The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I also agree we looked better once he went off. I always find he slows the pace down when we need a little bit of urgency and doesn’t really seem to give us anything in attack or defence. 

I went to the game with a United fan friend and he said similar. Couldn’t see what his role in the side was as he just seemed to drift around offering little.

It looks like he needs some firm objectives from the coaching staff. The ability is undoubtedly there, just needs to have more refined task in the team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I also agree we looked better once he went off. I always find he slows the pace down when we need a little bit of urgency and doesn’t really seem to give us anything in attack or defence. 

I went to the game with a United fan friend and he said similar. Couldn’t see what his role in the side was as he just seemed to drift around offering little.

It looks like he needs some firm objectives from the coaching staff. The ability is undoubtedly there, just needs to have more refined task in the team.

That's always been the major flaw in his game, but I think he is getting better and better at it.

Sure it would also help immensely if the players around him were better at movement without the ball and if we had more patterns in out play

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think its more to do with a lack of intelligent exploitation of space from a runner.....Jack does struggle to find someone in a good position to pass to, they are usually in a no better position than him who is being closed down.

These 3/4 yard passes in midfield from our players tickle me.....its just lazy brain work and it slows the play down.....not just Jack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

We win more without him, we play better without him, its pretty much fact. Too much of a luxury player, at the minute we just need an attacking midfielder who can score and assist. 

I must admit a David Platt type would come in handy.

He plays too deep for me to have max affect on the team....but that is more of a criticism of his team mates ball control, than him.

Bruce or Jack himself feel a need to go deep to pick the ball up and run with it, due to his sublime ball control......then the debatable intelligence kicks in from the rest to exploit Jacks runs....so it usually breaks down......rinse and repeat.

Then the predictability of our play takes a grip.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Yes let's drop Jack and play hourihane more often, that will solve all our problems...

You guys crack me up. 

I don't think that is being said at all.

5 minutes ago, tezzaleed said:

I can't believe this thread.  I came in to see if there was any news on Jack's injury and find people slating him.  Genuinely if you're looking to blame Jack in anyway for our failings there's something wrong with you. 

Nobody is giving him any blame in anything, some  of us just think he actually doesn't really do much in this team. 

I would genuinely start Hourihane next game attacking midfield, he's so much more of a threat around the edge of the area, it's alright grealish picking it up deep and running past 5 blokes but when he's just passing it out wide to adomah at the end of it it's all a bit pointless. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We're too static. Jack is constantly looking for movement in front of him, but it rarely comes so he has to hold onto the ball. I just want to see us play a pass-move style of football for Jack's sake more than anything. His talent is wasted on our current set-up.

Bruce has said he has built our team around Jack.

Great idea in principle, he's our best player, but when the extent of his implementation of that is 'get it to Jack and hope he works his magic', then you end up with what we have seen too many times.

Some games where it all clicks, where Jack runs the show, others where Jack ends up picking the ball up in his own half while everyone else stands around and we look like a clueless, poorly coached side.

2 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

Let's not start using Jack as the scapegoat ffs, there's far more urgent matters we need to address than having (an injured) Jack be invisible for 45 minutes.

Not using him as a scapegoat at all myself, but to be fair early days I actually thought what a couple of posters above said.

However I think that's probably the only negative he has sometimes, no player is perfect.

Sometimes it seems he has got astrological equations going through his head before he makes a move. lol

He is not the best at breaking forward on an attack, but he is the best at beginning them.

19 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Nobody is giving him any blame in anything, some  of us just think he actually doesn't really do much in this team. 

I would genuinely start Hourihane next game attacking midfield, he's so much more of a threat around the edge of the area, it's alright grealish picking it up deep and running past 5 blokes but when he's just passing it out wide to adomah at the end of it it's all a bit pointless. 

I would start Jack and Hourihane but that's just me....

5 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

We win more without him, we play better without him, its pretty much fact.

Definitely an opinion.

I can see things turning with Jack sadly. There's no way he'll be signing a new contract here, and suddenly we won't be getting much money for him. Pressure will come from his agent to move and Villa to sign on again and it could all turn sour.

I love him for it, but he's decided to waste this part of his career and stay here under this manager. He'll be watching Maddison get raves reviews for Leicester, and Foden being called into the England squad and wondering what the hell he's doing with himself.

So yes. It's another problem that would be solved if this waster of a manager can be removed.

2 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

I can't believe this thread.  I came in to see if there was any news on Jack's injury and find people slating him.  Genuinely if you're looking to blame Jack in anyway for our failings there's something wrong with you. 

Seriously, some people here go mad when we don't win a game. The absolute scramble to find a scapegoat and jump to extreme conclusions is truly bizarre, in the space of a few draws Jack goes from too good for the league to we're better off without him. 

Give your heads a shake lads.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 3

We looked better when he went off... because he was injured for pretty early on in the first half and carried the injury through to half time... it limited his movement and his influence on the game.

To say that he should be dropped is utter nonsense. He's our best player by a country mile and we would have won yesterday had he been able to play the 90 minutes. 

Granted Hourihane played very well when he came on but he is a player that can influence the game from deep as his game is based more on box to box running, tracking players and making late runs into the box.

To get Grealish firing on all cylinders for us we need to start playing him in the attacking midfielder role with two centre midfielders behind him who can do the dirty work and drop deep to pick up the ball and carry it. McGinn and Hourihane can do this. Bruce unfortunately is too afraid to drop the defensive midfielder in place of an attacking midfielder, and it could be argued that with the state of our defence the defensive midfielder is now needed more than ever. 

The last two games have proved that going forward we are a threat, and with the current defensive vulnerabilities we are going to have to rely on a 'we will score more than you' attitude if we are to succeed.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We're too static. Jack is constantly looking for movement in front of him, but it rarely comes so he has to hold onto the ball. I just want to see us play a pass-move style of football for Jack's sake more than anything. His talent is wasted on our current set-up.

Absolutely this.

Doesn't help only having three in midfield with him being one...the other the immobile Whelan in front of the back four leaving either adomah on one wing or elmo on other which can be some 60 yards away depending on where he picks up the ball...theres no upfront option as kodjia is marked out the game most of the time 

• Like 1

Â