The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

He is bar far the most fouled player in the league, even missing such a chunk of the season. He gets plenty of fouls, i'm not sure what more refs could do. 

I believe many of the fouls on him should have been yellow cards and many times it's not been given.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I believe many of the fouls on him should have been yellow cards and many times it's not been given.

I disagree. Most of his fouls are him being too quick with his feet or being clever and winning the foul. Can't remember many games where he seemed to have lots of horrendous tackles on him. The main one was when Bruce decided that was the best way to stop him. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He is bar far the most fouled player in the league, even missing such a chunk of the season. He gets plenty of fouls, i'm not sure what more refs could do. 

Teams always stick a few on him before the yellow comes out.

Watch Kieftenbeld welly him up in the air first 3 mins next week, just like he did at VP. 

We need to be more street wise and get in refs ear for every foul on him. It's every time.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He gets the fouls but there’s rarely a booking for the player who committed the foul. I think that’s the deterrent he means when he says they’ll do nothing.

edit: You’ve already addressed it.

Edited by 7392craig

Though his performance didn't show it, there were a couple of occasions yesterday when I worried he wasn't over his injury. There were 2/3 occasions when he seemed to be holding onto his calfs and stretching as he got up (from another foul).

I can understand why supporters of other teams think he is overrated (not that I agree), a casual observer might look at goals/assist stats etc and underestimate his influence. Yesterday was the perfect example of what he brings, it's not just what he does, it's the space he creates for others, the willingness of others to make a run when they see Jack on the ball instead of player X because they know he has the quality to see it. The effect on the fans and the buzz he brings to VP, opposition fans might see a skillfull kid that has a silly hair cut and dives around a lot, anybody that goes to VP regularly sees him as the glue that holds the place together. 

So, now that the dust has settled, the important question has to be asked...

...was that better than McGinn's goal?

For me McGinn's is still better, but I'm not sure there's much to choose between them!

Our goal of the season competition will be good this year anyway!

Assume there has been no statement from the club or Grealish reporting on how his injury reacted to playing a game. 

Was petrified there might be a statement saying he had a relapse or something.  No news is good news I assume. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Assume there has been no statement from the club or Grealish reporting on how his injury reacted to playing a game. 

Was petrified there might be a statement saying he had a relapse or something.  No news is good news I assume. 

He'll be alright. He was just knackered after 60 mins or so. Him stretching his calves shows he's coming back to full fitness. 

19 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

We have it at Villa; Grealish's goal is outstanding but isn't a patch on McGinn's (it was closer, a training ground routine, a 'simpler' strike) but because he's 'one of our own' it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the goal of the season award. Football is nearly as much about popularity these days as it is talent.

i agree, salah winning the puskas last year for example

will be really close though, both goals were absolute stunners, mcginns is harder IMO to be fair to him the ball from whelan is 100% spot on for the volley, perfect height and pace, we have 2 genuine contenders for EFL goal of the season

also depends on what happens this season, mcginns goal in a 2-1 defeat probably wont be remembered as fondly as jacks goal in a 4-0 dicking of derby that started the run to our glorious promotion 😜 that derby game will probably be our best performance this season

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

will be really close though, both goals were absolute stunners, mcginns is harder IMO to be fair to him the ball from whelan is 100% spot on for the volley, perfect height and pace, we have 2 genuine contenders for EFL goal of the season

Hutton's is in the conversation as well I reckon.

For different reasons, I don't think it's anywhere close to as good as Grealish's or McGinn's but goals like that often do well because of the scenario.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So, now that the dust has settled, the important question has to be asked...

...was that better than McGinn's goal?

For me McGinn's is still better, but I'm not sure there's much to choose between them!

Our goal of the season competition will be good this year anyway!

Still McGinns for me as well. Unbelievable technique and always looks better when comes off the bar too. 

• Like 1

Purely on the goal itself, removing all context...McGinn’s is the better goal. It’s quite possibly one of the best volleys I’ve ever seen. It has everything. 

However, within context and because we lost that game, I can’t enjoy it quite as much.

Again out of context, Grealish’s goal is better than Hutton’s. With context, Jack returning from injury, captaining his boyhood side, complete performances all over the pitch...it’s a strong contender. However with Hutton, the extra narrative of it being the final goal in a derby day win from a player who no one would expect to do that...those elements come into play for me. 

Put it like this, if I saw the goals in isolation with no knowledge of the games surrounding them...McGinn’s goal would win. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Hutton's is in the conversation as well I reckon.

For different reasons, I don't think it's anywhere close to as good as Grealish's or McGinn's but goals like that often do well because of the scenario.

Although Huttons goal was special given the opposition his surge forward was barely challenged.  Still McGinn for me although both were very special. Great corner too from the much  maligned (unfairly imo) Gen Whelan!

20 minutes ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

Although Huttons goal was special given the opposition his surge forward was barely challenged.  

Agree 100%

but as @Shropshire Lad highlights eloquently above, context matters a lot for goals, especially when we're talking about OUR goal of the season (as opposed to, say, the EFL goal of the season or Sky's goal of the season)

I agree McGinn's goal was the best of the lot. But wouldn't surprise me one bit if one of the other ones won because of that context

• Like 1

McGinn for me, dropping ball, he took the volley really high, he swerved it and it went in off the bar. Truly unstoppable and an amazing strike. 

Most enjoyable for me was Hutton because of the moment, it being against them and it being so ridiculous. 

Jack is a wonder goal and capped off an amazing comeback. We haven't had one of mazy run goals in a long time, be nice to do that on Sunday. 

• Like 1

McGinn's goal is honestly one of the best I've ever seen. The way he was winding up for that shot, the swerve on the ball coming back in from outside the post, the way it went in literally right in the top corner and off the bar. Just perfect. I'd be surprised if it doesn't win the Puskas award barring another ridiculous goal down the line.

If we're basing these on context, its Huttinho for me all day long. Don't think I've gone that mental in a game since Zat Knight scored an equaliser against Arsenal in injury time - (back when we were good).

If we're basing it on technique, it's McGinn.

If we're basing it on my man-crush, it's Jacks. All...day... long.

Â