The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

The one thing they are right about it's that he complains to the ref a lot. But I think this had become more noticeable since his prolonged absence through injury. The guy wants to play football and wants to be there to help his club and he knows that these personal assaults on him could result in injury which would prevent him doing just that

Why should he be forced into the physio table just because some fat trog who can't handle his ability plows through him, seemingly with the blessing of the incompetent official.

Yes he whines and asks the ref how many times this is gonna happen. And I don't bloody blame him. If the lad had some protection he wouldn't be doing it

it's not just him - it's all our players. When they feel Jack isn't getting the protection he deserves, Whelan, Conor, McGinn, and Elmo tell every official that they're not doing their job; allowing 'free hits' on Jack as a marker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

it's not just him - it's all our players. When they feel Jack isn't getting the protection he deserves, Whelan, Conor, McGinn, and Elmo tell every official that they're not doing their job; allowing 'free hits' on Jack as a marker. 

And it’s about time too.

Weve been a very lightweight proposition for way too many years. We’ve always been susceptible to bullying and aggression.

Its part of Jacks job to moan to the Ref. To be in his ear about every poor tackle, and every foul. It’s not part of his job to make opposition fans like him.

At their peak, Man United would be ferocious in their reactions to poor challenges, decisions, and the rest. We don’t need to go to the extremes they did, but I’m more than happy to see us argue, moan, waste time, and the rest more than in the past...it’s not pretty but it’s necessary, in my view.

• Like 4

John Terry was one of the best for getting into the ear of the ref. As Captain its jack's responsibility to do that, it just so happens he is the one that's getting hacked down so makes it look like he is whining. 

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Whilst he’s been absolutely brilliant this season, I think his temper stops him being a great captain. He has a lot of credentials for the role but he kicks off too much. I love the passion that he shows but when things are kicking off he’s always one of the first to get stuck in pushing and grabbing/winding players up. It’s ideal as a mental tactic, but the captain should be the one calming everyone down and walking them away. Let the other teams get their players sent off. I know giving him him the armband is one of the things teams do to help keep players that other teams want, so I understand Dean’s thinking.

I agree with this, but it's still early days in his captaincy. There are obvious parallels with David Beckham - if he follows that pattern (playing for Villa, obviously), I'll be more than happy. 

• Like 1

On 06/07/2010 at 02:02, Mr_Dogg said:

A 14 year old has more technical ability than Adam Johnson?

I await this Messi/Van Basten/Xavi hybrid.

From the first page of this thread - actually not a bad comparison in all honesty lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

I wonder how the FA or referees would react if somebody kicked the shit out of Sterling, Hazard or Salah every game. I bet they would be quick to get out yellow cards

It's why I think Jack needs to be playing Premier League football next season whether it's with us or not.  The refs are so bad in this division, at least in the PL they protect skilful players more by booking earlier rather than allowing the 10 outfield players have a go each at Jack before showing one a yellow card.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 15:52, 7392craig said:

With what those players got away with back then, do you not think they’d spend half their time banned in today’s football? The game has changed and what with all the retrospective action that the powers that be have now, I’d rather our captain be the guy with a level head.

You'd have a point if Grealish's one and only ban for disciplinary reasons in his entire career to date wasn't a fairly innocuous double yellow over two seasons ago. 

It feels really trite to say he doesn't 'calm things down' when you've almost no evidence to back this up other than that bizarre incident on Sunday. A little bit of aggression, actually, is something I've been worried up until now that we lack. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You'd have a point if Grealish's one and only ban for disciplinary reasons in his entire career to date wasn't a fairly innocuous double yellow over two seasons ago. 

It feels really trite to say he doesn't 'calm things down' when you've almost no evidence to back this up other than that bizarre incident on Sunday. A little bit of aggression, actually, is something I've been worried up until now that we lack. 

I’m not necessarily worried about him being in trouble, as you say the red card a couple of years ago is hardly anything to complain about. My issue is that as captain it’s his job to help control the rest of the players when on the pitch, not incite them to kick off with the other players. I completely agree that we’ve lacked aggression for a long time, but in our play, not fighting with the other team. The evidence is there all the time, as he’s the first one in someone’s face when these things happen, I just don’t think it’s the way to deal with things. I certainly don’t think we should take the captaincy off of him, he’s young and full of fire, it’s just worrying right now, I’m sure it’s something he’ll mature with and learn to channel better with the right people in his ear.

