The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I thought he was dating one of the woman's football team. Although I do think one of them went to the same school as him so maybe that is who he is dating. 

heard rumours about him and laura woods too

Everybody suddenly realizing he's an incredible player just shows how they never really watched him before beyond MOTD highlights, and are now seeing him in big games. He's been on this kind of sensational form since 2017. The only thing that's changed since then was that he's been getting better physically and he has better players around him now.

This is what I hate about football fans. They make sweeping definitive statements like "he's overrated" or "he's not worth more than 50m, he's just a big fish in a small pond" etc etc. It's big club bias syndrome. They can't fathom that a player from Aston Villa could be so good. If he was so good, why isn't he at one of their clubs? But the eye test never lies, and they can't pretend like they didn't just see what they saw.

• Like 2

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Having some horrible flashbacks to my Uncle's diary right now.

The first time was the hardest.  But after he did really well in there it got easier and easier to put him back in afterwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They have a huge advantage by playing for more successful teams, but as much stick as Sterling and Rashford get, look at their stats over the last full season. They've bloody good players and Jack's going to need to stay at his current level to have a chance. He's amazing at holding the ball, but it's keeping the goals and assists up that will earn him that starting place. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They have a huge advantage by playing for more successful teams, but as much stick as Sterling and Rashford get, look at their stats over the last full season. They've bloody good players and Jack's going to need to stay at his current level to have a chance. He's amazing at holding the ball, but it's keeping the goals and assists up that will earn him that starting place. 

Stats is a very black and white way of looking at it and it doesn't tell the full story.

Grealish brings much more to the team than just goals. I can't really say the same about Rashford. If Rashford doesn't have space to run into and a team has got every player behind the ball he doesn't offer very much.

20 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't get that. For an international manager, surely there's more to consider than just goals and assists? You also have to take into account the teams each player plays for. Jack was not going to hit 15 goals in that Villa side last season. He might just this year because he has better players around him. Surely it isn't rocket science for Southgate to work that out?

• Like 1

Jack is at his best against better opposition. When you are pinned deep he can pick up the ball and run the length of the pitch. It's priceless and could turn England from also rans to the real deal.

He's playing well against Wales and Ireland, but I can't wait to see him against a Belgium or france

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I don't get that. For an international manager, surely there's more to consider than just goals and assists? You also have to take into account the teams each player plays for. Jack was not going to hit 15 goals in that Villa side last season. He might just this year because he has better players around him. Surely it isn't rocket science for Southgate to work that out?

Doesn't always work like that. You can't just assume a high performing player from a weaker team will perform much better if he instead played for a stronger team. How many times have we seen a player like that get a big move to a top club and proceed to flop?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Doesn't always work like that. You can't just assume a high performing player from a weaker team will perform much better if he instead played for a stronger team.

True. You also can't assume he can't. My point is, you judge a player on how he plays, and take output stats into context. There are much better indicators of creativity that levels the playing field if you do want to go the stats route than just goals/assists. No surprise Jack performed superbly in those.

• Like 1

Â