The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

38 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No player is immune from criticism if it’s deserved. But based on last nights performance why does Jack deserve criticism? What did he do wrong? Played a role in the first goal, won free kicks in dangerous positions, barely lost the ball. 

Who would you replace him with?

2nd goal as well the defenders drew themselves to him and El Ghazi stormed through unnoticed

• Like 2

Looked a bit shaky in the first half and wasn't showing for the ball as much as usual, which was probably due to him being worried about getting caught on it and making a costly mistake again. He's finding his feet at this level and learning his limitations and where he sits in the pecking order of the league after being able to outclass absolutely everyone in the tier below. He'll get there, I'm sure.

I thought he played pretty well, had a role in both goals, was often behind a lot of our better attacking play and put in a good shift. There were a couple of times where he either took the wrong option or just played a flat out poor ball. There is an element of him not demanding the ball enough, especially earlier on in games, this was especially the case against Bournemouth.

For me he's just settling in and adapting to a much harder league. I seriously doubt we will ever see the Grealish of 'last season' at this level consistently, he's against significantly smarter and more athletic players. However I do think he will grow in confidence and become more effective and dominant. 

Drifted very much to the left flank looking at his heat map.

I Imagine this was because of Taylor being a more stay at home full back.

As much as I'd like to see him further up the pitch he was really involved and we won the game.

He'll get there, but he won't be as stand out as he was in the Championship, for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just baffled. When he gets the ball he runs forward a bit, hardly ever beats his man, passes it backwards or sideways. Often draws a free kick, but almost never beats his man. He is so far off the players you mentioned it's unreal, but that's subjective fair enough. Ashley Young was an incredible attacking threat.  Not even remotely comperable imo. 

It's not really a comparison. It's just players I used to love watching (Lee Hendrie never hit the levels of Yorke or Young). Jack is one of them.

Solid, decent enough performance vs Everton, seems some just need to get on our players backs expecting world class performances every week, need a scape goat. Up against a very good midfield, I thought Trezeguet, Jack, Luiz and McGinn all put in a shift without sparkling. Jota shone brightest. Statistically McGinn was our highest rated midfielder but that went unnoticed by me, just shows we all watch different games.

Looking at Whoscored, no evidence of Jack going missing, for me he never does:

Shots: 2

Key passes: 1

Dribbles: 2    (only Jota higher)

Passing Accuracy: 87.9%    (the highest of any Villa, second highest on the pitch) 

Touches: 56    (the highest of any Villa)

Bad Control: 1    (eg Trezeguet had 7)

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Solid, decent enough performance vs Everton, seems some just need to get on our players backs expecting world class performances every week, need a scape goat every week. Up against a very good midfield, I thought Trezeguet, Jack, Luiz and McGinn all put in a shift without sparkling. Jota shone brightest.

Looking at Whoscored, no evidence of Jack going missing, for me he never does:

Shots: 3

Key passes: 1

Dribbles: 2 (only Jota higher)

Passing Accuracy: 87.9% (the highest of any Villa, second highest on the pitch) 

Touches: 56 (the highest of any Villa)

Bad Control: 1 (eg Trezeguet had 7)

Also highest of villa players in passes. 

So touches the ball and passes the ball more than anyone else and again some make it out he is no where to be seen. 

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Looked a bit shaky in the first half and wasn't showing for the ball as much as usual, which was probably due to him being worried about getting caught on it and making a costly mistake again. He's finding his feet at this level and learning his limitations and where he sits in the pecking order of the league after being able to outclass absolutely everyone in the tier below. He'll get there, I'm sure.

Yeah I definitely noticed he wasn't his usual self, and worryingly didn't seem to believe he was as good as he so clearly is. Maybe a bit of a wobble in confidence after difficult two weeks and this ridiculous losing run that everyone keeps mentioning.

Hopefully now the monkey is off his back he will kick on. 

Have to say the crowd were excellent with him last night. When clearly struggling they kept singing his name. Good to see

He'll come good, he is far too good not to

Edited by ramshackler

On 24/08/2019 at 09:03, useless said:

Our best and most influential player, some might not realise it now but if he was to get injured you'd soon notice how much we'd miss him.

Of come off it

If that were the case we would have performed substantially worse last year during the time he was injured......oh hang on.... wait a minute

idiot facepalm GIF

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Warning signs of a stroke:

• Numbness or weakness in your face, arm, or leg, especially on one side
  • Confusion or trouble understanding other people
  • Difficulty speaking
  • Trouble seeing with one or both eyes
  • Problems walking or staying balanced or coordinated
  • Dizziness
  • Severe headache that comes on for no reason
  • Not rating Jack Grealish
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Amazing. People can't admit he is poor. Played his part in being poor. Yes you are correct. 

We will never do anything in this league if that's the standard we require from a playmaker with very little defensive duties. If he doesn't finish and score more, doesn't create more directly, then he must add other dimensions to his game, like physicality and tackling and become a boxtobox player. Right now he's a deep laying playmaker spreading passes pretending to be a CAM, when we already got Luiz and are playing a 451. It directly affects how potent we are in attack. We can't afford both Luiz and Jack excelling in the same stuff. We need more going forward from Jack and that's how it is. 

You have decided all that based upon a 3-game sample size? 

11 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Warning signs of a stroke:

• Numbness or weakness in your face, arm, or leg, especially on one side
  • Confusion or trouble understanding other people
  • Difficulty speaking
  • Trouble seeing with one or both eyes
  • Problems walking or staying balanced or coordinated
  • Dizziness
  • Severe headache that comes on for no reason
  • Not rating Jack Grealish

Two old ladies sitting on a bench, a streaker runs past, one has a stroke, the other couldn’t reach.

• Haha 4

Jack's been involved in 3 of our 4 goals this season. Assist for Douglas. Quick free kick which set Jota and Guilbert off for Wesley's goal. And helped create the space for AEG to run into.

He also had our highest pass accuracy last night according to WhoScored, despite being in the middle of the park and under constant pressure from Everton players.

And since when was there a rule in that you can't have two playmakers in a midfield? Not sure what David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne would say about that.

Impressive commitment to an opinion, but really if you think Grealish is genuinely playing badly, rather than just failing to meet our very high expectations, then you need to show why rather than just repeating it over and over again. What is it that he's doing wrong? Is his defensive work really as bad as is being made out? Show us.

Â