The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Genuine question @KenjiOgiwara. What is it you would need to see from Grealish in order for him to change your opinion? And, whatever that is, do you think he has it in him (or do you see no prospect of your view being changed?).

I take some what pride in not locking my mind up about anything. I call it as I see it and if that change, then I change my opinion along with it. Most recent example in regards to AVFC would be N. Taylor. 

For my part with Grealish is that he needs to find his role. He definately is much stronger going forwards than defensively. I just need to see him more direct. More urgent. More pacy offball movement. More selfish. More clinical. More involved in the box. I want a higher tempo from him in general, especially going forward. He treads the ball a lot, which is bloody annoying cause he has a terrific pass on him and vision to go along with. If Deano wants us to adapt a 451 as it's presented this season, then I need to see more in the attacking play of Grealish. Ultimately I get excited when McGinn gets the ball going forward. Same for our wingers and Wesley. Grealish who should be a man of excitement considering he's a playmaker, just makes me think " oh here's another 1 step forward, 2 steps backward scenario. Here's another sideways or backwards pass".

Now I accept some of this might be a tactical call by Deano where he wants Grealish to stay further back, and that's pretty much the only redeeming factor for him these first 3 matches for me.

And I also think his shots are weak as piss. Almost every time he takes a shot it feels you're watching a small kid striking the ball. He's bulked up the last season and that's a good thing, but his shots are pretty shite. I had hope after his one wonderstrike he had learned how to strike a ball, but it's very much the same over and over. 

I definately think he has the potential. He has come on leaps and bounds the last couple of years. But he needs to add some sharpness to his attacking play for my part, or he just isn't a good attacking midfielder. And then the real question is whether we can afford two deep laying playmakers in the same starting eleven. 

He needs to adapt to his team mates though. I have to give him that. It's a new team to everyone including Grealish, so he'll probably get better with every match.

17 minutes ago, Avfc1590 said:

Can i ask how my post was silly? 

Already covered that in a post. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

its something you see a lot from our own fans about jack, slows the play down, there is a long maybe interesting explanation as to why I think that is, basically its because he's like a chess player seeing 2/3 moves in front of him, he's looking for something, often not finding it (we have at times had beyond awful movement, especially upfront) and then going backwards 

not always the case but often when he slows it down im looking to see what those around him do, the movement of opposition towards him has already been discussed, the movement of our own players is something else that needs to be taken in to consideration

I don't grealish does much aimlessly, including getting the ball forward, he doesn't play many if any percentage balls in to space for someone to contest, I think McGinn has a bit more get forward and lets see what happens about him but jacks far more measured

its almost like a QB when he lines up before a play trying to read the defence, read who will do what, who can he commit, who can he get to step offside, who can he move about to where he wants them to be and then can his team mates take advantage of it, you cant do that quickly, it takes patience 

He has quality and needs to adapt to the pace of this league. His ceiling IMO is not as high as other fans suggest, he's someway behind Maddison for example and I'm not sure even with time he will get to his level, but he will nevertheless be an important player for us and will get better over the course of the season.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has quality and needs to adapt to the pace of this league. His ceiling IMO is not as high as other fans suggest, he's someway behind Maddison for example and I'm not sure even with time he will get to his level, but he will nevertheless be an important player for us and will get better over the course of the season.

out of interest behind Maddison in terms of what?

stats - goals and assists - he will never be as good as Maddison, passing ability? influence on a game? I think you can argue he's not far behind, influence you can say he's there already but its near impossible to measure (unless you want to use the cliché that goals and assists are the ultimate influence) 

with better players around him he'll play better too, slowing it down to see wait until he sees a pass for example, if he had Sancho, sterling and kane in front of him and then Henderson and Maddison alongside him i think you'd see some impressive stats for him

I think he’s been good without being great, like most of the team overall. 

We hold him in high esteem and to high standards, a lot of the focus has been on him in terms of our media coverage and general publicity so he’s probably feeling the pinch a little bit in terms of demand and stress.

Im sure he’ll settle into it, how good he becomes then I don’t know but he can and will be effective.

McGinn is starting to grab a lot of the attention so that may help Jack.