1 hour ago, 7392craig said:

I’m not necessarily worried about him being in trouble, as you say the red card a couple of years ago is hardly anything to complain about. My issue is that as captain it’s his job to help control the rest of the players when on the pitch, not incite them to kick off with the other players. I completely agree that we’ve lacked aggression for a long time, but in our play, not fighting with the other team. The evidence is there all the time, as he’s the first one in someone’s face when these things happen, I just don’t think it’s the way to deal with things. I certainly don’t think we should take the captaincy off of him, he’s young and full of fire, it’s just worrying right now, I’m sure it’s something he’ll mature with and learn to channel better with the right people in his ear.

Have to respectfully disagree with you here. Aggression (within the laws) is a great way of unsettling your opponents and influencing crowds and even referees. I think it also has a way of showing your teammates that you have their back, which can make them more confident, better players. I think when we say we lack aggression we mean we lack hunger for the contest.

Im loving how Mings and Jack are showing a bit of grunt and a mean streak. I don’t think it’s a coincidence up until Leeds we had won 10 on the trot with this aggressive style...

22 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Have to respectfully disagree with you here. Aggression (within the laws) is a great way of unsettling your opponents and influencing crowds and even referees. I think it also has a way of showing your teammates that you have their back, which can make them more confident, better players. I think when we say we lack aggression we mean we lack hunger for the contest.

Im loving how Mings and Jack are showing a bit of grunt and a mean streak. I don’t think it’s a coincidence up until Leeds we had won 10 on the trot with this aggressive style...

Again, aggressive style is fine, we need more of it. I’m talking about getting in players faces and causing rows. Players get sent off for that, the captain in my opinion should be the one calming everyone down in those situations. I find it strange how so many people are using it as a positive, yet in the pre match threads so many people have spoke about Mings’ tendency to get wound up, worrying that he’ll get himself sent off. This is the same thing. In no way do I want any of our players to lack aggression, just not when it comes to off the ball issues.

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Look at him diving all over the place.

Good clip.

The thing is, if two, or three, of those players had been sent off for what was obviously premeditated assault, he might not now, 5 years later, still be targeted in this way. They had little idea how else to deal with him then, they’ve no more idea now.

7 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Again, aggressive style is fine, we need more of it. I’m talking about getting in players faces and causing rows. Players get sent off for that, the captain in my opinion should be the one calming everyone down in those situations. I find it strange how so many people are using it as a positive, yet in the pre match threads so many people have spoke about Mings’ tendency to get wound up, worrying that he’ll get himself sent off. This is the same thing. In no way do I want any of our players to lack aggression, just not when it comes to off the ball issues.

Maybe they're different people? I have no concerns over Mings aggressive style, I accept he is going to get sent off occasionally (hopefully very occasionally), that the aggression is part of his game and that red cards are part of the game full stop. 

You'll never see an incident like Sunday ever again I wouldn't expect either. It's not enough evidence to go on. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe they're different people? I have no concerns over Mings aggressive style, I accept he is going to get sent off occasionally (hopefully very occasionally), that the aggression is part of his game and that red cards are part of the game full stop. 

You'll never see an incident like Sunday ever again I wouldn't expect either. It's not enough evidence to go on. 

I never brought it up because of the incident in the last game, it’s something I’ve seen in him the last couple of seasons, which I wasn’t too concerned about until he became captain. It’s probably best to agree to disagree on this. I just personally feel the captain should hold himself to higher standards than his team mates and be the one who can keep a clear head.

26 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I never brought it up because of the incident in the last game, it’s something I’ve seen in him the last couple of seasons, which I wasn’t too concerned about until he became captain. It’s probably best to agree to disagree on this. I just personally feel the captain should hold himself to higher standards than his team mates and be the one who can keep a clear head.

I've got to agree with DDID. He's learning from the one of the best captains, John Terry. He's learning how to use his influence as captain to dictate how the match should be officiated, and protect himself. I don't see any other captain doing anything different to be fair. 

Jack's instrumental to this team both physically and mentally. 

Â