The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

I remember seeing an analysis of Eden Hazard about 18 months ago.  They were showing how well he'd played for the first 70 minutes - skilful, visionary, insightful.  Then he scored a wonder goal to put Chelsea in front and his performance went backwards.

It wasn't that he started playing poorly, or that he was showboating as such, but he wanted too much time on the ball, every time.  He wasn't losing it, but without the urgency to his play, the opposition were able to get behind the ball and all momentum was lost.

The analyst was saying that it was costing Chelsea - and they conceded an equaliser at the death - because it was almost as if he knew he was so much better than everyone else and just wanted to admire his work.

And that's where I've been at with Grealish for quite a while now.  He plays like Hazard used to play.  It looks good, but it's ineffective.  He's like a boxer landing jabs as and when he pleases but never landing a knockout blow.

The new head coach will gain a lot by getting a killer instinct into Grealish before he becomes a luxury player rather than a matchwinner.

Good analogy. He would be doing himself a favour by watching James Maddison play.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I remember seeing an analysis of Eden Hazard about 18 months ago.  They were showing how well he'd played for the first 70 minutes - skilful, visionary, insightful.  Then he scored a wonder goal to put Chelsea in front and his performance went backwards.

It wasn't that he started playing poorly, or that he was showboating as such, but he wanted too much time on the ball, every time.  He wasn't losing it, but without the urgency to his play, the opposition were able to get behind the ball and all momentum was lost.

The analyst was saying that it was costing Chelsea - and they conceded an equaliser at the death - because it was almost as if he knew he was so much better than everyone else and just wanted to admire his work.

And that's where I've been at with Grealish for quite a while now.  He plays like Hazard used to play.  It looks good, but it's ineffective.  He's like a boxer landing jabs as and when he pleases but never landing a knockout blow.

The new head coach will gain a lot by getting a killer instinct into Grealish before he becomes a luxury player rather than a matchwinner.

This poor run of form has been with us for some time now, inc the back end of last season....its just got gradually worse.....there is a tough rugged element missing from this team, which affects the other elements and we become an easy touch.

loses and draws have now become an inevitability, that has landed us in relegation form.

we lost players in the summer that dug in, and were unable to replace them, it will cost us.....we need to rebuild at a rate that is more geared to composure than desperation.

We will not go up, while we are so desperate to go up.....i am also not sure that at this stage, big money signings are the answer....its the mentality and approach that needs working on.

Edited by TRO

He needs to be coached on his tactical ability and finding positions.

He played too deep to receive the ball at times. 

He does require support from other players so that he is not looking to receive the ball from deep.

Main problem is him finding space in the right positions.

He didn't have a bad game.

In his whole career he's never been managed by a coach with a modicum of tactical nous. The new man will give him the opportunity to develop in that regard.

That's not excusing him for his shit displays this season and the lethargy of his play. He's been very frustrating. But you'd fully expect him to kick on under a slightly more cultured approach to the game.

Edited by villanmac
  • Thanks 2

I worry we'll still be talking about his "potential" when he's 27.

A lot of the squad have been poor, and it's no coincidence, so I blame the old manager and coaches, not all of the players. But right now, even among a poorly performing squad, I don't think this bloke is justifying his place in the first 11 of a midtable championship team.

Premier League? Not even close to good enough based on 12 games this season.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

It's depressing how short people's memories are. A bit of perspective may reveal that he looked great when he came back from injury last season—critically at a time when the team was functioning and had some kind of balance.

Now the team is a mess and all the players are looking a bit pants. Yesterday was pretty much the nadir (hopefully) when you look that we had a defence of three right backs and Taylor and Nyland in goal.

It's unfortunate that last year's foundations were built on sand.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 3

‘Never been managed by a coach with a modicum of tactical nous ‘ in his formative years would he not have come across Gordon Cowans in the academy structure ? As it is generally accepted that Jack has matured greatly in the last 18 months is there a chance that the young Jack thought he had already ‘made it’ and did not have to pay a lot of attention to his coaches. If so has he not now created a situation where regardless of his potential he may have fallen behind lesser players who had a much better attitude in their formative years and therefore have overtaken him in terms of consistency and how they are able to influence matches positively for their team?

23 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Good analogy. He would be doing himself a favour by watching James Maddison play.

