The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Well, I mean...  We are talking about fans who were raised on this thuggary...  I guess compared to some of this filth, it's a good tackle indeed.

One of the commentators was claiming it was a fair tackle, 'because he got the ball first' 🙄

Edited by Villan_of_oz

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Absolute pet peeve of mine. Completely destroy the man, but grazed the ball in the process = good tackle? Like how?

The worst thing about the tackle on Grealish today was that Grealish was a bit away from the ball, on the other side of the ball to their player, he sort of goes over the ball to get to Grealish. If he was really playing the ball and not the man then at the speed he flew in the ball would have gone in to the stands. Instead he sort of flies over it and goes in with both feet. Red card all **** day long.

• Like 1

Jack actually relishes being tracked and drawing fouls is part of his approach. He is very hard to dispossess without fouling and this frustrates defenders immensely. 

I thought yesterday he drew a foul out of Jansson by falling into him but the rest of them were pretty clear fouls every day of the week. 

I can understand he gets frustrated at being targeted, but I do wish he'd keep his imaginary cards in his pocket. Let the ref make those judgements and just get on with it. 

• Thanks 1

If I was an opposing manager I'd have taken notes yesterday on how to deal with Villa. Target Grealish and be OTT aggressive. Play a high tempo game. Don't give us room and time with the ball. I'm not happy about yesterday.

32 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

If I was an opposing manager I'd have taken notes yesterday on how to deal with Villa. Target Grealish and be OTT aggressive. Play a high tempo game. Don't give us room and time with the ball. I'm not happy about yesterday.

Which would have resulted in at least one red card and a penalty if the officials weren't so pathetic. I don't think its a strategy that works or should work in a fair game. Many teams have tried to boot Grealish out of a game or stay tight on him. It doesnt work very often.

52 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

.....And they still couldn't beat us. UTFV. 

Strange that if you search for “Jack Grealish dive” there don’t appear to be many YouTube compilations of him rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured.

You’d think with the wealth of material out there, one of his detractors would have felt the need to showcase his cheating ways.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Strange that if you search for “Jack Grealish dive” there don’t appear to be many YouTube compilations of him rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured.

You’d think with the wealth of material out there, one of his detractors would have felt the need to showcase his cheating ways.

I agree mostly, but there is a few clips of him going to ground a bit easy twice yesterday, there's contact, but it's quite minimal. 

It's the kind of thing that irks you as an opposition supporter, but you get behind on the technicality of "everyone else does it". 

Don't get me wrong, he's had his fair share of big hits this season, but he can go to ground softly sometimes, which is good for Villa, so I'm fine with it :lol:  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

Paul Robinson somebody you would assume was cheering for Leeds said he was lucky to escape a red card

Yeah I was going to say the same. Fair play to him, he was categorically saying it was a bad challenge and probably should have been a red.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't dive, that's the problem.

He DOES play for fouls, and makes the most of them when they come. Which means some of his falls are a bit over the top. But they're usually as a result of a genuine foul.

I can't think of any times where he has completely dived to gain a free kick when there was literally no foul. There probably are some examples, but none jump to my mind.

He got booked for diving against Burton last year at home to try and win a penalty.

I personally thought it was a foul, but just one that springs to mind.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't dive, that's the problem.

He DOES play for fouls, and makes the most of them when they come. Which means some of his falls are a bit over the top. But they're usually as a result of a genuine foul.

I can't think of any times where he has completely dived to gain a free kick when there was literally no foul. There probably are some examples, but none jump to my mind.

Completely agree, the 2 incidents Leeds fans are highlighting. One he gets his body between the man and ball and draws the foul. Its intelligent play especially as he is off balance. He gets a shove in the back, its a foul but he did pretty much make it happen.

The other one is a tricky one, does he go down too easily? possibly. It looks like his shirt is pulled, depending on his balance and what he was about to do at the time it could quite easily pull him back as much as it looks or he could have felt it and made the most of it.

With the irony of what he did, Leeds fans also saying Mings had hold of Bamford all day and you didn't see him go down. This is true every game for the Striker/Centre back of both teams and is completely different to most contact with Grealish when he gets free kicks.

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He got booked for diving against Burton last year at home to try and win a penalty.

I personally thought it was a foul, but just one that springs to mind.

Well exactly.

I don't remember that one, but if you thought it was a foul it's probably one of the incidents I'm talking about where he plays for the foul and then makes sure he gets it.

It's a bit of a grey area. I'm not sure whether that kind of thing should be frowned upon or not.

But it's not the same as completely diving all the time, which I don't think he does.

was thinking about it Saturday when talking to someone about him, how many penalties has he actually won?

his ability to buy a free kick when we are under pressure or there is nothing on, no matter how soft it is, is mad, however when he's in the opponents box with a shot on or a pass, how often he try and beat a man and fall over like some of the notorious divers we all know?

simple answer is he doesn't, that's not how he plays

middle of the pitch no pass on going nowhere he will turn shield the ball and the opponent will mindlessly smash in to his back with no chance of winning the ball and he will fall over resulting in a foul, its clever play, opposition fans will point the finger at him rather than citing a lack of ability or brain by their own player

I actually think he would be really well suited to play European / international football where all this won the ball mans game guff doesn't exist

• Like 1

Â