The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Indeed I think in Grealish's case I wouldn't be that surprised if the club did suggest it, not only as a show of faith in Jack (this is what we think you are worth to us) but also as a target. If we don't go up this season, would anyone be gutted with £60m for him? I suspect not. Not really. That money, in this league even if you knock off a couple of dozen million for FFP is insane. The club would obviously take that, they would probably take £40m actually, but it is a show of ambition if nothing else. A signal of sorts to say he is simply not available unless you stump up stupid money. You can sod off if you think you're nabbing him for £20m... or £3m plus Josh Onomah. 

It should be said that I understand in La Liga a release clause is required in every players contract, so everyone, particularly for prestige players, puts enormous figures in there. In some cases a club will know they'll want to cash in a player's value down the line but they'll still put a ridiculous fee in the clause just in case.

I suspect in Grealish's case, it's a bit of a compromise between all parties. He's, sadly, going to want to leave if we don't go up, and we obviously know he's a valuable asset in playing and fee sense. The clause is set at a level that ensures the club gets good money for him if he went and we insisted on the clause being met, but also isn't set so high the clause isn't really worth anything (as nobody would pay it), which offers some reassurance to Grealish that we would in good faith let him go.

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

On Jack, sure I agree you might be right, but not necessarily.

As a general point, no. Clubs in the past (e.g. Barcelona) have put monumental clause fees in player contracts to protect their footballing assets from being bought unless for daft sums - Neymar being a case in point - which mean they are way over-compensated for the player going. Neymar's (and his agent) are happy to accept because of the rich rewards, the club protects their investment in wages and fee for him and PSG were mad enough to pay 200 million or whatever it was for him. Coutinho Liverpool was another one. These huge sums were not player demands, they were club demands.

Spanish clubs have to put buy out clauses in by law, so they’re always ridiculously high for the exact reason that they don’t protect the clubs asset, they weaken it.

The problem was the money in the game suddenly caught up and some of them weren’t unobtainable anymore, hence why Neymar got bought. 

But that clause didn’t mean they were overcompensated. If they didn’t have that clause they could have held out for more. 

At no point does having a minimum buyout clause protect your asset. It always weakens it (unless, again, the player wouldn’t have signed without one)

• Like 1

I might be wrong here but in la liga the minimum fee is determined by the wages, more wage higher fee, certainly some kind of correlation

I don't think it weakens our position, it should enable us to get a fee upfront rather than the usual levy £10 this season then a packet of crisps a month for the next 7 years with some buttons thrown in if spurs ever actually win anything 

It should enable us to get more cash upfront and more guaranteed cash rather than bonus or performance related money 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm baffled that everyone thinks he would just walk into a top 3 Premier League side and be a guaranteed starter.

Either way" POOR JACK?", yeah gets to captain his boyhood club, potentially take them to the Premier League, and make more per week in his early 20's than most make in a year for the trouble.

Poor Jack.

He would have broke into that team by now I have no doubt, especially with all those injuries. He would probably have been in that starting XI today, ahead of Alli perhaps whose had a poor season

He's had an amazing season, and he'll have no regrets. But if we don't get promoted this season he'll be looking at this and saying...yeah not gonna miss out on this again. Like he said, he's not getting any younger. I can't begrudge him anymore, and with that 60m clause to soften the blow I'll wish him well.

Of course none of that's going to mean anything because he's going to fire us into the PL :D 

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, guyavfc said:

Poor Jack, he could have been playing in the champions league final.

He'll know it too. I mean, he'll know that he is good enough to be on that pitch, in what is the pinnacle of world football. It'll only add fuel to his fire I think..

I've been avoiding this thread because Grealish is my favourite athlete since Michael Jordan and I only want to embrace the idea of us ascending under his leadership.

Wolves will be playing European football next season, no? Why can't that be us season after next..?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I might be wrong here but in la liga the minimum fee is determined by the wages, more wage higher fee, certainly some kind of correlation

I don't think it weakens our position, it should enable us to get a fee upfront rather than the usual levy £10 this season then a packet of crisps a month for the next 7 years with some buttons thrown in if spurs ever actually win anything 

It should enable us to get more cash upfront and more guaranteed cash rather than bonus or performance related money 

No I don’t think it would. 

How would it help us get money up front?

If a top side wants him in the summer then they’ll get him and it won’t be for 60 million. It’s not a figure that they have to pay. 

All that clause does is, if we were being super stubborn and not selling him, give other teams a way of buying him that we have no option but to accept. 

How is a clause with a fee that you have to accept stronger than having no clause at all?

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

We had to put a release clause in to get Jack to sign a contract

Exactly. That’s the only reason it will be there. 

If the £60M release clause is accurate, I'm surprised he agreed to that high a figure. Not that I don't rate him but no one will pay that willingly imo. I think he'll go for around the £20-25M mark if we don't get promoted. That's just my opinion.

Of course, lets just smash the playoffs and let him shine for us on the big stage next season.

13 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

If the £60M release clause is accurate, I'm surprised he agreed to that high a figure. Not that I don't rate him but no one will pay that willingly imo. I think he'll go for around the £20-25M mark if we don't get promoted. That's just my opinion.

Of course, lets just smash the playoffs and let him shine for us on the big stage next season.

He probably wanted lower and we probably wanted higher and we compromised  

Remember the clause isn’t just for this summer. It’s for the length of his contract. If we get promoted this season and Grealish looks as good in the premier league as we all hope he will then suddenly £60m won’t seem so expensive. 

I totally agree that if he goes in the summer it will be nowhere near the release clause. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

£20m... You honestly think that? 

Maddison went for £20m, however Norwich had/have money troubles. Grealish signed a 5 year contract last summer and is, in my humble opinion, a better player. Absolutely no way we let him go for £20m. 

My business partner is living in Spain at the minute. He's a converted Villa fan. He txt me the other day to say he mentioned this in a bar one night and the first thing the person he was chatting to asked about was Grealish. 

He's a potential superstar so whatever fee it is will have to be well in excess of anything the Championship has ever seen. I love Jack and I want him to succeed on a personal level too, but when it comes down to it we cannot afford to be bent over or bullied into selling him regardless of his wishes, financially or otherwise. I am sure he understands this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My guess would be 25-30 million if we’re still a championship club. 

This is objectively a fair price for him, however I of course wouldn't be upset at getting more than that for him.

• Like 1

When we were linked with Coutinho, I think it was under Lambert, Liverpool got him for 8.5million. I was disappointed. He ended up at Barca for over 100million.

5 or so years later, and I'd be disheartened, shattered even, for us to lose Grealish for the 'objectively fair' 25-30million.

Jack's talent and what I think we'll come to see, leadership, is going to be invaluable for this club..

If Fabian Delph can win the league with City and likewise Ashley Young with United.. The sky is the limit for Grealish.

Young's still playing and starting for United.. Jack's got the world at his feet.

• Like 4

It wont be enough because we'll tell them to piss off. We don't have to punt him off cheap because we haven't gone up (which won't happen, obviously).

Edited by Mazrim

Â