The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

16 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Thats perhaps where Jack needs to be more selfish then?

Or more aware of space.

Is he trying to do to much, he is a number 10, be a bit more selfish, tracking back is fine, Saiz does it for us, but he is always available for the forward pass, in space on the half turn.

He cant do everyones job for them, if the build up is slow then thats down to his teammates and manager, or him himself for not making himself available in a more offensive position? 

Grealish is not as good as Saiz. Im amazed you’ve managed to keep hold of him. Way too good for this league.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Grealish is not as good as Saiz. Im amazed you’ve managed to keep hold of him. Way too good for this league.

Have same stats for this season. 7 games and 1 assist and the stats for last season arent that much different

7 hours ago, Cjay said:

I have a question.

Not a wind up just a question to those who blame Steve Bruce for Grealish under performing, saying its because of Bruces style, or his teammates or whatever.

Pablo Hernandez at 32 was directly responsible for 38% of the points Paul Heckingbottom achieved.

Either scoring or assisting, and we were worse then you are now, we were hopeless. 

So, my question is.

If an ageing past his prime Pablo Hernandez can drag a terrible Leeds side (without your strong squad) and with an even worse manager then Bruce, if Pablo can directly earn us points in spite of the circumstances, why cant Grealish? 

Switch Saiz and Grealish round and you'd soon be certain of winning the league.

Grealish is so good.

And Saiz would be brought down to our shitty level and look like he could hardly play football.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's worth keeping a sense of perspective on things - Grealish isn't currently at his very best - he's still been comfortably our best player this season.

Spot on.

Having Grealish under Steve Bruce is like having Max Planck as your local electrician, Picasso to paint fences, Nikolay Tolstoj to write horoscopes et cetera

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

I think there's no debating when Jack plays well, we play well. The turmoil over the summer has wrecked his head from what I can see, maybe there was something in the rumours he wanted out and wasn't happy when the move was poo-pooed but he hasn't been anywhere near his best. 

We need our other "star" players to pull their fingers out because I'm sick of having to rely on Jack and then read the dross on these forums about him "being shit" when he under performs.

One thing he definitely can't be accused of, is being a bit shit ffs.

• Haha 1

Jacks problem at the moment is that he is having to track back to do some of the work that he shouldn't have to be doing. When he's doing this it stops him playing attacking creative football.

We looked like this on Saturday:

Abraham

Grealish

Adomah        McGinn             Elmo

Jedinak

Each time McGinn dropped in to help Jedinak out (whose legs have now gone), Grealish was having to drop in to play the centre midfield role or track all the way back to help out.

We need to play like this:

Abraham

Kodjia           Grealish         Bolasie/El Ghazi

Hourihane      McGinn

We now have two players with legs doing all of the tracking back and driving forward sat right behind Jack. Alongside him he has two attacking wingers, instead of two wingers set out to cover our full backs.

Automatically he now has options ahead, left, right and with a Hourihane or McGinn pushing forward he has at least one right next to him.

He's a special player and he needs to be given that free role in the middle of the park to do what he wants, he automatically draws two players to him every time he gets the ball leaving space for the other players around him.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wouldn't say that about Saiz myself tbh.

He is good and on his day can seem to good for thus league, but can also see why he at 27 has never played at a higher level. 

He has a tendency to hold on to the ball to long. 

Whereas when you watch Hernandez who has played at a higher level, you can see the difference if that makes sense. 

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Switch Saiz and Grealish round and you'd soon be certain of winning the league.

Grealish is so good.

And Saiz would be brought down to our shitty level and look like he could hardly play football.

Based on what?

Sorry I'm not trying to be deliberately difficult.

But statements like the one in bold.

What has he done that makes him "so good"? 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Don't be clouded by stats.

Conor Hourihane's stats are better than grealish's, but you won't find a single Villa fan who thinks Hourihane is the better player.

We'd all like a bit more end product from jack, but not all midfielders lay on goals and score them.

Luka Modric is a midfielder in a very similar vein to Grealish (I'm not for one second comparing ability. Modric is obviously far superior). He's got what? something like 10 goals and 20 assists in 7 seasons at Real Madrid.
Yet he's widely considered one of the best midfielders in the world.

So to answer your question, he does. Grealish has singlehandedly dragged us through games in the past. Yet he hasn't got on the scoresheet or laid on an assist. Doesn't mean he hasn't been by far the best player on the pitch and dominated the game.

Fair point 

Stats can be misleading, Saiz statistically hasnt shone but watching him week in week out i know different.

Wouldn't say Modric is a fair comparison though, different players. Grealish is a number 10 or winger isnt he? Modric hasnt played that role at all for Madrid and not since his early years at Spurs. 

Xavi would be similar, a dictator but again different roles.

Iniesta in his prime probably most similar to Grealish, rarely scored but he did get assists.

I understand your point though. 

2 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Wouldn't say Modric is a fair comparison though, different players. Grealish is a number 10 or winger isnt he? Modric hasnt played that role at all for Madrid and not since his early years at Spurs. 

No, not really. He's filled in on the wing before but there is no way anyone would class him as a winger. Similarly he's often quite advanced but he doesn't play like a number 10. He's usually deeper than that pulling the strings and it's usually the midfielder along side him, like Hourihane as I mentioned, who make the runs into the box and end up scoring or assisting.

14 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Wouldn't say that about Saiz myself tbh.

He is good and on his day can seem to good for thus league, but can also see why he at 27 has never played at a higher level. 

He has a tendency to hold on to the ball to long. 

Whereas when you watch Hernandez who has played at a higher level, you can see the difference if that makes sense. 

Fair enough. Probably got a bit carried away saying he is better than Grealish. He has just impressed me whenever I saw him. 

As for Hernandez I have no idea idea how you managed to sign him at 29. He must have been quite fond of Monk.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, not really. He's filled in on the wing before but there is no way anyone would class him as a winger. Similarly he's often quite advanced but he doesn't play like a number 10. He's usually deeper than that pulling the strings and it's usually the midfielder along side him, like Hourihane as I mentioned, who make the runs into the box and end up scoring or assisting.

Oh i see.

I always thought he was a number 10, thats how he appears on the Sky position stuff, if he isnt thenI'm judging him wrong. 

Is he meant to be a number 10 though? 

Noticed vs Blackburn he was so deep at times, as you say he drops deep. Thats not really a number 10 position. 

Perhaps he would be better served playing more like a traditional number 10, find space, between the lines, half turn etc?

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough. Probably got a bit carried away saying he is better than Grealish. He has just impressed me whenever I saw him. 

As for Hernandez I have no idea idea how you managed to sign him at 29. He must have been quite fond of Monk.

Id say he is better then Grealish imo. 

But Grealish has more potential.

Hernandez is great, my favourite player, if we could give him Saiz's pace then we would walk the league. 

Created more chances per game then any other Championship player last season

He is to good for this league.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was 31 when they signed him though he was becoming a journeyman previous few seasons

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That makes more sense. I figured he was younger as @Cjay said he was 32 and he had been at Leeds a few seasons. 

Yeah sorry he was 32 last season turned 33 in April. 

Past his prime but with your own Conor Hourihane has the joint most assists in the last 2 seasons.

And the most chances created of any player last season.

Love Pablo. 

Â