Maddison has been phenomenal this season.  There were a lot of Villa Talkers slating Leicester for paying as much as they did for him this summer, but he's proving to be a bargain.  I can see Leicester selling him to one of the Sky teams in a year or two for 50 Mil plus.  Maddison dominates games and pulls all the strings, something Grealish hasn't done a lot of in his career so far.  He wins a lot of fouls and makes some beautiful passes, but he isn't ruthless enough with his play.  Jacky boy needs a tactical manager to show him exactly how to dominate games at this level.

Personally I think McGinn was signed as a replacement for Grealish. Grealish didn't leave and Bruce tried to shoehorn them both in. I'd probably go with Bjarnason/Whelan/Jedi/Lansbury with McGinn and Hourihane.

Both McGinn and Hourihane are far more productive than Grealish.  McGinn and Hourihane both deliver more as an end product in terms of assists and goals than Grealish. 

I don't think Jack is as good as a lot of people think he is. Also Jack's biggest problem is he thinks he is better than he actually is. 

1 hour ago, smg said:

‘Never been managed by a coach with a modicum of tactical nous ‘ in his formative years would he not have come across Gordon Cowans in the academy structure ? As it is generally accepted that Jack has matured greatly in the last 18 months is there a chance that the young Jack thought he had already ‘made it’ and did not have to pay a lot of attention to his coaches. If so has he not now created a situation where regardless of his potential he may have fallen behind lesser players who had a much better attitude in their formative years and therefore have overtaken him in terms of consistency and how they are able to influence matches positively for their team?

This might be a problem so it might be a very good idea to bring in successful ex-professionals who are quite personable. Roy Keane for example was very successful as a player however people skills are not his biggeset strength - at least not in an competitive environment. That's been proven in his managerial career. There's an argument that Bruce is one however it is pretty obvious from the last year or two here that he lacks the tactical nous to be a successful manager/head coach (whatever model we are now pursuing) in the modern game. So if we can find a manager with the right mix of tactical nous and people skills then I think that Grealish will thrive. It's no surprise that he had his best spell with us last season when Terry was there. I very much doubt that Terry was telling Grealish that he has made it and that he doesn't need to push himself to improve.

In my opinion, Terry and Henry would be in theory a good combination. I don't think that Henry is as soft as he comes across and Terry's effect is now clear for all to see regarding influence on other players. They should in theory have a good grasp of the tactical side of the game (refer to Henry's analysis of Barca on Sky). I'm assuming Terry does due to his obvious on field organisation skills diusplayed throughout his career. 

There is a serious player in Jack somewhere. He glides past players as if they are not there, he has a lot of pace, his ball control is sublime. I think that he just needs a proper coaching set up to guide him, improve his decision making and a good tactical setup which creates space in which he can operate effectively. There is a school of thought that great players will make it anyway but look at De Bruyne for example. He was ineffective at Chelsea under Mourinho as he didn't fit the system, he left and went to Wolfsburg and then City signed him. Those move and finding a system which suited him and of course high quality coaching was what made him a great player and he was arguably the best player in the premier league last season. I'm not saying that Jack is that good. I'm just making the point that he could be a lot better than he is and I think that with a mixture of what I've described above and application from Jack he would become a very effective player (hopefully for us). 

• Like 2

For me it’s just a confidence thing. Last season he was bossing games whereas this season things aren’t coming off for him. As long as he keeps working hard it will start happening again for him. 

He was never as good as the hype though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Too many bad habits have able to go unchecked on a matchday, too many individual errors , keep happening.

something has gone unabated, hence why we are where we are.

Jack is just caught up in it all and his game has been affected.

I think the new manager will sort him out.

18 hours ago, KMitch said:

Maddison has been phenomenal this season.  There were a lot of Villa Talkers slating Leicester for paying as much as they did for him this summer, but he's proving to be a bargain.  I can see Leicester selling him to one of the Sky teams in a year or two for 50 Mil plus.  Maddison dominates games and pulls all the strings, something Grealish hasn't done a lot of in his career so far.  He wins a lot of fouls and makes some beautiful passes, but he isn't ruthless enough with his play.  Jacky boy needs a tactical manager to show him exactly how to dominate games at this level.

Agreed, grealish needs more end product , his assists and goals are far lower than they should be with his ability .

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agreed, grealish needs more end product , his assists and goals are far lower than they should be with his ability .

Yes, for someone who last season played a more advanced role he has to deliver more, yes there's a lot of touches on the ball and key passes, but for a number 10 type player you need a lot more in the way of assists. Someone compared him to Dembele here which is all well and good but he hasn't been deployed in a 'Dembele role'. Grealish has to deliver more, he's capable of it, let's hope he now gets the coaches to get that out of him. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â