The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

11 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Just playing devil's advocate - Rooney gave up his hero status at Everton to be a global superstar at ManUtd. Couldn't a similar argument be made for Grealish?

You won’t get anywhere on this forum by making well thought out and logical counter arguments like that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

To become another Totti… that would be huge. It’s very rare indeed…

Then we would say, who is going to be the next Grealish?

It's massive Jas, bigger then bought for trophies at nothing clubs, after the furore of winning any trophy it would be back to business straight away. The feeling of lifting one for us couldn't be measured,  its worth 100 trophies anywhere else.

• Like 3

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

It's massive Jas, bigger then bought for trophies at nothing clubs, after the furore of winning any trophy it would be back to business straight away. The feeling of lifting one for us couldn't be measured,  its worth 100 trophies anywhere else.

Agreed…

13 minutes ago, TH said:

As with everything it comes down to what he wants, be an absolute all time hero at Villa for multiple generations of fans, see where the ambition takes us, or end up as another miscellaneous mega money signing in the history of mega club Man City, win a trophy or 3 then end up who knows where.

It's easy for us as Villa fans to put it like this. but that won't be the choice for Jack, at least in his head.

Any player worth their salt will back themselves to succeed at the biggest clubs.

Jack won't see it as a choice between being a hero for Villa or being a "miscellaneous mega money signing".

He'll see it as a choice between being a hero at villa, or being a hero at Man City but with more money and more trophies. Or winning a few trophies at Man City and then getting a move to barcelona or Madrid, or Bayern Munich. Players as good as Jack will back themselves to suceed. He won't be looking at it in the negative way you've spun it

The only reason we've kept Jack so far is his love for the club.

Edited by Stevo985

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

To become another Totti… that would be huge. It’s very rare indeed…

Then we would say, who is going to be the next Grealish?

I've posted it several times on here before.  But for anyone who doesn't get the Totti thing just Google Totti's Last Farewall and watch the 45 minute version of the ovation he got when he retired.  Every single person in the stadium was in tears, his team-mates were in tears, even some of the opposition player were crying.  That type of ovation and emotion is so rare and something that very few players ever experience.  I hope that Jack's dad makes him watch it on a daily basis.  Even now whenever Totti is spotted at the Stadio Olimpico the place goes nuts.  That is something that will happen probably until the last match before he dies (Rome will go into a week long state of mourning at that point - if not longer).  It is insane.  Jack is probably one of a handful of people in European football who can experience that.  It is something that will make him feel loved for another 50 years.  Money just does not buy that.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's easy for us as Villa fans to put it like this. but that won't be the choice for Jack, at least in his head.

Any player worth their salt will back themselves to succeed at the biggest clubs.

Jack won't see it as a choice between being a hero for Villa or being a "miscellaneous mega money signing".

He'll see it as a choice between being a hero at villa, or being a hero at Man City but with more money and more trophies. Or winning a few trophies at Man City and then getting a move to barcelona or Madrid, or Bayern Munich. Players as good as Jack will back themselves to suceed. He won't be looking at it in the negative way you've spun it

The only reason we've kept Jack so far is his love For the club.

We’ve given him enough to be happy. I think we again did enough last season to keep him, but we have to keep delivering improvments.

For me, if we dont get into the UEFA Cup this year (or whatever those tits changed its name too) or 8th with an FA Cup/ League Cup then I think his head will be turned.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I've posted it several times on here before.  But for anyone who doesn't get the Totti thing just Google Totti's Last Farewall and watch the 45 minute version of the ovation he got when he retired.  Every single person in the stadium was in tears, his team-mates were in tears, even some of the opposition player were crying.  That type of ovation and emotion is so rare and something that very few players ever experience.  I hope that Jack's dad makes him watch it on a daily basis.  Even now whenever Totti is spotted at the Stadio Olimpico the place goes nuts.  That is something that will happen probably until the last match before he dies.  It is insane.  Jack is probably one of a handful of people in European football who can experience that.  It is something that will make him feel loved for another 50 years.  Money just does not buy that.

Indeed…

1 minute ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

We’ve given him enough to be happy. I think we again did enough last season to keep him, but we have to keep delivering improvments.

For me, if we dont get UEFA Cup this year (or whatever those tits changed its name too) or 8th with an FA Cup/ League Cup then I think his head will be turned.

Yep i agree. I think he's here for this season and if we haven't carried on improving he'll go. And we can't really blame him

I think people are seriously underrating Grealish if they think he'd be just another player at Man City, the only reason they'd sign him for the money that it would take to get him in the first place was if they had big plans for him, they don't pay big money for players they aren't going to use, and to sign Grealish they'd have to almost double their transfer record, if there's no release clause maybe it would take even more money; and I have no doubt whatsoever that he would excel in their team and become one of their standout players.

I think some have fallen into the trap of thinking that just because he was underused by England that it would be the same if he went to a club with a better squad than we have, but Guardiola plays a completely different style of football to Southgate, and Grealish is pretty much perfect for that style of football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people are seriously underrating Grealish if they think he'd be just another player at Man City, the only reason they'd sign him for the money that it would take to get him in the first place was if they had big plans for him, they don't pay big money for players they aren't going to use, and to sign Grealish they'd have to almost double their transfer record, if there's no release clause maybe it would take even more money; and I have no doubt whatsoever that he would excel in their team and become one of their standout players.

I think some have fallen into the trap of thinking that just because he was underused by England that it would be the same if he went to a club with a better squad than we have, but Guardiola plays a completely different style of football to Southgate, and Grealish is pretty much perfect for that style of football.

Yep. I think it would depend where he went.

