The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

One of the saddest things for me was that he spent his last season in a villa shirt playing in an empty stadium.

He was clearly in his element and absolutely world class, we've all been saying it for ages and now people can see it 

that is what is pisses me off about all this and is what is wrong with football

thats why im not angry at grealish or agent or city

until this recognition and fair competition part of football is fixed this will just keep happening

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that is what is pisses me off about all this and is what is wrong with football

thats why im not angry at grealish or agent or city

until this recognition and fair competition part of football is fixed this will just keep happening

I wonder if he would have stayed a little bit longer had he won PFA POTY (I think he was a shoo-in before the injury) or was England's main man during the Euros and they won it. Ever since he moved to City, he's become the face of the PL...he's on what seems like every promo picture. He didn't explode as a player over the summer. He's the same player. He didn't learn any new tricks while on the bench for England.

The level of exposure for players is extremely incongruent. People and pundits no less are very reluctant to give players of lesser teams proper respect. It's a subconscious (or maybe not so subconscious) way of nudging players towards the big 6 clubs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

His dream come true in just 1 night, playing alongside his favourite player to top it off. He could play for Villa til he was 40 and it probably wouldn't happen. 

This comes across that you're more of a Grealish fan than a Villa fan (no offence). Might be right that he could play until he's 40 and not play CL with us, but everyone would have said that about a City player pre-2008 too. 

What I know is that if we're not regularly competing for the top 6 in the next 2-5 years we won't have succeeded. That is the long term plan. I'm sure he's happy playing CL football, I personally would have preferred him to go abroad to play CL football than with them but it's done now.

7 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This comes across that you're more of a Grealish fan than a Villa fan (no offence).

Might be right that he could play until he's 40 and not play CL with us, but everyone would have said that about a City player pre-2008 too. 

What I know is that if we're not regularly competing for the top 6 in the next 2-5 years we won't have succeeded. That is the long term plan.

I'm sure he's happy playing CL football, I personally would have preferred him to go abroad to play CL football than with them but it's done now. 

And the noises from Villatalk saying that he wouldn't leave because of his great relationship with Smith.

He may have liked him as a person but clearly didn't respect him as a manager if he felt he had to move to fulfill his ambitions.

We need to stop talking a good game and show it on the pitch. If we don't break into that top 6 we will keep losing our best players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

And the noises from Villatalk saying that he wouldn't leave because of his great relationship with Smith.

He may have liked him as a person but clearly didn't respect him as a manager if he felt he had to move to fulfill his ambitions.

We need to stop talking a good game and show it on the pitch. If we don't break into that top 6 we will keep losing our best players.

Yeah, a lot of those posters now praising Grealish for leaving Villa will also be the same ones defending Smith like their lives depend on it. Can't have much faith in the manager if they believe Grealish had to leave Villa because we weren't going anywhere. 

I'm so happy for him. He lived out his personal dream with us. He's living out his professional dream with them. 

When I retire from the teaching game, it'll be the personal memories I made outside my job that I cherish over those made in my job. 

Jack captained Villa. That will always be his personal pinnacle.

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Can't have much faith in the manager if they believe Grealish had to leave Villa because we weren't going anywhere. 

Nothing to do with Smith or even the owners

We aren't going to what man City are, the door has shut, the PL made sure of it, there are literally rules in place to stop us getting to man city's level 

That's why for this anger and energy aimed at grealish is wasted, we have a whole league, European and national team system that operates on a level blazenly flirting with corruption... And fans would rather vent their spleen at a PR statement about "my club" 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I wonder if he would have stayed a little bit longer had he won PFA POTY (I think he was a shoo-in before the injury) or was England's main man during the Euros and they won it. Ever since he moved to City, he's become the face of the PL...he's on what seems like every promo picture. He didn't explode as a player over the summer. He's the same player. He didn't learn any new tricks while on the bench for England.

No, but his England presence made him visible to not-necessarily-the-biggest football fans, who all swooned over him and made him a pin-up.  It's only natural for media/PL to have such an 'interesting' player as their main star.  The girls aren't swooning over Harry Kane or KDB, the young lads aren't asking for a Harry Kane or KDB haircut etc.

I don't think much of the hype is actually City-based (obviously partly there due to the fee involved) - it's mostly just off the back of whatever the hell happened over the summer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm so happy for him. He lived out his personal dream with us. He's living out his professional dream with them. 

When I retire from the teaching game, it'll be the personal memories I made outside my job that I cherish over those made in my job. 

Jack captained Villa. That will always be his personal pinnacle.

