The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

On 07/10/2018 at 09:18, praisedmambo said:

It's depressing how short people's memories are. A bit of perspective may reveal that he looked great when he came back from injury last season—critically at a time when the team was functioning and had some kind of balance.

Now the team is a mess and all the players are looking a bit pants. Yesterday was pretty much the nadir (hopefully) when you look that we had a defence of three right backs and Taylor and Nyland in goal.

It's unfortunate that last year's foundations were built on sand

Nothing to do with 'balance'.......other than falling over for NO apparent reason (alot of the time)!  So slow and ponderous on the ball....if you watch him often you will see the other players getting frustrated with him.....others making good movement into dangerous areas whilst Jack decides to take on 'yet another' player and either gets dispossessed or falls over (again)!.....he needs to be educated in the art of 'pass and move'......I'm sure Smith will be doing that!  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 10:19, villa4europe said:

ozil-lite

i dont think he is either, just looks it due to his style, i've noticed him increasingly throwing himself in to blocking shots (our flair player, attacking midfielder, desperately lunging in to block shots on the edge of our box, cheers steve..) he also has the best off the ball movement in the club (which isnt hard) constantly on the move finding space

He did actually remind me of Ozil a while back...as in he'd be a luxury who would only shine in a team that dominates the ball. But yeah...his tenacious performances last season disspelled that for me. No doubt though that he's been a big disappointment this season. Has to deliver now, and I believe he will.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is frankly mostly bollocks. This 'good movement into dangerous areas' you speak of was virtually none existent. That was our entire problem, in a nutshell. 

Then he was farmed out on the wing and shock horror, he isn't a winger. It's almost like we have been there before and not learned our lesson. 

Absolutely no need for the abuse. I am simply stating my opinion.  Moreover, all those in close proximity to me in the Trinity Road stand share this opinion!

I repeat, no need to be offensive with you're remarks!. I won't retaliate as you're also entitled to you're opinion!  I would also like to know how you feel being 'farmed out on the wing' has any relevance to my post?

2 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Absolutely no need for the abuse. I am simply stating my opinion.  Moreover, all those in close proximity to me in the Trinity Road stand share this opinion!

I repeat, no need to be offensive with you're remarks!. I won't retaliate as you're also entitled to you're opinion!  I would also like to know how you feel being 'farmed out on the wing' has any relevance to my post?

I don't see any abuse here apart from the fact he is disagreeing with your post. 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 13:46, westholmevillan said:

Nothing to do with 'balance'.......other than falling over for NO apparent reason (alot of the time)!  So slow and ponderous on the ball....if you watch him often you will see the other players getting frustrated with him.....others making good movement into dangerous areas whilst Jack decides to take on 'yet another' player and either gets dispossessed or falls over (again)!.....he needs to be educated in the art of 'pass and move'......I'm sure Smith will be doing that!  

Granted he has seemed slow on the ball this season, but it's happened because in most games so far he has had next to no movement around him. Trying to pick out passes to team-mates who are stationary makes it a harder job and he then ends up holding onto the ball for too long. Last season he had the movement of Snodgrass and Adomah on each wing and so when he drove forward he could slip balls through to them.

Jack will benefit from having wingers out wide in El Ghazi, Bolasie and Adomah who are always looking to receive the ball in space. He will also benefit from a player like Hogan who is always on the move.

He's also been played out wide this season, along with having to drop deeper in games to pick up the ball. This doesn't fit his game, he's a player that needs to be given the ball in the centre of the pitch so that he can drive forward and pick out passes to players around him.

As far as passing and moving goes I would say Grealish is the best player we have at this. He just needs a team built around him to bring the best out of him, instead of being shoehorned into positions to ensure he is in the first eleven.

• Like 1

Listened to a podacst yesterday from Monday previewing the Wales Ireland game last night and naturally the dreariness of playing for Ireland was discussed and that there is no shining light or hope to cling to. Grealish gets a mention as Richie Sadlier (apparently was very nearly signed by Graham Taylor second time around) said he was at the Millwall game and that he was brilliant and that he was pissed off at the fact that Ireland let him slip through their fingers. 

