The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was the argument but I disagreed. Always felt we needed a better squad and that money would help us do that. But yes, only time will tell. 

I think our squad would always have been a lot better. Watkins, Grealish, Buendia, Traore with likely one of Ings/Bailey would have been good. We didn't actually spend any money on the squad this summer.

• Like 1

Looked poor tonight. Can’t figure out why he always came back in on his right foot with a sideways or backwards pass after he had carried the ball. If he had mixed it up and gone to the line and crossed on his left foot might have had more joy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Admittedly I didn't see the first-half but did watch the second-half...

He looked tired, languid, consistent at slowing things down with the ball and even slower at tracking back (barely tried). Also seemed the dive quite a bit, referee was not buying it!

They look and remind me of that Arsenal team who over-played and tried to pass the ball into the net.

I have always been a Messi fan so maybe I'm a little biased and glad Idrissa Gueye and Messi upstaged the £100 million player. As was mentioned earlier they were probably hoping £100 million players would be making the difference in matches like this.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Looked poor tonight. Can’t figure out why he always came back in on his right foot with a sideways or backwards pass after he had carried the ball. If he had mixed it up and gone to the line and crossed on his left foot might have had more joy. 

Yeah Foden added a better balance and looked more natural when he came on. He also didn't slow things down like the substitute...

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You’d be wrong but yeah you could. 

The point is we wouldn’t be offering him champions league football any time in the near future. This is why he left. 

Personally, I don't give a shit about European football, and haven't watched a game of it for well over a decade. I'd far rather Villa won the League Cup than finished 4th in the league (except that to finish 4th we'd have won loads of matches which I'd have loved, but I just mean the final 'reward' of 4th).

However, you're completely right that no professional footballer feels the same way and that this is the stage that matters to them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Personally, I don't give a shit about European football, and haven't watched a game of it for well over a decade. I'd far rather Villa won the League Cup than finished 4th in the league (except that to finish 4th we'd have won loads of matches which I'd have loved, but I just mean the final 'reward' of 4th).

However, you're completely right that no professional footballer feels the same way and that this is the stage that matters to them.

I agree with this. Obviously it would be different if Villa were in it but I catch more non Villa fa cup games than European games. Just doesn’t interest me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

Grealish's biggest assets was his ability to play off the cuff and be unpredictable. He just seems so safe and rigid now to play within City's system.

There was a counterattack in the first half where he was driving through the middle and it looked like the Grealish of old and then he just stops and lays it off to De Bruyne. For Villa he would have driven to the penalty box. I thought he was being restricted by Pep (probably is to a degree), but Foden came on in his place and was way more penetrating. Maybe he's scared of coming across as a maverick or isn't trying to get on Pep's bad side. 

Looks like Jack glitched tonight. Now getting slated and laughed at which is a bit pathetic as he's been decent for City so far this season. However this is a wake up call on the biggest stage so you can expect to be a hero one week and shot down the next if you don't impact. People forget there are 10 other players on the pitch with him but the 100m tag will follow him around I suppose! 

Edited by birdman

20 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Looks like he is playing with ankle weights on. Alot like how he was playing just before shin issues last season. Weight of pass off. Zero dynamism . Playing within himself . Or even worse maybe he is playing with fear. 

Hasn't once looked the player he was since before his stint out at the end of last season.

He gets away with it because he's incredible, but he's not got any of the zip he had before. Thought it would come back once he played a bit and got fit...perhaps not. Not a £100m player without it IMO.

If it never comes back we've robbed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

You could argue that Ronaldo is the best player in the world and you could argue that the Premier League is the best club competition in the world as well

Ronaldo is nowhere near the best player in the world. A few years back maybe (although Messi has always been the more natural footballer), now he's just a poacher. A very good one, but his all round game is not good.

He's basically a slightly better version of Chicharito or Rob Earnshaw.

;)

Edited by Tom13

Â