The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Let's be realistic here, Grealish had an off day. He wasn't at his usual best, anyone disputing that clearly didn't watch the full 90 minutes.

However in saying this he was still our biggest threat, he showed this in working the space for Luiz's goal. 

He totalled 6 Key Passes in the game, last season his average was 4 per game. So in that respect he is still creating chances despite the step up to the PL.

However, his pass success rate against Bournemouth was 79.6% (although very good), last season his average was 85.2%. And this showed during the game as he misplaced more passes than usual.

The last time he fell below 80% pass success rate was against Sheff Wed in April where he had a 73% pass success rate.

Yeah, he was uncharacteristically sloppy with his passing in the first half but certainly picked it up in the second. Honestly think it's just the pace of the PL that he's getting used to. He still thinks he has more time on the ball than he actually does, and these are the bad habits that being in the Championship can breed.

The good news is, it's an adjustment that will easily come after a few games under his belt. There's no doubt he has the ability and the football IQ to make the adjustment. All he needs is time to get used to it. And that goes for a lot of our team to be honest. So far, it seems only Tyrone has taken to the PL like a duck to water, but he's also not a midfielder so you can say it's easier for him to adjust. He's also played in the league recently.

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Great we agree then. That's basically what I said. I did it without being condescending mind. The fact that you think you a) are some kinda football expert b) have any idea about others qualifications without knowing them. Well the the world of Trump and brexit it's not surprising. The voters had to be found somewhere. Well now you got me to your level. 

You asked to be condescended by calling people rocket polishers, the butthurt Grealish fan club, and that anyone who said Grealish set up the goal was talking horse shit. I would have responded more politely otherwise. I'm a bit confused about why you've tried to turn this into a YouTube comments thread!? You're allowed to criticise Jack, but you don't seem willing to listen to the counter arguments without being abusive.

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Are you for real? The have come deep cause we got 6 players in their box. Ofc. Jack will have their attention, he was the bloody ball. Call me impressed. 

The reason Luiz stands in space is a) he took out depth b) Villa movement off ball, i.e. runs into the box. This is part of the glorification of Grealish here and exactly what I am on about. Frasier is pulled deep to cover a zone he doesn't wanna be in because of off ball movement.  Grealish having the ball is correct, but that's a collective move. And Grealish did nothing with that ball you wouldn't see from any other winger we got. 

It's Jack's run that pushes the offside trap back, sets up the potential ball into the box, and allows everyone to pile into the box. Compare the back line in the first two pictures. How can you ignore Jack's role in creating that space for Luiz?

I honestly don't think any of our other players has the close control to bring the ball that close to the defender while still playing with his head up, aware of all the options around him. Whatever you think about Jack's overall effectiveness, he has a superb touch and the ball sticks to his feet in a way that not many players in the league (let alone in our squad) can match. That allows him to do a lot of things that look deceptively simple, but are only possible because of his technique.

We're not trying to glorify him, but he's taking a lot of stick at the moment for some reason, and he deserves to be defended.

• Like 2

Actually if you read through this I haven't once been rude or abusive or condescending without someone retorting to that first. Amongst them you. But feel free to play the victim card.

I always prefer arguing the case before person, but VT is largely a place where if you don't follow the main stream opinion there's a lot of suppression techniques and ridicule. 

Now lets just say we disagree on how well Grealish played and leave it at that. Personally I hope we just replace him with someone next summer, so we won't have such incredibly biased views on a Villa man. Based on the first two matches, assuming we're still a PL team, finding a replacement of similar quality won't be too hard. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Actually if you read through this I haven't once been rude or abusive or condescending without someone retorting to that first. Amongst them you. But feel free to play the victim card.

I always prefer arguing the case before person, but VT is largely a place where if you don't follow the main stream opinion there's a lot of suppression techniques and ridicule. 

Now lets just say we disagree on how well Grealish played and leave it at that. Personally I hope we just replace him with someone next summer, so we won't have such incredibly biased views on a Villa man. Based on the first two matches, assuming we're still a PL team, finding a replacement of similar quality won't be too hard. 

Some fans think he played well though. There’s no bias. People are just telling it as they see it. As are you! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I always prefer arguing the case before person, but VT is largely a place where if you don't follow the main stream opinion there's a lot of suppression techniques and ridicule

Suppression techniques 🤣 

On 18/08/2019 at 18:01, kurtsimonw said:

Very good player, but it's a big step up to the Prem. This idea that Southgate is somehow mental for not picking him as a Championship player for the England squad is barmy. 

Agreed. I'm sure it's completely coincidental but like against Spurs, Jack wasn't at his best in a game last season (can't remember the opponent) that Southgate attended, so maybe he is just trying to hard?

Jack is a fantastic player and will be crucial for us this season. Yes he hasn't been at his best for the first couple of games but he certainly hasn't been as poor as some are suggesting imo. He is getting used to the step up like everyone else, but i believe he has more than enough quality to do so. Like the rest of the lads it may just take a few weeks to get into the swing of things. 

I'm not worried at all. 

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is not going to be kicked as much as last season, but he will also have less time on the ball.

joint 2nd most fouled player in the league so far with McGinn

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Thought we were past this getting promotion FFS.

He would still be the most fouled, but you'd hope he'd be more protected by the refs in this league. So far we haven't seen too many of the nasty challenges from the Championship that didn't even get carded.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He would still be the most fouled, but you'd hope he'd be more protected by the refs in this league. So far we haven't seen too many of the nasty challenges from the Championship that didn't even get carded.

Aside from Billing? :D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I called them a Kieftenbeld 🙄

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Aside from Billing? :D 

Yeah I had that in mind, but it's probably the only one I can think of so far this season. He used to get the 3/4 times a game in the Championship...usually 1 right at the start of the match...a Kieftenbeld if you will, to borrow a phrase from @Zatman

Jack Grealish on the stress test, getting shocked over wrong answer, it's pretty funny. Shocked I must admit like many other fans when asked when the club was founded lol.

As he walks away, sure she is having a good perv on our Jacky boi's behind 😄

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/22/aston-villa-fans-react-on-twitter-to-jack-grealishs-comments/

Â