I know City tend to rotate a lot and there's very few there who play every week.

But I think their playing style would be absolutely perfect for Grealish. I think he'd excel there.

• Thanks 1

In other words Grealish will be a star whether he stays with us or goes to Man City, so I don't think the question of what a move will do for his reputation or anything to do with 'adulation' will come into it.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep i agree. I think he's here for this season and if we haven't carried on improving he'll go. And we can't really blame him

That's why I think the club have been quite crafty suggesting it will be a quiet summer.  I think Jack will sign and I think there are at least 2 more big signings to be announced.  Our owners know that they have a massive opportunity this summer - last season's signings worked out pretty well, two/three/four of the teams who finished above us look like they are really struggling financially because they have budgeted for CL football and haven't got it, plenty of other teams are struggling financially due to Covid which means that they either need to sell to balance their books or can't spend as much as they would like, the ESL has I think made people look at "well run" clubs much more favourably than those who are "just after a profit" and we've seen one of our players join the club, get called up by his country for the first time, become his country's first choice in his position and been one of the players of a big international tournament AND another become possibly THE most talked about player in the country (and across Europe - certainly in Italy he seemed to be mentioned more than any other player outside the Italian national team).  I do think that we're in a great position to appeal to young, hungry players who maybe aren't quite at the stage of being regular starters for a CL club.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

In other words Grealish will be a star whether he stays with us or goes to Man City, so I don't think the question of what a move will do for his reputation or anything to do with 'adulation' will come into it.

He walks in to nany team in the world, he's currently walking in to his favourite team. It's the stuff of dreams. 

giannis antetokounmpo said it Tuesday, doing it for the club that gave you the opportunity, the club you love is worth more than taking the easy option.

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed…

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12142854/

Seen that? If not listen to what he says about when Roma played Real. Real wanted him badly to link up with Zidane, Figo and Raul up front. In the end he just says that it would have been impossible for him to leave Roma, it would have made no sense to him after he'd been at the club since he was a kid and had always dreamed of being like Giannini and then acheiving his dreams. 

He goes on to speak about how beautiful Rome is, which I'm guessing isn't an emotion Grealish will have felt about the Bull Ring as a kid but still you can't have everything. Point is, if Jack wants it he has a shot at being something almost impossibly rare because things have dropped into place with Edens and Sawiri in a way he could never have dreamed possible. It is now not just pure fantasy that if he stays here that he can win things with us and play against the best in Europe under the floodlights at Villa Park. 

That was all of our dreams even when it looked like we were royally **** in the Championship and going bust. It's more than a dream though now, much more. He must know that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Yes, but being a star at Man City is not the same thing. Imagine Man City beating us in a big final and him wearing the wrong colour shirt. He'd be a success and a star still. Then think about him staying and us beating them in a final, think he'd feel the same way about being a success and a star. Not even close.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Seen that? If not listen to what he says about when Roma played Real. Real wanted him badly to link up with Zidane, Figo and Raul up front. In the end he just says that it would have been impossible for him to leave Roma, it would have made no sense to him after he'd been at the club since he was a kid and had always dreamed of being like Giannini and then acheiving his dreams. 

He goes on to speak about how beautiful Rome is, which I'm guessing isn't an emotion Grealish will have felt about the Bull Ring as a kid but still you can't have everything. Point is, if Jack wants it he has a shot at being something almost impossibly rare because things have dropped into place with Edens and Sawiri in a way he could never have dreamed possible. It is now not just pure fantasy that if he stays here that he can win things with us and play against the best in Europe under the floodlights at Villa Park. 

That was all of our dreams even when it looked like we were royally **** in the Championship and going bust. It's more than a dream though now, much more. He must know that.

Sorry Roma no likes left.

The other thing about Jack is, he is like our Messi, we build around him. Although Jack walks in to any team in the world, only a couple can pull it off and of them there is no way he will play the way he likes to play there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I’ve started watching that, not finished it yet.

I watched the whole tv series, last episode was great.

And I’ve previously seen the scenes at the stadium when Totti made his last appearance, was in tears and bid farewell to the fans… amazing… who wouldn’t want that experience?

I’ve followed and enjoyed Italian football since I was a kid and there are very few players that have enjoyed the status and adulation that Totti has and still does to this day… he is world renowned for sticking with his boyhood club and achieving success with them. A genuine legend, icon, symbol… and a fantastic player and exceptional talent at that, such elegance in his play, a shame about his injuries but the story of his recovery and winning the World Cup with Italy is another amazing one…

Del Piero didn’t quite receive the same status but came close…

Maldini…

Maradona will forever be adored by Napoli fans…

It’s a rare and wonderful thing… to be loved and adored by your fellow fans and to realise the dream that so many have had but never got the opportunity to…

35 minutes ago, allani said:

I've posted it several times on here before.  But for anyone who doesn't get the Totti thing just Google Totti's Last Farewall and watch the 45 minute version of the ovation he got when he retired.  Every single person in the stadium was in tears, his team-mates were in tears, even some of the opposition player were crying.  That type of ovation and emotion is so rare and something that very few players ever experience.  I hope that Jack's dad makes him watch it on a daily basis.  Even now whenever Totti is spotted at the Stadio Olimpico the place goes nuts.  That is something that will happen probably until the last match before he dies (Rome will go into a week long state of mourning at that point - if not longer).  It is insane.  Jack is probably one of a handful of people in European football who can experience that.  It is something that will make him feel loved for another 50 years.  Money just does not buy that.

Totally this, but whatever you do don't just Google "Totti" or "Best of Totti" or "Show me Totti" 

• Haha 1

Â