The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

We just need to enjoy him whilst he's here. Very few on here thought he'd be playing this well at this level consistently. He's really starting to distinguish himself as one of the best players in his position in the division. Very few can carry the ball like he does, have the confidence to play like he does but also combine that with genuine output. Grealish has elevated his output to levels not seen before in his career which is insane given he has spent a good chunk of his career at a lower level. He's really coming of age as a player.

The bad news is that I really just don't see how he will stay here beyond this season. It's not a question of staying up, even if we do there will be some real 'elite' clubs knocking on the door looking to sign him and I can't see how we'll be able to hold onto him. I'm actually half worried about him this window but I think we'll be able to keep hold of him for now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If we survive this season, in theory we have the budget to give Grealish the teammates he deserves over the next couple of transfer windows (as well as the wages he deserves).

If it's Liverpool / Man City / Barcelona coming in then fair enough. But I keep seeing Man Utd and Arsenal, which would be no guarantee of silverware, constant merry-go-round of managers, and high risk of getting bombed out or misused. Are they really that much more appealing than a well-funded Villa?

Nobody is saying that a well funded Villa can't push on or hold onto our top players. The problem is your talking about if, buts and maybe's as far as we are concerned as a club. You have to consider the time it will take to reestablish us in the PL and the trajectory of the player. The fact that a player like Jack would be the difference between CL football and Europa for the likes of Utd etc. You put him in either Utd or Arsenals teams at the moment and they definitely go up a level. That in itself is worth a 100m fee to those clubs. That's not saying he should go but that it is more likely inevitable, sooner rather than later. It isn't impossible that the top clubs in Europe start to notice him more. 

I'm not dismissing us as a club, merely stating that Grealish is moving into the realms of elite PL player now.  His own career and will to play with the best players of his generation will factor in at some point imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Imagine if we had him 10 years ago with the pace of Young, Gabby etc 😭

Would have almost certainly made the top 4 and probably a trophy or two to go with it.

It's been said a few times, but yeah. In some ways it might be the worst time in decades for us to have had such an incredible player come through. On the other hand, imagine where we might have been in the last few years without him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Nobody is saying that a well funded Villa can't push on or hold onto our top players. The problem is your talking about if, buts and maybe's as far as we are concerned as a club. You have to consider the time it will take to reestablish us in the PL and the trajectory of the player. The fact that a player like Jack would be the difference between CL football and Europa for the likes of Utd etc. You put him in either Utd or Arsenals teams at the moment and they definitely go up a level. That in itself is worth a 100m fee to those clubs. That's not saying he should go but that it is more likely inevitable, sooner rather than later. It isn't impossible that the top clubs in Europe start to notice him more. 

I'm not dismissing us as a club, merely stating that Grealish is moving into the realms of elite PL player now.  His own career and will to play with the best players of his generation will factor in at some point imo. 

Fair points, and as you say, it's all hypothetical at the moment.

My sense is that Utd and Arsenal are just badly run clubs, and adding another quality player to either of their squads won't necessarily take them up a level. I hope if Jack does leave Villa it is for a club which treats players as footballing projects and not marketing assets.

Barca were in the hunt last time before he settled on Spurs. Leicester switched to Maddison Jack would only go for CL football, stop thinking about dross like Arsenal & united and it’s different now if we continue to invest to become a CL club purse he may well stay. His love for us is well known he would ideally like to achieve it all with us

27 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I think it'll be man U.

funnily enough, Manure arent even one of the best 4 sides any more!, lol.

i think he would suit Liverpool and how they are managed/play currently (however much i wouldnt want to see him go).

I think if we stay up he will stay with us for another season. We won't have to purchase so many players next year so we can go and buy 4 or 5 quality players to help him out and really drive us on.

I also just can't see any team matching our valuation of him if we do stay up. How much is he worth to this team? 100m? More? We aren't going to find another Jack Grealish that's for sure. 

I said the same thing when he was rumoured to go to Spurs and people were saying he's only worth £20-30m. Imagine if we had have sold him then? Where would we be now? He's so integral to us, our valuation of him must be astronomical. 

If Palace can hold out for £80m for Zaha then we can hold out for silly money too as (I think) Jack has 3 years left on his contract in the summer. Plus fees get inflated every summer (Maguire etc). I only see him leaving this summer if we go down as he's too important to us right now whilst we're trying to re-establish ourselves in the league.

I find the rival fan comments about him diving still laughable, gets battered every game, then you add in that European and international football is usually softer, he'd win an incredible number of fouls for England 

The only other player I've seen targeted for kicking like him is messi, tarkowski hit him with a clever dirty cynical foul today, nicked him with his right foot committing a soft foul but then cleaned with out with a left leg follow through which was a lot worse than the initial foul, got away with just a free kick 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I find the rival fan comments about him diving still laughable, gets battered every game, then you add in that European and international football is usually softer, he'd win an incredible number of fouls for England 

The only other player I've seen targeted for kicking like him is messi, tarkowski hit him with a clever dirty cynical foul today, nicked him with his right foot committing a soft foul but then cleaned with out with a left leg follow through which was a lot worse than the initial foul, got away with just a free kick 

I've noticed there are a lot fewer comments like this now.

When I see them it mostly seems to be Birmingham/West Brom/Wolves fans. Also Leicester fans as they have a bee in their bonnet about people saying he's better than Maddison. I've been saying it since Maddison went to Leicester to people who had barely watched either play. Both are fantastic though and should be in the England squad ahead of Mount, Barkley, Alli etc. 

Fans of the 'bigger clubs' are starting to absolutely rave about him as there is no bitterness there and they seem to think they can swoop in during January and take him off our hands no problem.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've noticed there are a lot fewer comments like this now.

When I see them it mostly seems to be Birmingham/West Brom/Wolves fans. Also Leicester fans as they have a bee in their bonnet about people saying he's better than Maddison. I've been saying it since Maddison went to Leicester to people who had barely watched either play. Both are fantastic though and should be in the England squad ahead of Mount, Barkley, Alli etc. 

Fans of the 'bigger clubs' are starting to absolutely rave about him as there is no bitterness there and they seem to think they can swoop in during January and take him off our hands no problem.

Yep, most negative comments are from Blues or Albion, and then Leicester fans who hate him because they think Madison is better (I love Madison, I think Jack offers more).

Oh and of course Leeds fans licking their comments into windows about Jack.

He is the best attacking player I've seen at villa in 30 years. I added attacking because of God. 

There have been better goal scorers, better midfielders, but grealish transcends positions.

I know he will leave, but I want him in  the England team before he does. 

Â