I've said it before that I think the potential is there and I hope we feel the benefit of it being realised.

• Like 1

Don't really know what's going on the last few weeks with stick he's getting.

Serious player who will spend his career in the top flight with us or without us.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

First of all, what abuse are you referring to? Secondly, the people who sit around you in the lower trinity are talking bollocks too then. In my opinion. Other opinions are available. 

He isn't a winger, he doesn't look comfortable there. Exhibit A - he had a torrid evening against Bristol. The one time he came inside he beat two players and pinged a lovely ball out to Kodjia, who proceeded to mis-control it. After we pulled one back against Sheffield Wednesday he came central and ran the show for 10 minutes, until being pushed back out wide again. He can't play the position, he needs space to drop into, turn his man and options all around him to thrive. He needs to see the entire pitch in front of him. That's just who he is, we should accept that and utilise it rather than trying to change him into something he isn't.

Those judging him on a hard few games playing out of position over a ton of evidence that he has matured as a player, as a man and is ready to excel as a footballer are, as previously stated, living in an alternative reality. 

6 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't really know what's going on the last few weeks with stick he's getting.

Serious player who will spend his career in the top flight with us or without us.

We'll see.

Now Bruce is out of the picture, he needs to start putting in some decent performances again. That excuse is gone.

He's definitely got some talent, he's absolutely brilliant running with the ball at his feet, but he's 23, and it's about time he put that ability to use for more than a handful of games. We can't keep talking about potential for a 23 year old bloke who's been around the first team for 5 years. He needs to start delivering.

He has to be effective to fulfill his potential.

we all love the aesthetically appealing play of Jack.....but it has no end product.

It can be deemed he has been playing in a team that is not set up to capitalise from his talents.

It will remain to be seen, whether Dean can get the final bit from him.....but players like Harvey Barnes, Mason Mount and James Maddison are eclipsing him, at present.

This season his form is in stark contrast to his play in the latter part of last season...he needs to resurrect his form.....I hope Dean can help him do this.

the fact that he ducked a crucial penalty decision in the last game, is not indicative of a mature and confident approach.

here's hoping it gets better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Bruce didn't help him by playing him out if position, however there is no doubt grealish has been shite this year. 

He has problems with consistency and I still don't think he is worth the 40m people were harping on. Hopefully smith can get the best out of him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We'll see.

Now Bruce is out of the picture, he needs to start putting in some decent performances again. That excuse is gone.

He's definitely got some talent, he's absolutely brilliant running with the ball at his feet, but he's 23, and it's about time he put that ability to use for more than a handful of games. We can't keep talking about potential for a 23 year old bloke who's been around the first team for 5 years. He needs to start delivering.

He didn't mention potential. He said he's a serious player now. I agree. 

This will be his first full season starting games, injury permitting. 

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's every doubt that Grealish has been shite this year!

He's been our best player this season - this season - he's been the central figure in just about every game we've played - he's moved the ball around, he's moved defences around, he's drawn more fouls than any other player in the division, he's looked a danger on the ball, he's been bright, inventive and he's worked hard - his ability to transition us from back to front, the weight of his passing, his dribbling ability are unmatched in this division. Has he been at the level he was at in February and March? Not quite - but in February and March he was the best player in the league by a country mile. Does that mean he's shite? Not by a long chalk, I think you can argue that he's still the best player in the division - right now, on his form today. 

We're talking about a player dropping from a "10" to a "9" and we're reacting like he's a "4" - it must be difficult at times to play here.

Sorry but that's the grealish of last year not this year. He has been no where near as good as last year. I don't blame him entirely as bruce didn't help by playing him on the left.

But he has been average to poor. Not creating enough running into brick walls alot. Hopefully smith and JT can get him back to his best.

Â