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

out of interest behind Maddison in terms of what?

stats - goals and assists - he will never be as good as Maddison, passing ability? influence on a game? I think you can argue he's not far behind, influence you can say he's there already but its near impossible to measure (unless you want to use the cliché that goals and assists are the ultimate influence) 

with better players around him he'll play better too, slowing it down to see wait until he sees a pass for example, if he had Sancho, sterling and kane in front of him and then Henderson and Maddison alongside him i think you'd see some impressive stats for him

I think at this point in time Maddison is better in almost every single department, especially passing and vision. I'm sure Grealish can close that gap over time but not clear to me he will ever been a superior to Maddison.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 18/08/2019 at 23:09, KentVillan said:

Let me explain football to you. You're right, Luiz still has a lot to do, so it's not like Grealish has created a clear-cut scoring chance, but he has done a lot more than you realise.

Here's where he receives the ball. Notice where the Bournemouth midfielders are.

grealish_1.thumb.jpg.472aefff69e599e1abb37fe023a9a000.jpg

Now here's where he takes the ball. Have a look at where all the Bournemouth midfielders are now. The defenders have come deep and everyone is focused on Jack.

grealish_2.thumb.jpg.31da36919ee9624a4296ae920e132662.jpg

Now here's the situation when Douglas Luiz receives the ball. Look where the nearest Bournemouth player is. Why does he have so much space? Because of Jack's run.

grealish_3.thumb.jpg.8b7a6983a63a8237a2490f781221afd2.jpg

To someone who knows nothing about football and has never played it and likes to get their opinions from places where people say "butthurt", this might look like a very basic backward pass (and as we all know, passing backwards is the work of Satan).

But it's a well worked move, and one that Jack has done for us before (e.g. Hourihane's goal against West Brom). Most wingers would be too focused on beating the man and trying to drill a percentage ball into the six yard box.

It takes a lot of skill and awareness to be able to carry the ball that close to a defender and still be able to look up and pick a surprise pass. Jack makes it look quite easy.

well explained.....Jack is not at his eye catching best....but getting through much team work......Jack will be back to his eye catching best in time, just helping all the new boys at present, settle in.

We as a team will improve significantly imo......all young boys too improving.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think at this point in time Maddison is better in almost every single department, especially passing and vision. I'm sure Grealish can close that gap over time but not clear to me he will ever been a superior to Maddison.

Well Mount and Wilson are 2 other big prospects too.

Jack is carrying a fair bit of responsibility right now.....He will be ok, when the other boys are settling in.....He will then be able to concentrate more on his own game.

I think Jack is playing very selfless at present, supporting and aiding ......All for the team.

Edited by TRO

I think Grealish is much more of a natural footballer than Maddison. Maddison is someone who can get goals and offer creativity in the final third, but he can't run games in the same way that Grealish can,  you'd never play Maddison in a midfield three, and expect him to dictate the pace of the game, I don't mean this a criticism as it's true for a lot of players that play in his position, but he's more of an highlights player, whereas Grealish is constantly involved all over the pitch.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have nothing against him, but I can see from the Jack Grealish fans on here that any sort of negative PoV will be judged as someone doesn't like him. Thanks for proving my point. 

You said you genuinely can't wait for him to be replaced.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

So you want our captain to be replaced so the debate on a villa forum will be more 'reasoned'?

Utterly baffling. 

Bets £200 on Everton to win and wants us to replace Jack so he can have a reasoned debate on Villatalk.

I smell a nose 😂 

• Like 2

It's quite easy to defend as I just don't think replacing him would be very difficult. Which is proven by his below par performances. He is quite some away from the quality of for instance Maddison who has already been mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bets £200 on Everton to win and wants us to replace Jack so he can have a reasoned debate on Villatalk.

I smell a nose 😂 

You really need to argue the case and not the person. 

Fwiw I've been betting against the Villa for 25 years. It always pays off. Either I have a good weekend or I make some money. 

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's quite easy to defend as I just don't think replacing him would be very difficult. Which is proven by his below par performances. He is quite some away from the quality of for instance Maddison who has already been mentioned. 

Let’s go with this then. In order to replace Jack for someone better in the ilk of Maddison (I don’t agree he is better than JG), how much do you think that would cost? Also, what guarantee would there be that this player would indeed be better than Jack, or more influential?

Jack hasn’t been at his dazzling best, but he sure as hell as been influential, retaining the ball, and creating chances. Without even being at his best. He will get better, adapt and grow like all others. 

He definitely isn’t near the top of the list of players to replace though. 

• Like 1

Â