The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

On 05/07/2010 at 17:37, sir_gary_cahill said:

Been selected for England u16 trials next month despite being only 14, he's a great talent, plays left wing, he was regular in our u16s last season when he was an u14.

Bump - what a long way he has come since this post way back in 2010.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just imagine, this could (wont though) be his last ever game in our colours. So try to enjoy it. Wow thats a realisation that just hit home a lot faster than I thought 😕

You shut your dirty mouth!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d call it winning a foul if that makes sense. The defenders reaction or lack of it says it all. 

The parlance amongst referees is “drawing” the foul.  Upper level players do it all the time.   Just because a foul is drawn does not mean that it is no longer a foul.  

Defenders stepping up to draw an offside call are doing the same thing   Absurd to punish it 

didnt play well tonight, too ponderous on the ball tbh.

Not helped by all the static players around him though, the teams overall movement was really poor.

• Like 2

I thought he had a good game tbh.

He’s at the stage now where he’s delivering a 7.5/10 performance as a bare minimum in pretty much every game. 

The way he draws players in is unreal, there was a moment when he had the ball just inside their box and four players were attempting to close him down. There were the odd flashes of magic when he drifted past a couple of players here and there, but it was more his general distribution that impressed me, he just hardly ever gives it away. 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

He was decent, for his standards he has struggled in both legs, they had a clear plan for him and it worked very well, unlikely Saturday he didn't have the moments of quality tonight. Overall though I don't think anyone can say he played poorly, he was still at the heart of a lot of things going forward.

He's not Lionel Messi, there was zero space for him and very poor movement from some of our players. I think he was a bit guilty of over playing it at times but he had to take those risks, as he's a talented player and the only one who could probably magic something in such a compact area.

He'll have more joy vs Leeds provided they don't kick him to pieces again, or Derby should they somehow get through.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Johansen is a good player at this level, and he marked Grealish very well in both matches. I think he'll have a bit more joy against Leeds or especially Derby. 

On another note Johansen should have seem red in 1st game. Made some poor tackles tonight too 

Another shit ref performance 

Every one of our attacking players looked rubbish, but I can't help but think because West Brom put on a bloody good game of defending. They were like us versus Boro last season - it was a real grind. Jack meanwhile did his thing, won free kicks, played the ball etc etc. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On another note Johansen should have seem red in 1st game. Made some poor tackles tonight too 

Another shit ref performance 

No denying it. There was one tonight that was particularly cynical where he simply poleaxed Grealish. But he did an excellent marking job. 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Johansen is a good player at this level, and he marked Grealish very well in both matches. I think he'll have a bit more joy against Leeds or especially Derby. 

He's an extremely good negative player, cannot remember him doing anything with the ball but he's superb at fouling and good at doing a man to man marking job, I think these last two games were the hardest Grealish has had all season in terms of being able to consistently have his way with his opponent. Johanssen is the reason for that.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

didnt play well tonight, too ponderous on the ball tbh.

Not helped by all the static players around him though, the teams overall movement was really poor.

Same criticism I had of him last game, and in a couple of games before that.

Sometimes he takes way too long, or makes the wrong decisions.

However sometimes he can create magic out of nothing, and/or be unplayable.

If we go to the PL especially though, this will HAVe to improve IMO.

You could be right though, the players around him need to be on a similar wavelength.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's an extremely good negative player, cannot remember him doing anything with the ball but he's superb at fouling and good at doing a man to man marking job, I think these last two games were the hardest Grealish has had all season in terms of being able to consistently have his way with his opponent. Johanssen is the reason for that.

Apparently I can't 'like' any more posts today, but yes, I completely agree with that analysis.

I thought he was fine, got the ball passed the ball made himself available for it again, kept it ticking over, spread it wide when he could, always man marked, sometimes doubled or tripled up on

seen plenty of bitter baggies fans stating Grealish is shit and McGinn is better, McGinn is a great player too, its games like these 2 when they try and nullify jack that he should be the main beneficiary of the extra time and space afforded to him

we need more players around him like McGinn, better full backs and more willing runners

• Like 1

Â