The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 hours ago, hippo said:

When Grealish came back into the side last season - he seemed to play a lot more direct and was much better for it. This season he seems to have gone back to beating a man, stopping, beats the player again - then passes the ball back to where he was when he collected it. Needs to go back to direct play and inflicting damage on the opposition.

I also think for a top notch playmaker he needs to drastically improve in front of goal

Well summed up...completely agree.  People saying that he plays 'out of position'.  This has no relevance whatsoever! Playing out of position is NOT a reason for keep falling over, being slow and trying to beat the same player over and over again until you're either fouled or dispossessed!

Jack as wonderful skills and needs to be coached in the correct way!  I really hope that Smith can be that coach!  If he can, then we will have a very special player at the club!

3 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Well summed up...completely agree.  People saying that he plays 'out of position'.  This has no relevance whatsoever! Playing out of position is NOT a reason for keep falling over, being slow and trying to beat the same player over and over again until you're either fouled or dispossessed!

Jack as wonderful skills and needs to be coached in the correct way!  I really hope that Smith can be that coach!  If he can, then we will have a very special player at the club!

I think it does have relevance in some players and less in others.....I take your further point though, playing out of position, doesn't stop you going to ground or heading the ball and such like.

some players i.e utility players like Paul Madeley of Leeds ( going back a bit) or Henderson of Liverpool, play in multi positions and cope well.....MON was always doing it.He believed it help them understand the game.....like in normal business, learning what each dep't does.

personally, I am generally in favour of a player playing in his normal position, but i don't think it has as much adverse as we sometimes think.

20 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

But Jack doesn’t really do any of those things? 

He falls over, yes, but only after being kicked across the shins by primitive players with no other means of stopping him. 

I’ve never seen him try to needlessly beat the same man twice, but he does sometimes try to beat too many when cutting inside from the wing. More often than not, this has been the result of a lack of movement around him, and our general build up play being too slow which allows the other guys to park the bus. Jack is never deliberatly slow, but our style of play has sometimes slowed him down. Through the middle, when the game is stretched and he can run from deep positions, Jack is as quick with ball in feet as anyone. 

And either way, of course being played out of position is relevant. Players make better decisions and get more out of their abilities playing in their natural, best positions. I’d say that was rather obvious, acutally. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

And either way, of course being played out of position is relevant. Players make better decisions and get more out of their abilities playing in their natural, best positions. I’d say that was rather obvious, acutally. 

It is.

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Not arguing, but i’d say McGinn has had a more than decent start to the season. Especially when you take into account his age and the move south.  

Back on Grealish, I don’t think he’s been as bad this season as some have made out.  He’s just not hit the heights of last season yet! 

I honestly don't think McGinn has been that effective (the one worldie aside.) He hustles and bustles a lot but his touch at times is shocking and I think the fact that he seems so busy is a direct result of poor positioning. 

Happy to be proved wrong and to see him come good but he hasn't shown me enough to warrant being an automatic starter.

If we are playing a 3 in the middle (as Bruce had been doing) I would say Thor & Hourihane with Jack in front, not on the flippin' wing.

I read a table earlier somewhere saying that Jack has created 25 chances this season so far. So whilst most agree he isn’t hitting the heights of last season he is still performing. It’s just that we expect someone so talented to do more, hopefully he will now under an attacking manager. 

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I read a table earlier somewhere saying that Jack has created 25 chances this season so far. So whilst most agree he isn’t hitting the heights of last season he is still performing. It’s just that we expect someone so talented to do more, hopefully he will now under an attacking manager. 

He's 3rd in the league in chances created (averaging 2.1/game).  25 in 12 games.  Hourihane is joint assists leader (4 Total) with McGinn & Elmo in the pack right behind him (3 Total each).  As shit as the team has been playing "Bruce Ball", we've still been creating chances in the midfield.

Didn't he say in an interview before that his prefered position was to the left in a mid three? I think Deano has got it spot on there. He gets more involved in the build up play, where we need his wonderful passing ability. With him and McGinn on either side of the central mf, it gives them space and freedom. It was some good play between them. It does however put quite much responsability on them to work defensively as well, but still suits us very well.

Thought he was excellent!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You are a good player Jack. But until you learn to finish attacking moves and find your shooting boots, you'll never be great. In fact I'd be surprised if you ended up in the PL. 

A PL team bid £25m for him literally two months ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

And unless he becomesmore clinical, that won't happen again. 

Fair enough, I don’t think he’s declined enough in quality that he’s gone from a player who a Champions League team bid £25m for to a player who a team like Burnley wouldn’t take a punt on, but each to their own!

People saying he was 'excellent' are wide of the mark. He was decent, as said above, dictated a lot of our play, but again an example of him not doing quite enough, not delivering what we know he can. His final ball was far too often just way of and boy is his finishing poor. It's crucial we coach better end product into him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I give it 10 games before he's putting them in left right and centre. 

If he gets in those positions as often as he was today it's just a matter of time until his composure when in front of goal hits into gear.

He is composed when passing and clearly has good technique so it's not like he's not capable of finishing, seems more mental to me like he thinks of himself as a 'creator' and not the finisher.

Forget all the talk of Premier League standards etc, he's simply not good enough for our starting XI at the moment. Comparing him to McGinn is embarrassing as it stands; where's the end product, where's the driving the team forward, where's the hassling and grafting, where's the worldy goals? All coming from McGinn. Hourihane offers more at the moment. We need a manager who has the balls to drop him.

Today he was our weakest player. I don't care if it's a case of his ability/potential - this season he is barely a good Championship midfielder and we have better options. Maybe a rest would do him good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Forget all the talk of Premier League standards etc, he's simply not good enough for our starting XI at the moment. Comparing him to McGinn is embarrassing as it stands; where's the end product, where's the driving the team forward, where's the hassling and grafting, where's the worldy goals? All coming from McGinn. Hourihane offers more at the moment. We need a manager who has the balls to drop him.

Today he was our weakest player. I don't care if it's a case of his ability/potential - this season he is barely a good Championship midfielder and we have better options. Maybe a rest would do him good.

Pfft. Grealish was good to day. McGinn scored one worldy and that's it. Hyperbole everywhere. No way he shouldn't be in the team.

Â