The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Quite literally his only assist is from taking a corner.....

What's your point here?  Does that cancel out the at least 5 assists/goals from the others?

I can see with my eyes that McGinn and Grealish are way, way, way better players than Hourihane.  That Hourihane takes a pretty free kick doesn't change this - likewise that he has fewer cards from playing fewer minutes (odd inclusion).

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the bit i dont get

if we were leicester or spurs fans being linked with him for £30m then i could understand us not watching much of him and lazily checking those stats but we watch him every week why are we still judging him based on stats?? i watch him do things every week that no other player in our squad can do, usually its stuff that he makes look real simple like a perfectly weighted ball down the line for adomah, if admoah then crosses and abraham scores and we win the game do i judge jack negatively due to having 0 assists and 0 goals

because not necessarily involving adomah and abraham but that scenario has happened at least 3 times this season already off the top of my head

I’m not judging him on stats. I moved away last year and so I mainly only see TV games now, but throughout his career he hasn’t scored many goals for an attacking midfielder. I absolutely think that he’s our most talented player and believe he will come good. I think the previous coaching staff haven’t helped his, or any other player’s, development at all and as I’ve said I believe the new guys will bring the best out in him. He absolutely has bundles of talent, but throughout his career the criticism has been that he doesn’t fulfill his potential and doesn’t make his skills effective enough on a regular basis. 

We all still remember his game at Wembley against Liverpool and that was perhaps the best performance of his career. It was certainly the one when the rest of the football world sat up and took note. But that was over 3 years ago and we now play in a lower division and so it has to be a worry that he hasn’t significantly moved on. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for those who havent seen the goal or only saw it during the game

its subtle and doesnt look like much but watch it again, if hourihane is on the pitch rather than jack that goal doesn't happen, no stat for it but he's played a key part, elmo actually stops moving and then takes a shit touch taking him the wrong way but he'll get a stat which makes everyone happy

This does a huge disservice to Elmo, who calls for the pass from Grealish and takes a touch to allow room to hit a cross immediately.  It's great play from him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not judging him on stats. I moved away last year and so I mainly only see TV games now, but throughout his career he hasn’t scored many goals for an attacking midfielder. I absolutely think that he’s our most talented player and believe he will come good. I think the previous coaching staff haven’t helped his, or any other player’s, development at all and as I’ve said I believe the new guys will bring the best out in him. He absolutely has bundles of talent, but throughout his career the criticism has been that he doesn’t fulfill his potential and doesn’t make his skills effective enough on a regular basis. 

We all still remember his game at Wembley against Liverpool and that was perhaps the best performance of his career. It was certainly the one when the rest of the football world sat up and took note. But that was over 3 years ago and we now play in a lower division and so it has to be a worry that he hasn’t significantly moved on. 

Why are people obsessed over him scoring goals?  Bizarre.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the bit i dont get

if we were leicester or spurs fans being linked with him for £30m then i could understand us not watching much of him and lazily checking those stats but we watch him every week why are we still judging him based on stats?? i watch him do things every week that no other player in our squad can do, usually its stuff that he makes look real simple like a perfectly weighted ball down the line for adomah, if admoah then crosses and abraham scores and we win the game do i judge jack negatively due to having 0 assists and 0 goals

because not necessarily involving adomah and abraham but that scenario has happened at least 3 times this season already off the top of my head

Yes.

Like the oil in an engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

What's your point here?  Does that cancel out the at least 5 assists/goals from the others?

I can see with my eyes that McGinn and Grealish are way, way, way better players than Hourihane.  That Hourihane takes a pretty free kick doesn't change this - likewise that he has fewer cards from playing fewer minutes (odd inclusion).

My point is you said that Grealish doesn't take any set pieces so can't get assists from those. His only assist this year in pretty much 13 full 90 minute appearances is from taking a corner...

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

One example, somewhere in the middle of the first half he made a sublime pass with the outside of his right foot that slicked the left side line and set Adomah free, which then led to a clear cut scoring opportunity for us. There are often no stats for that, but it's such passes only he can make. The opponents know that so it means they double or tripple up on him (no stats for that either), which opens up space for the other players. Even if he doesn't score or assist, he is so valuable for the team. Playing in a mid three he will take more part in the build up play which I think suits him best. It will also mean he will get less chances to score, but will on the whole will be more valuable to the team.  

The mid three unit of Grealish, BB and McGinn put in, at least for 45-60 mins, the best combined midfield performance I've seen in a long while. Grealish played a direct part in our goal, and I don't know in how many of our chances he played a part in the build up. Moreover he put in a real shift working hard defensively as well together with BB and McGinn, which meant not only that we kept a clean sheet but also that our front three could play higher up the pitch.

To criticize him or be disappointed after that performance is not fair imo. He played a big part in one of our best performances (at least for the 45-60 mins) in a long while. We took a first win under Smith in front of a full Villa park, it's happy times and he, one of our own, played a big part in that. UTV!

I believe there is a stat for that kind of pass, isn’t it the key pass stat? If I’m correct, last season Grealish was one of the highest in the league let alone just in our squad. Either way, it doesn’t take away the fact that he is our most talented player. But I do agree that McGinn has been our most effective player this year, this is mostly because Bruce has shoehorned Grealish onto the left so we could have McGinn and Hourihane in the same team. I wholeheartedly argue against Hourihane’s general effectiveness in the team. He has a goal in him, which is a great attribute to have, but for the other 89 minutes the game largely passes him by most weeks. But of course, a goal changes a game so it’s whichever way you want to look at it. McGinn appears to be great at both ends of the field  so he has to play, but if we can only play one of the other two with him, I know which player my money is on to run the show too.

16 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He had a fine game yesterday, don’t really understand some of the comments

This. I thought he and McGinn were the difference for us today. Made things happen every time he got the ball and I am certain he will flourish under Deano. 

He absolutley should have scored. Yes he is pants at finishing but tbf if he could finish he’d have left us several seasons ago. 

Thought he played really well yesterday. Needs to start sticking it in the net though if he wants to play at a higher level.  I find it utterly bemusing how composed Grealish is with his whole game other than when in front of goal. 

• Like 2

Â