The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

29 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Tbf he does not look half the player Lee Hendrie was

Lee Hendrie was good but not great and had terrible spells where he was useless. A lot of the time he picked up when a new contract was due. Hendrie struggled in a 2 man midfield and we got the best out of him in a 3. 

Jack is 21.

Twenty one.

You are basing him up against Hendrie's complete career, remembering all his good, but forgetting a lot of bad.

On 6/22/2017 at 06:56, DK82 said:

At 21, Hendrie had played 17 and scored 3.

Grealish has played 60 and scored six.

Hendrie played in a much better side too.

By the time he was 23, Hendrie had played 78 and scored 7. I'd say Jack is about level with a 23 year old Hendrie, who also blew hot and cold.

I'm confused - does the latter line mean that Hendrie's feats at a young age were more impressive because it was harder to get into the "much better side", or are you using that as some way of stating he should've done more?

On 22/06/2017 at 06:56, DK82 said:

At 21, Hendrie had played 17 and scored 3.

Grealish has played 60 and scored six.

Hendrie played in a much better side too.

By the time he was 23, Hendrie had played 78 and scored 7. I'd say Jack is about level with a 23 year old Hendrie, who also blew hot and cold.

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm confused - does the latter line mean that Hendrie's feats at a young age were more impressive because it was harder to get into the "much better side", or are you using that as some way of stating he should've done more?

I found these stats a bit confusing as well. My interpretation is that Grealish's and Hendrie's careers have taken very different courses and it's impossible to conclude anything meaningful from the comparison - nor to get any clue about Jack's future path.

Sometimes stats don't help much.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I found these stats a bit confusing as well. My interpretation is that Grealish's and Hendrie's careers have taken very different courses and it's impossible to conclude anything meaningful from the comparison - nor to get any clue about Jack's future path.

Grealish has a similar record to a 23 year old Hendrie, whilst playing in a much worse team with constant changes of managers and a high turnover of players.

Which is in reply to those saying Hendrie was a much better player.

Edited by DK82

3 hours ago, John said:

The long will he or won't he indecision concerning Jack picking England over Ireland seems a touch irrelevant now as he has not been getting regular games for either England U21s nor Villa lately.   

Last season proved to be a lot harder for Jack than we and I guess he had anticipated. He now has to work at his game and to consistently produce the sort of display that he did in that FA Cup semi-final against Liverpool or at least something near it. He has shown he has the ability to play a big part in helping us to get out of this division and had a choice of two international sides who were fighting to get him to turn out for them not too long ago.

I'm sure Jack will not have enjoyed sitting on the bench in Poland and at Villa Park. During this close season and the season to come Jack needs to target starting every game for us and showing not just occasional glimpses of the talent he has but 90 minutes of it. Given his ability that should be well within his reach. I'm sure that Jack realises that he cannot afford to let another season pass him by.       

The problem for me is......I am not sure.

He could be like his mate Dele Ali.....He has the capability.I am not sure he has the drive and determination to match his ability.I hope I am wrong and that he is a late maturer.

However, I do feel if anyone can John Terry could have an influence on him and bring out what we all know he has.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

You are basing him up against Hendrie's complete career, remembering all his good, but forgetting a lot of bad.

I am not going to quote stats (basically because I don't really know them that well tbh),but the Hendrie I remember had a great work rate and stamina and used it to great effect in the 90's sides he was in.

in comparison to Jack who has tremendous talent, but appears to lack Lees will and desire.......

Both are Villa youth products and so have longer rope as far as I am concerned, so maybe I have looked back on Lees earlier Villa career with rose tinted glasses? Jack on the other hand could really be something at Villa and I hope he can be!

Jack is just another example of a player who has gone stale at Villa

I guarantee when he finally moves which he will in the next couple of seasons he will go on to be a world beater and probably get sold again by the next club he plays for to an even bigger club for a ridiculous fee.

6 hours ago, Villastine said:

Well this season must have been a massive reality check for Jack.

Not first choice for a very poor Villa side and not getting a look in with the England 21s is evidence of how much he has regressed.

