The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

As soon as his brother deleted his Twitter account, I knew it was done. It went under the radar somewhat but it was probably the biggest tell tale sign he was off.

FWIW, I think the club and the player have handled this terribly. Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket? Why did we feature him in a kit launch which probably results in thousands of kids getting 'Grealish' printed on the back of their shirts? Those kits are ruined now and they're not exactly cheap...Massive error on behalf of the club.

Onto Jack. I don't really know what to think anymore. He's given me some unbelievable memories in the last few seasons but to leave now? I have no doubt he wanted to leave last summer and by signing a contract with a release clause in it, he knew he was putting himself into a position where Villa couldn't stop him from leaving. A Villa fan? Meh. Spare me. 

£100m is a lot for a player who can't go through a season without disappearing off injured for large parts. If we can't invest this and improve as a team, we'd never break the top 4 anyway.

There wasn't a bid till Friday?

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

As soon as his brother deleted his Twitter account, I knew it was done. It went under the radar somewhat but it was probably the biggest tell tale sign he was off.

FWIW, I think the club and the player have handled this terribly. Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket? Why did we feature him in a kit launch which probably results in thousands of kids getting 'Grealish' printed on the back of their shirts? Those kits are ruined now and they're not exactly cheap...Massive error on behalf of the club.

Onto Jack. I don't really know what to think anymore. He's given me some unbelievable memories in the last few seasons but to leave now? I have no doubt he wanted to leave last summer and by signing a contract with a release clause in it, he knew he was putting himself into a position where Villa couldn't stop him from leaving. A Villa fan? Meh. Spare me. 

£100m is a lot for a player who can't go through a season without disappearing off injured for large parts. If we can't invest this and improve as a team, we'd never break the top 4 anyway.

Largely agree apart from the criticism of the club, they got in Buendia and Bailey before any announcement (still none yet). They had probably been assured by the player he was going to be staying as captain. There was no offer from City until last week, it does look like his representatives have been sounded out by City before they made their move and after that he's decided to go.

1 minute ago, mickjacobjr said:

Great to see him liking the clubs pics on Instagram in the last few mins on the drive to Manchester  shows he is a total hypocrite can’t have it both ways Jack 

He’s training with Villa mate. Plus it’s social media team doing that bollocks. Not him. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

FWIW, I think the club and the player have handled this terribly. Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket? Why did we feature him in a kit launch which probably resulted in thousands of kids getting 'Grealish' printed on the back of their shirts? Those kits are ruined now and they're not exactly cheap...Massive error on behalf of the club.

If the club knew he wanted out, this is all fair criticism. 

There are a few possibilities, I think

• We knew he wanted to go, and we mishandled it enormously.
  • He told us he'd stay and then backtracked, in which case he's a dickhead, but the club didn't want to hold him to ransom when we had a good offer
  • He was on the fence, and we gave him some time off to make up his mind, which is...nice, but slightly ill-judged?

You have to figure how disgusted his teammates are as well if he ultimately goes. I am sure some strong bonds have been formed there and even though they may understand on a certain level why he wants to go, they have to be irritated with him on why he is bailing now.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s training with Villa mate. Plus it’s social media team doing that bollocks. Not him. 

He is meant to do his own social media don’t think he has a team if he is training with Villa why the hell is he training with us when he wants out 

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

I’ve not posted on here in some time. I’ve seen some shitty comments in the topic over the last few hours, but this is the worst post I’ve ever read on Villa Talk. 

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think you've misunderstood (which is perhaps my fault)

It was in reference to the conspiracy theory that JLS was an insurance scam. Not the accident.

With hindsight it was a daft post by myself.

Just now, Davkaus said:

If the club knew he wanted out, this is all fair criticism. 

There are a few possibilities, I think

• We knew he wanted to go, and we mishandled it enormously.
  • He told us he'd stay and then backtracked, in which case he's a dickhead, but the club didn't want to hold him to ransom when we had a good offer
  • He was on the fence, and we gave him some time off to make up his mind, which is...nice, but slightly ill-judged?

For 3 I wouldn't say ill-judged. According to rumors we did everything we could to sway him. There's only so much you can do before a person just needs to be alone to make up his own mind.

35 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

That was against a club that he hates and for the club that he supposedly loves…

I couldn’t imagine, as a Villa fan, what it might feel like to have a stadium worth of Villa fans booing at me…

It would definitely hurt…

Wouldn't that just feel like a day on VillaTalk? 😆

1 minute ago, Big Salad said:

You have to figure how disgusted his teammates are as well if he ultimately goes. I am sure some strong bonds have been formed there and even though they may understand on a certain level why he wants to go, they have to be irritated with him on why he is bailing now.

Or they were already privy to the idea of him leaving. Knowing him so well I'm sure some of them knew he wanted to leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rubberman said:

There wasn't a bid till Friday?

If there is a very reachable release clause in the contract of a world class player, you absolutely need to be wary of him leaving at any point during the transfer window. Featuring him in a kit launch was daft and then the whole open air training stuff down on London was just plain weird.

Like I say, both Club and Player have handled this poorly. Jack more than the club. 

• Like 1

Anyone at all thinking maybe jack is actually holding this up, I mean if we've said we want 100 million, Jack's happy with terms, but still turning up to training, maybe just maybe it is him. He's seen the progression, the signings, the plan on one hand he is a massive villa fan and wants to lead and be part of it all on the other he has his want to prove himself at a much higher level. Maybe everyday he's playing with mcginn making him laugh, speaking to Dean, he's dragging his heels not knowing himself. Just an outside of the box thought 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket?

On the time off - it’s the law and also contractual and PFA agreed.

The other stuff- the club was doing and planning for the possibilities.

• Like 1

Put me in the camp that it’s better for our transfer dealings for this to have dragged out until the end of the window.  Assuming the powers-at-be knew Jack was off a few weeks ago, they could begin getting the ball rolling on our business without our feet held to the fire by Leverkusen, etc.

I think it was the smart play.

Â