could make that pass backwards. It was nothing creative about it. That was 100% Luiz individual skill, and trying to pretend Grealish had anything to do with that is just insulting to Luiz. Grealish made a pass connection and didn't lose possession, which is something he's excellent at, but that's where it stops. Lets just keep the praise for when it's actually deserved. But based on this thread we all know that's not the case with JG. 

Wow, just thought I would look in on the Grealish thread and found myself engulfed in a vast, complex and largely impenetrable debate about the lad, using lots of virtually unintelligible numbers.

Where did all this come from? 

I’m not going to trawl back through the undergrowth to find the exact reference but I am amazed at the report that Grealish has been the subject of criticism by @sir_gary_cahill - head and shoulders the best current product of SGC’s beloved youth squad and he’s slagging him off?

That is quite remarkable and worthy of a whole thread on its own!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Don't mind me. I don't even bet. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the matter. Perhaps not worded as well as I'd intended.

That's great that you bet with amounts that are affordable. I only lend what I can afford to lose, so I can relate to the wisdom in that principle.

However the aim of placing a bet is in the hope that it comes good and you gain on your initial investment, yes?

So all I'm saying is I can't really understand why you bet against the team you support, as in doing so you are guaranteed disappointment one way or the other.

Villa wins, you're betting outcome is not what you wanted, Villa loses, then the outcome of the game is not what you wanted.

As I said, don't mind me, I just can't understand why of all the bets that can be made, why you'd choose that one.

(Completely off topic - Sorry Jacky!)

The thing is, the result is going to be what it'll be whether you bet on it or not. So put it this way, when Villa lost to Bournemouth, if you were a gambler, would you prefer we lost to Bournemouth and you made no money from it, or we lost to Bournemouth and you made some money? :lol:

You know when you play one of those games where you just know that we're not going to get a result? That tends to be when I'd bet against Villa. You'd have gotten a good price for Bournemouth as well, 2/1 I think it was.

It's the same as when you just know that some annoying team like Man Utd or Liverpool is going to pull it out of the bag when it matters, so you back them. You don't want them to win, because they're Man Utd, but you just know they're going to. So when you check the scores that night, you go "As I thought, Man Utd have beaten [team], typical... but at least I put them in my acca"

23 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok when I have a little time earlier I’ll prove otherwise.

Hope you don't mind me asking you dude but, are you in a time warp or something? If so, can you please let me know all the scores for the whole of this season as well as next week's Euro millions numbers, ta. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Hope you don't mind me asking you dude but, are you in a time warp or something? If so, can you please let me know all the scores for the whole of this season as well as next week's Euro millions numbers, ta. 

I’ll tell you yesterday. 

• Haha 2

Did I just read we aren’t giving Grealish any credit for the Luiz goal?! Didn’t he pick the ball up, drive forward towards/into the box, draw some players, then free up Douglas on the edge of the box in space? Similar to how he teed up Hourihane in the playoffs?

I don’t have time to look to rewatch it right now but that’s definitely my memory.

(It goes without saying that those criticising him are also entirely missing the point he was once again the heartbeat of the team versus Everton simply because he didn’t get an assist or goal himself, I’m not going to try to argue that, but I’m genuinely surprised that people’s understanding of football would be that Douglas Luiz scored that goal on his own in a vacuum).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Did I just read we aren’t giving Grealish any credit for the Luiz goal?! Didn’t he pick the ball up, drive forward towards/into the box, draw some players, then free up Douglas on the edge of the box in space? Similar to how he teed up Hourihane in the playoffs?

I don’t have time to look to rewatch it right now but that’s definitely my memory.

(It goes without saying that those criticising him are also entirely missing the point he was once again the heartbeat of the team versus Everton simply because he didn’t get an assist or goal himself, I’m not going to try to argue that, but I’m genuinely surprised that people’s understanding of football would be that Douglas Luiz scored that goal on his own in a vacuum).

It's almost a carbon copy of that goal. These criticisms are deja vu from last season. We had to win just 2 from 13 while he was out, then 10 from 10 when he came back for them to die down. It's like people have short memories. He's vital.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Farlz said:

EC-JJkCXsAI9F81?format=jpg&name=small

A picture which perfectly sums up how much of an influence Jack is. The way he draws opponents onto him and creates space for teammates is second to none and a big reason McGinn is able to flourish next to him. 

Great picture!

47 minutes ago, Farlz said:

EC-JJkCXsAI9F81?format=jpg&name=small

A picture which perfectly sums up how much of an influence Jack is. The way he draws opponents onto him and creates space for teammates is second to none and a big reason McGinn is able to flourish next to him. 

Fake news, he's dog shit, and we already have one player in our starting 11 who knows how to pass a football.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Fake news, he's dog shit, and we already have one player in our starting 11 who knows how to pass a football.

I'll tell you what we could desperately use a copy of Neil Taylor in every position and just play them every game.

Â