It’s pretty much make or break next season.

If only that wasn't said of him LAST season....

(And my guess is it will be said of him the season after next too...)

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

No I think the point of the stats is to show that when people say Hendrie had done more or that Jack should be doing more, the facts re- the comparison at the same age is that Jack actually has done more.

Obviously there are other more complicated elements to the discussion around the levels both were playing at (Hendrie higher), and the promise both showed as kids (Grealish higher) meaning that at this point maybe Grealish's stats should be more impressive than they are when compared to the eternal promising youngster that was Hendrie.

But as always the reality is somewhere in the middle.  Of course Jack could have had so much more done at this point in time, but he hasn't done zero, and he is still ahead of the arbitrary curve some put down to him.

What we all don't disagree on, and yes we've said it last year too, is that this coming year will be a big one for him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Jack is just another example of a player who has gone stale at Villa

I guarantee when he finally moves which he will in the next couple of seasons he will go on to be a world beater and probably get sold again by the next club he plays for to an even bigger club for a ridiculous fee.

The interesting thing about this forum is how opinions differ.

I don't think he has gone stale, more to do with not driving himself on to success for me.....hasn't got the necessary mental approach to be what we all want him to be.

Thats not a criticism just an observation......folk are what they are.

I don't see this happening at all.

• My heart says I sincerely hope you are right for his sake and shame for us, but ......
  • My head says not a chance.

I would love to be wrong.....I would love him to do it for us. 

4 hours ago, DK82 said:

Grealish has a similar record to a 23 year old Hendrie, whilst playing in a much worse team with constant changes of managers and a high turnover of players.

Which is in reply to those saying Hendrie was a much better player.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

No I think the point of the stats is to show that when people say Hendrie had done more or that Jack should be doing more, the facts re- the comparison at the same age is that Jack actually has done more.

Obviously there are other more complicated elements to the discussion around the levels both were playing at (Hendrie higher), and the promise both showed as kids (Grealish higher) meaning that at this point maybe Grealish's stats should be more impressive than they are when compared to the eternal promising youngster that was Hendrie.

But as always the reality is somewhere in the middle.  Of course Jack could have had so much more done at this point in time, but he hasn't done zero, and he is still ahead of the arbitrary curve some put down to him.

What we all don't disagree on, and yes we've said it last year too, is that this coming year will be a big one for him.

Yes, sorry, hadn't made the connection with the earlier comment that Hendrie achieved far more than Jack has or will. Obviously wrong and the stats quoted do refute that.

I think they don't show much more because the contexts in which Hendrie and Grealish played/play are so different.

I would love to see Jack get a season in a team that wasn't dysfunctional and failing. I don't think he's had one yet. A lot of the talk in this thread puts the onus entirely on Grealish to pull himself together, be more consistent, etc., but there is also a responsibility to provide him with an environment that will allow his talent to flourish.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Yes, sorry, hadn't made the connection with the earlier comment that Hendrie achieved far more than Jack has or will. Obviously wrong and the stats quoted do refute that.

I think they don't show much more because the contexts in which Hendrie and Grealish played/play are so different.

I would love to see Jack get a season in a team that wasn't dysfunctional and failing. I don't think he's had one yet. A lot of the talk in this thread puts the onus entirely on Grealish to pull himself together, be more consistent, etc., but there is also a responsibility to provide him with an environment that will allow his talent to flourish.

I should have quoted those to be fair.

Fingers crossed we will see more of Jack's quality the better the team gets.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

On social media him still being on holiday rather than playing tonight is a stick to beat him with...

I think even thou he didn't feature during the U21 Euro's he's still entitled to a holiday :)

Just stay off the Daniel's Jack

• Like 4

Hes back in training.. he came back a day early.. not much but a good sign that hes eager to please. Probably wants to play against Walsall.

Good to see. Come on Jack. Last chance this season. We need him to start most matches and create chances... He should be far too good for the Championship. A player of his calibre.. should really be targeting 10 goals and 10-12 assists.

Â