The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Unnerved on the ball, carries it so well. Rarely gives away possession, draws fouls. All of this we've known for ages. Crazy to think he wasn't even at his best and still got motm.

Jack is exactly what England needed in that semi final vs Croatia, and what they'll need facing the better teams. 

Hope Southgate can bury whatever the problem is, and really start to integrate Jack into the first 11.

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Been saying for ages that playing style-wise he's the new George Best. But I've also thought for a long time that he'll end up being the next Beckham in the public consciousness: start with a bratty image, an uncool speaking voice and media sniffiness. End up as talismanic captain of England and a global icon. Probably with a pop star wife. 

Agree with all this but the Wife bit!  He is still with his Childhood sweetheart a model and I think she is the one that keeps him grounded.

I think he's the most naturally gifted player I've seen at Villa. Growing up I remember Paul Merson and Dwight Yorke were my heroes, both were gifted footballers, but I think he probably surpasses them. His application is also unbelievable, he trains ridiculously hard. No doubt he'll improve further in the next few years.

Personally I echo what people like Joe Cole have said about him before, in that he had the talent to be performing like this at 21/22 and should have been in the England team years ago. He's 25 now, but at age 18/19 it was clear as daylight he was a natural. Villa's demise as a club certainly didn't help him but he showed great loyalty to the club to be fair and hopefully in the coming years we'll build a team to complement his talents.

38 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Agree with all this but the Wife bit!  He is still with his Childhood sweetheart a model and I think she is the one that keeps him grounded.

It's all a show. He's just waiting to meet me. Marry me Jack!

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i reckon he is the best player i have ever seen play in a Villa shirt, if he does stay with Villa for the years to come, he will go down as a club legend/icon, what a pleasure it will be that all of us can say "we were there for every one of his Villa years"..........can imagine it.........."Daddy, you saw Jack Grealish play!?!"   :P

this guy will 100% need a statue if he stays Villa.

I'd love to see a compilation of every time he kills a 60 yard ball dead while running at speed. This compilation even missed a few things I was expecting like the Barnsley goal where he pirouettes, plays a 1-2, runs at speed while drifting around a defender, plays it out the wing then receives it back to finish. Sublime.

58 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I'm convinced that all 3 deflected goals were headed for the top or bottom corners anyway.

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

I'd love to see a compilation of every time he kills a 60 yard ball dead while running at speed. This compilation even missed a few things I was expecting like the Barnsley goal where he pirouettes, plays a 1-2, runs at speed while drifting around a defender, plays it out the wing then receives it back to finish. Sublime.

I'm convinced that all 3 deflected goals were headed for the top or bottom corners anyway.

I was looking at those goals too.

I think McGinns volley was heading for the opposite corner, but i think the keeper would have saved it.

Grealish's first goal i think looked like it was heading for the top corner, unsure if the keeper would have got to it or not.

Barkley's goal, unsure, no idea if that was heading for the top bin or not.

in an ideal world, even if you said none of them would have gone in, Watkins should have had 2 more on another day (the cross bar shot should really have been a goal, and the 1 on 1), would have still been 6-2 if the luck had evened out for our goals. (maybe 6-4 if we allow that Liverpool maybe should have scored an additional 2 with luck on their side).

either way, we beat them fair and square.

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

The world is finally woke. We all knew, they were just ignorant or jealous that they didnt want to believe. 

He just steals all the headlines and turns all the heads. What a start to the season he’s had. Everytime i turn on talksport or log on to Twitter, all the talk all the time is about Jack Grealish. Superstardom is coming his way and the more his profile grows, you have to imagine how much good its doing for our club. If we have a good season, there will be some big names wanting to come and play with Jack and AVFC. Exciting times, we’re acting like a massive club again and the juggernaut is moving again. The momentum we’re gaining here is something we havent seen in a long time.

It's a matter of time till you start seeing him in TV ads. 

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

There was a moment early on when DCL had the ball and needed to pull it back until the box not noone was there.  Jack had watched the play build up from outside the box and didn't move an inch when it looked like the ball might be on.  I dont know if it was ball watching or him not sprinting to avoid injury, but the same happened a few times to a lesser extent before he picked his play up. 

I must say I'd never noticed it in his play for villa, but it would definitely have been fair to criticise Jack's off the ball play last night. I put it down to conserving energy/avoiding injury in a friendly, but i wouldnt say he'll never be a great player off the ball.

This is actually spot on.

i remember thinking the exact same thing.

That "not passing quickly" thing is pissing me off.

Would people say the same thing about Messi too when skipping past 4-5 players instead of "passing it quickly"?

When you've got extraordinary gifted players you just have to give them that freedom to get the best out of them.

This quick passing project of Gareth isn't doing anything. He was lucky to have Jack to unlock the defence.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

His cross for Calvert-Lewin reminded me of Beckham. 

Exactly what I said at the time. Little shift of the ball to create the space then whip it in. I think it becomes easier because defenders are shit scared of getting to close for fear of getting embarrassed by some nifty foot work. 

Who said he doesn’t pass the ball quick enough? I heard it in commentary but on that particular moment it was correct because he had a runner and didn’t release it.  Jack is being spoken about a lot and he doesn’t play the perfect game. If every pundit just had a wank fest it would be a bit boring wouldn't it? 

Releasing the ball sooner is an area of his games he has massively improved upon. The fact some so called pundits are looking at areas he could improve is a compliment if anything.  They are acknowledging how good this player is and can be.  Any other England player getting spoken about as much?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Ok just read what Southgate said. He called him a matador! What more do fans want ? 😂 

I also agree with it being worrying how he draws fouls in by holding the ball a split second longer then needs to. As Villa fans we all shit ourselves whenever he gets clobbered. Sounds like the England manager gets worried too.  

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i reckon he is the best player i have ever seen play in a Villa shirt, if he does stay with Villa for the years to come, he will go down as a club legend/icon, what a pleasure it will be that all of us can say "we were there for every one of his Villa years"..........can imagine it.........."Daddy, you saw Jack Grealish play!?!"   :P

this guy will 100% need a statue if he stays Villa.

I’ve seen hundreds of compilation videos over the years, but I rarely watch one the whole way through. However this one, I couldn’t take my eyes off it. We always knew Jack was an outstanding talent, but to see him now in the Premier League doing what he did to championship defenders to the best defenders in the world, is sooo good to see. He’s really is a generational talent like no other, he loves Villa, and he’s all ours! Makes you feel nice doesn’t it?

2 hours ago, blunther said:

It's all a show. He's just waiting to meet me. Marry me Jack!

Blunther and Jackie
Sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G!
First comes love
Then comes marriage
Then comes baby
In a baby carriage!

• Haha 1

On 05/07/2010 at 21:02, Mr_Dogg said:

A 14 year old has more technical ability than Adam Johnson?

I await this Messi/Van Basten/Xavi hybrid.

This remains my favourite post on VillaTalk, every week watching this Messi/Van Basten/Xavi hybrid.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Â