The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I would have thought that they would have a rough idea as to who is going to take one and even the order but there would still be some sort of consultation and rejigging of it based on player feedback and feeling from the game 

Yeah maybe if someone said “I’m not feeling up to it gaffer” you might adjust. But demanding you go before someone else isn’t feedback is it. I doubt “he’s too young, take it off him and let me go before him” would play very well in any scenario. And no there wasn’t a ‘rough idea’ there was a written list which Southgate went and presented to the players in order of who was taking that was very clearly shown on TV. Didn’t see any of them say no. Grealish was asked if he would take #6 (a pressure penalty in itself as the first of sudden death) and he said yeah no problem.

Anyway think it’s all been covered, just surprised how many people think the players would be picking themselves (not surprised by Keane of course, he knows but he’s stirring).

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Jack came on four minutes into extra time and pretty sure he had about five touches of the ball. He really didn’t have an opportunity 

I recall a blocked shot and a backheel for Sakka . Given the minutes he had and the fact not much happens in period 2 of extra time I thought he did as well as he could of.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not really going to get drawn in to the debate around who took penalties, who decided it and who bottled it. That’s just masking over the fact that Italy deserved to win and the much bigger picture. 

Getting to the final and losing was the absolute worst result possible for England because Southgate will keep his job and nothing will change. 

We’re winning nothing under this guy. Expect much of the same at the World Cup. Boring, defensive, turgid football. 

When a team has 13 more shots, more shots on target than you had total, and 70% possession. You know you don't deserve the win. If spinnazola had been playing the scoreline would have been embarrassing. Had Insigne been on it tonight the scoreline would have been embarrassing. 

Another observation slightly less Jack orientated is that Southgate should have got everyone in a huddle while organising the pen takers. Everyone was dispersed and left to their own thoughts and conversations. Where is the team spirit in that? How can Gareth fire them up and guage who is prepared and who is less so? He shouldnt be wandering around trying to find players to talk to. I hope he addresses this in the future. 

Anyway - for Jack - from being nowhere near the England squad a year ago to playing himself into it and becoming the only English Villa player in our long history to play in a major international final. He keeps on with the achievements even when things aren’t going quite perfectly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdman said:

Another observation slightly less Jack orientated is that Southgate should have got everyone in a huddle while organising the pen takers. Everyone was dispersed and left to their own thoughts and conversations. Where is the team spirit in that? How can Gareth fire them up and guage who is prepared and who is less so? He shouldnt be wandering around trying to find players to talk to. I hope he addresses this in the future. 

Yes I noticed that too, they didn’t exactly look like a tight knit team full of focus. I agree with everything you say there apart from the last line. 

I hope he never gets the chance to address this in future. Time for a new manager…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Yes there are two important factors here one being Jack's injury issues. It's a fact he wasn't 100 percent fit so I think limiting his game time was necessary but not to the extent Southgate has under utilised him. The other thing is its clear you aren't going to get the best out of Jack unless he is starting games. He needs to be central or at least key to the strategy of the team. He can't help unless he has the ball at his feet. Jack has been used as an impact sub but Southgate hasn't got the game plan to make that work!

Southgate hasn't got the balls to take our attacking talent and build the team around that. It's all about building the team around a back line. That works until you start coming up against good teams. It's anti football and Gareth needs to learn from this. 

If we look at Italy. They have a player who couldn't play 90 minutes all tournament. They still started him and played him every minute they could.

Southgate is a twonk. And next year we won't even get close because Germany will have a fantastic manager like Italy with mancini. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He doesn't take penalties for Aston Villa. That's your evidence that he doesn't want the responsibility? Not that there might be better penalty takers in the squad, that it's a team game and despite occasional evidence to the contrary, he knows we're not actually Jack Grealish FC?

Yeah there definitely isn't a player for Aston villa who has never missed a penalty in his career. Nope. Not one at all. 

52 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

He has taken the team from being a laughing stock against Iceland to WC semi-finalists and Euros finalists in 5 years. I'm sure he's doing a bit more than keeping the lads' spirits up.

With historically easy runs to the finals. Our bracket didn't have a team in the top 10 in Europe. And the best team we played was missing their best player.

In 2018 we played Belgium twice we lost twice. We lost to a Croatia who weren't exactly lighting the world on fire and were instead getting through on 1 goal wins and penalties.

Southgate shouldn't receive plaudits for this. He did the bare minimum with the opponents we faced. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Anyway - for Jack - from being nowhere near the England squad a year ago to playing himself into it and becoming the only English Villa player in our long history to play in a major international final. He keeps on with the achievements even when things aren’t going quite perfectly.

Hear hear!! In 6 weeks he has become the peoples player nationally even if not in the eyes of the England Manager. Has earnt worldwide recognition for being genuinely Englands most flair player. He is certainly one player who wont let this affect him for the worst I expect Jack to come back after a holiday with intentions to notch it up again. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I take it back

Madness that the manager sets the players and the order, never heard of that before 

And that's before you then look at the absolute insanity that is putting saka 5th

I too made that mistake....but Jack has come out and disclosed the truth....He did volunteer to take one.

its bad enough losing, but then having to defend a false narrative.....The pundits should know better.

• Like 1

Â