The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1   Jack GrealishAston Villa, 23, AM(CL) 31 2699 6 6 2.1 2.3 1.7 4.8 0.1 2.2 1.3 7.44
2   Daniel JamesSwansea, 21, AM(L),FW 27(5) 2423 4 7 2.7 1.2 1.3 2.8 0.2 1.4 1.8 6.96
3   John McGinnAston Villa, 24, M(C) 39(1) 3464 6 9 2.4 1.7 1.8 2.7 - 2 1.7 7.26

that is the stats for most fouls a game. 4.8 fouls Jack is getting a game. That is 1.5 fouls a game more than the leader from the top 5 leagues in Europe Ruben Alcarez who gets fouled 3.3 times a game

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7379/Stages/16389/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2018-2019

Whilst he’s been absolutely brilliant this season, I think his temper stops him being a great captain. He has a lot of credentials for the role but he kicks off too much. I love the passion that he shows but when things are kicking off he’s always one of the first to get stuck in pushing and grabbing/winding players up. It’s ideal as a mental tactic, but the captain should be the one calming everyone down and walking them away. Let the other teams get their players sent off. I know giving him him the armband is one of the things teams do to help keep players that other teams want, so I understand Dean’s thinking.

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Whilst he’s been absolutely brilliant this season, I think his temper stops him being a great captain. He has a lot of credentials for the role but he kicks off too much. I love the passion that he shows but when things are kicking off he’s always one of the first to get stuck in pushing and grabbing/winding players up. It’s ideal as a mental tactic, but the captain should be the one calming everyone down and walking them away. Let the other teams get their players sent off. I know giving him him the armband is one of the things teams do to help keep players that other teams want, so I understand Dean’s thinking.

He got punched in the head and laughed it off so I think he will be just fine.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

He got punched in the head and laughed it off so I think he will be just fine.

I think he was more shocked with that one, he didn’t know what to do. Try and find another example of him not kicking off when things like that happen. Look, he’s the best player we’ve had in God knows how long, I think his work rate and attitude to the game are brilliant, I love the kid. I’m not having a pop at him, but I’m not wrong in pointing out that he hardly calms these situation down.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

That's a foul all day. I remember being livid he was booked there.

yep, you have re-ignited my rage about that one. Such a lovely series of passes and was cut down in the end. You can even see the defenders leg swing back from the impact ffs

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

yep, you have re-ignited my rage about that one. Such a lovely series of passes and was cut down in the end. You can even see the defenders leg swing back from the impact ffs

The player stumbles from the contact, a really obvious foul. The standard of refereeing in this league is horrendous.

20 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I think he was more shocked with that one, he didn’t know what to do. Try and find another example of him not kicking off when things like that happen. Look, he’s the best player we’ve had in God knows how long, I think his work rate and attitude to the game are brilliant, I love the kid. I’m not having a pop at him, but I’m not wrong in pointing out that he hardly calms these situation down.

Like Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira , Eric Cantona? Hes not captain simply because we want to keep hold of him he gets Villa, the fans expectations , he’s vocal and for the past season and a half has looked a leader.

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Like Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira , Eric Cantona? Hes not captain simply because we want to keep hold of him he gets Villa, the fans expectations , he’s vocal and for the past season and a half has looked a leader.

With what those players got away with back then, do you not think they’d spend half their time banned in today’s football? The game has changed and what with all the retrospective action that the powers that be have now, I’d rather our captain be the guy with a level head.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't dive, that's the problem.

He DOES play for fouls, and makes the most of them when they come. Which means some of his falls are a bit over the top. But they're usually as a result of a genuine foul.

I can't think of any times where he has completely dived to gain a free kick when there was literally no foul. There probably are some examples, but none jump to my mind.

Ok fair enough, the internet doesn’t appear to be awash with little compilation clips where Grealish has made sure he wins the free kick.

And considering that seems to be the main gripe people have with him (and not his hair), I would have thought there would be more evidential videos posted by the people who dislike him and want to prove his fault. 

• Like 1

I think Jack Grealish is a fabulous player, but equally I am trying to be objective.

His critics will say he is too theatrical and when we talk about " winning free kicks " He needs to be aware ,that, that does not become his main objective....He is much better than that.....it should be a last resort, not a first option( not saying it is, but he needs to be careful) outside B6,  there are many alternative views on him and they are not ALL pure spite, which some clearly are.

I think he can be more influential than he is ( and is already influential) ,and his better games, he is sublime....his below par games he has a tendency to dwell on the ball and invite challenges to a degree.....There are clear cases,where he is fouled and others where he has encouraged it by not moving the ball quick enough....Jack does need protection, but not at the expense of a free ride....His best protector is himself....In my opinion he can be more elusive to do this.

I think its difficult to be objective on a player we all love....but a few home truths are needed sometimes....I hope I haven't been too harsh, just want him to be an even better player, we all know he can be.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

The games changed for the better.

Who wants to watch their best player get their leg snapped in two. The game has changed to try and protect players against that. 

FYI I think sometimes the best way to show he is getting hacked down is to say nothing and just re-adjust his socks etc and laugh it off 

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are clear cases,where he is fouled and others where he has encouraged it by not moving the ball quick enough....Jack does need protection, but not at the expense of a free ride....His best protector is himself....In my opinion he can be more elusive to do this.

For me as long as he doesn't lose the ball , when he hangs on to it , then that's fine it's one his best attributes and makes the oppositon either foul him in frustration or over commit players which then should  allow our other players to find space .

We have to be careful and not try and  justify the type of tackles that Jack has to put up with. If teams can't cope with Jack it's no excuse for them to kick him in the air then claim he's diving , it's plain wrong . 

34 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

The games changed for the better.

Who wants to watch their best player get their leg snapped in two. The game has changed to try and protect players against that. 

FYI I think sometimes the best way to show he is getting hacked down is to say nothing and just re-adjust his socks etc and laugh it off 

I wish Brazilian Ronaldo played in this era. He likely wouldn't have suffered those knee injuries and would be rivaling Messi and Ronaldo for GOAT.

• Like 1

Get in to the office this morning and two of my coworkers (Fulham & Spuds supporters) beelined to my desk to talk about the Leeds match.  100% in agreement that Leeds were scummy unsportsmanlike idiots, but both of them couldn't wait to put in a comment about how much they hate Grealish.  Why?  Because he "goes down way too easy" whenever there is a "slight breeze" and "complains nonstop to the referee" about every foul on him.  I'm like "WTF???"  I say that he is one of the most fouled players in all of football, not just England.  They didn't believe me so I pulled up the WhoScored stats and they were blown away by how he draws almost 5 fouls/game on average, but then immediately dismissed it as "yeah, but he dives a lot so those stats are skewed a bit."  Wait what???  He hasn't gotten a single card for diving this season, you'd think that if he was diving like Neymar, he would have gotten at least one yellow for it?  

3 hours ago, 7392craig said:

John terry and Ste Gerard were always at the forefront when it was kicking off.. didn’t do them any harm as captains

52 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wish Brazilian Ronaldo played in this era. He likely wouldn't have suffered those knee injuries and would be rivaling Messi and Ronaldo for GOAT.

Fat Ronaldo will always be my favourite Ronaldo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â