The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Or the short version "If you thought Grealish played badly yesterday, you are wrong"

Cool. I must be wrong. Never mind. Hopefully my next opinion is a good one.

you're entitled to have absolutely any opinion you want

but be expected to be asked to back it up

• Like 1

Whilst I think Grealish has been fine so far, I do think he has plenty of room to improve until he hits his true ability.

But he's making a step up like everyone else is, so it's not exactly surprising he hasn't been as good as we all hope (and think) he will be.

I'm confident by the end of the season he'll have been one of our standout players.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you're entitled to have absolutely any opinion you want

but be expected to be asked to back it up

Apologies for not bringing any stats, figures or screenshots to the table. My main criticism of Jack is that he seems reluctant to dribble past players, which is probably his main asset as a player.

I've not been involved in any debates about Jack, but I've read that my opinion is wrong, which is a shame. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Apologies for not bringing any stats, figures or screenshots to the table. My main criticism of Jack is that he seems reluctant to dribble past players, which is probably his main asset as a player.

I've not been involved in any debates about Jack, but I've read that my opinion is wrong, which is a shame. 🤷‍♂️

Dont worry about it, those of us who aren't experts in the finer facets of the modern game and dont do essays and assignment level research and fact checking to back our opinions up in an endless point scoring exercise that could land us a job at footballstatnerds.com or summat just post our thoughts and chat with others who dont take this place so seriously. The rest can try and out 'Pep' each other in their own time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Dont worry about it, those of us who aren't experts in the finer facets of the modern game and dont do essays and assignment level research and fact checking to back our opinions up in an endless point scoring exercise that could land us a job at footballstatnerds.com or summat just post our thoughts and chat with others who dont take this place so seriously. The rest can try and out 'Pep' each other in their own time.

Phew, normal life. For a minute I thought I was on Twitter.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Haha

In other words, you don't like facts having an impact on your chats. 

So if someone disagrees with your chats it means they are taking it too seriously and writing essays to become football nerds and out pep each other? Haha both funny and pathetic in equal measures. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Haha

So if someone disagrees with your chats it means they are taking it too seriously and writing essays to become football nerds and out pep each other? Haha both funny and pathetic in equal measures. 

And its replies like this that just make people with less laser focused vision on all things villa and football who just want to post things and share a chat instead of mind numbing snarky debate want to not take part.

Just now, Ingram85 said:

And its replies like this that just make people with less laser focused vision on all things villa and football who just want to post things and share a chat instead of mind numbing snarky debate want to not take part.

From the man who used the phrase "out pep each other" to demean the opinions of those who used statistics to support their opinion. 

Interesting. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha

If someone disagrees I couldn't give a ****. Its the manner in the disagreement that gets more relaxed posters backs up and not want to come to on topic. 

That frothing at the mouth to discredit others when all they have said is 'Jack's been a bit meh, hope he gets better'. Its that attitude that's so prevalent on social media. That's what is annoying about it all.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

From the man who used the phrase "out pep each other" to demean the opinions of those who used statistics to support their opinion. 

Interesting. 

You realise you are doing what I've pointed out right?

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

You realise you are doing what I've pointed out right?

Haha this is getting a little bit childish, you started it style 

I'll bow out thanks. Got lots of research and essay writing to do for my next post, which hopefully lands me my dream job at footballstatnerds.com

Wish me luck. 

Edited by DCJonah

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That frothing at the mouth to discredit others when all they have said is 'Jack's been a bit meh, hope he gets better'. Its that attitude that's so prevalent on social media. That's what is annoying about it all.

that's not a problem

but that's not the extent of the criticism that has got other poster's backs up

Haha this is getting a little bit childish, you started it style 

I'll bow out thanks. Got lots of research and essay writing to do for my next post, which hopefully lands me my dream job at footballstatnerds.com

Wish me luck. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thought he was poor for the first twenty minutes, as the rest of the team. But played well from there on. He had a good game, but not great. 

Our opinion certainly gets colored by the loss as well. Isn't it possible that he had poor and good spells in the same game? 

If we expect him to win games single handedly, we'll be disappointed this season. 

I don't get why we have to be in this team or that simply because we disagree with each other. And I certainly don't get the childish responses and bickering we get into, simply because someone is saying: I believe in x because of z and y. Some threads here has really been toxic the last couple of weeks. It's just point scoring, instead of discourse. At both sides of the arguments.

Without the use of stats, studying or otherwise, here's my rough take on the 'Grealish was okay, but not good or great' opinion:

Last season, after Jack came back from injury, it was nearly always him or McGinn who looked like our best player. Mings also got a lot of plaudits, rightly, but I think I'm right in saying that Jack and McGinn were usually the best two.

Against Bournemouth I'd say that McGinn, Douglas (after the error), Engels, Mings, Elmo and Trezequet were all better than Jack. That's not to say that Jack didn't do good things, but I didn't come out of the game thinking that Jack and McGinn had ran the show, like I did for 80% of our 2019 Championship games.

Maybe it's because we've now surrounded Jack with better players? Or maybe it's because it's just one game (it's not fair to judge Jack on his creativity in the Spurs game where we were backs to the wall for so long), but I don't feel like he's looked like the £35m-price-tag Grealish that Spurs wanted, when he's been outplayed by £8-10m players in our line-up.

Of course, it's subjective, it's one game, stats will prove me otherwise yada yada yada. I'm just saying. Is it expecting too much, to want Jack to look like one of our best players? Maybe. But I didn't want Jack to step up and then look like just another lower Prem player, I wanted him to step up his game and run the show like we know he can.

• Like 3

Â