Doesn't look like a personal dream when ever since our Owners come in he were looking for a way out at one of the usual top finishers in the league.

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I agree with the bolded. I pouted a bit for a day, and then I've got on with it and it's fine. But there are people in this thread who seem extremely butt-hurt about it, and like they are really struggling to recover.

I can only speak for myself, being one of those who, against my better judgement, keeps getting involved in this debate:

I’m not half as annoyed with the whole Jack Grealish story as I am about Villa fans belittling other Villa fans’ emotions and Villa fans sanctimoniously labelling other Villa fans ‘small time’, ‘pathetic’ and ‘obsessed’ for expressing resentment towards a player who chose to leave. It’s fine not to agree with that resentment, but stop holding Villa fans to an absolutely absurd standard of reasonableness and acting like their feelings aren’t normal. Because they are. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He is world class and will shine for city.

Looked more world class at Villa than he does at City, I'm afraid it was just a money whore move and whatever made Jack the player he were ended when he threw in respect and loyalty for the expensive way of life and medals.

In a way I don't blame him for doing it but he could of showed the world for once that money doesn't always make a player or define one and sticking by Villa would of showed that.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Looked more world class at Villa than he does at City, I'm afraid it was just a money whore move and whatever made Jack the player he were ended when he threw in respect and loyalty for the expensive way of life and medals.

In a way I don't blame him for doing it but he could of showed the world for once that money doesn't always make a player or define one and sticking by Villa would of showed that.

He's repeatedly said he moved to win things and play in the CL.  Why do people keep talking about it being for money?

• Like 4

Just now, bobzy said:

He's repeatedly said he moved to win things and play in the CL.  Why do people keep talking about it being for money?

He said he'd like to play in the champions league, never heard him once say he wanted to do it with another club.

It's the things he has said to the club and to the fans that clearly showed he traded in what he had for money and I don't blame fans one bit for hating on him for it.

Sure he wants to better himself and theres nothing wrong in that. If Jack had of just left for City and he had not said some of the things he obviously said, I doubt there'd be any problem with it from villa fans. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nothing to do with Smith or even the owners

We aren't going to what man City are, the door has shut, the PL made sure of it, there are literally rules in place to stop us getting to man city's level 

That's why for this anger and energy aimed at grealish is wasted, we have a whole league, European and national team system that operates on a level blazenly flirting with corruption... And fans would rather vent their spleen at a PR statement about "my club" 

I agree with you to an extent, FFP has made things worse ironically. Someone said City are like FM on cheat mode and I agree with them. The system is very much difficult to break currently and I'm sure the FA, Fifa and other bodies don't want it broken. But there are numerous examples of teams in other leagues breaking through this, Lille, Atalanta, Atletico Madrid, even Spurs under Poch broke through to the top 4 regularly without having to spend their way there.

We can't be ruled out in future - a quality manager, great owners, a well run football club, and smart signings that are well scouted can still lead to success in this league and challenging for the top 4/6. Leicester a fine example of this and I see our structure as quite similar to theirs (except their scouting seems to be way better than ours despite our appointment of Lange). Equally, a club with lots of money and a badly run club can do the opposite. See Everton and West Ham in recent years.

So it is to a degree an indictment of Smith and possibly even the owners when some of our fans say we ain't getting into Europe soon. That goes against everything the owners have said they are trying to achieve, and what Smith has said, so clearly they aren't endorsing the owners and manager and are sceptical their words are true. 

I think the anger with Grealish is, regardless of whether it was a PR stunt, he made that "my club" statement publicly knowing full well there was an exit clause in his contract. It's irrelevant that it was a £100m one, he's even come out and said they put it in because they thought a club would meet it so those were hollow words.

Maybe his social media team should be blamed instead, I don't know, but Grealish despite his football talent doesn't have much going on upstairs and that's why he does these daft things which are only going to upset people. Just like when he stupidly drove his car drunk while on lockdown and then put out that ridiculously weak apology. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I agree we won't do a Man Citeh, short of the Saudis taking over a club nobody else will. But I do think it is very easy with Jack going in the way that he has, to be pessimistic. There are a number of high potential young players at our club who will get the time and space to develop at the top level, and we will be able to buy talent in to support that in every window - it might sound like a pipe dream but we are genuinely poised to grow the club to the point when the likes of Citeh can come in a pluck a player but the net effect will make us stronger. We're not far off what the likes of Southampton have done in the past only with the owners and will to see us past the setbacks of losing players like Grealish. And when the success comes, albeit with the assitance of big money from NSWE, it will feel like we earned it and that's a feeling Citeh fans will never feel.

Â