The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Not really the point of your post, but nice to know he's admitting how little real thought he gives to his team. He's a talentless hack.

Winning team, scored a goal? You're good enough for Garth's team of the week. Can't stand the bloke.

Agree, take him with a pinch of salt. The bigger picture is if the PL thought they could get away with a token we support the ref comment they are wrong. The media have picked this up as it highlights the inadequaties of VAR and it use to support referees in correct decision making, not support them no matter what. Is Mr Friend that insecure that he can't admit he got it wrong?

• Like 1

I’d maybe think about taking the captaincy off Jack short term, let him get over the the weekends disappointment, the disappointment of being left out of the England squad, and let him have a bit of weight of his shoulders and get him back to top form then give it back to him? 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I didn't watch the game live apart from the first 15 minutes and the last 5 minutes. I've watched the game again and Grealish was the best player on the pitch. He was the only one of our players trying to make something happen. Such a travesty his great run in the end has not ended up as an assist. 

He was. Sometimes doesn’t get the credit he deserves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was. Sometimes doesn’t get the credit he deserves. 

Yup, gets too harshly treated at times. Even by our own fans. Must've been about 4 or 5 times he was fouled with nothing given. 

• Like 1

You can guarantee he wouldn’t have got booked for diving and Mcarthur and Milojevic wouldn’t have got away with countless fouls and leaving a bit on him late first half with no hint of a booking if he played for Man City.

Hopefully after this fiasco the refs will pay more attention.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2019 at 17:01, Farlz said:

EC-JJkCXsAI9F81?format=jpg&name=small

A picture which perfectly sums up how much of an influence Jack is. The way he draws opponents onto him and creates space for teammates is second to none and a big reason McGinn is able to flourish next to him. 

I think you make a decent point.....but equally when do we press in a group like that....there is always gaps in our play, waiting for the ball like we are here, where's the close support?.....I know the point you are making, but you may have inadvertently highlighted another.

That's pressing......and a No 7 & No 10 doing it.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think you make a decent point.....but equally when do we press in a group like that....there is always gaps in our play, waiting for the ball like we are here, where's the close support?.....I know the point you are making, but you may have inadvertently highlighted another.

That's pressing......and a No 7 & No 10 doing it.

Not sure about this take. There's an easy ball to Douglas on, who then has an unmarked Taylor or Trez to release it to. They're pressing him in the middle of the pitch when he has the ball under control, so although he looks under a lot of pressure, he's messed up their shape, and should get the ball away (would be interesting to know what happened here in reality?).

When Liverpool (the best team at pressing) hunt in packs like this, it's usually higher up the pitch when they want to put someone under pressure in a weaker position.

What it does highlight, though, is how important it is to have several threats in midfield. Teams probably feel that losing their shape is a small price to pay to stop Grealish from driving at them, and because the players they're leaving unmarked are people like Neil Taylor, it's a risk worth taking. As we strengthen our squad, we should see less of this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hobbit Feet said:

I’d maybe think about taking the captaincy off Jack short term, let him get over the the weekends disappointment,

Yes, I am sure that would make him feel so much better, motivated and feel the manager has faith in him. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

In all the discussion around his booking for diving has anyone mentioned Ayew's dive in the first half? 

That was actually an appeal. No yellow. 

What dive? You're not talking about when Luiz clattered him? 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

What dive? You're not talking about when Luiz clattered him? 

That's the one. IIRC, Ayew was appealing for a penalty.

No yellow given despite the unsuccessful appeal. Not so for Jack who didn't appeal and got up immediately.

It boils my piss that Grealish has this reputation for diving.  He is constantly targeted, frequently bundled over and despite being the most acknowledged fouled players he is still not given tons of free kicks he should. 

Take the Palace incident. Called as a dive. 

The ref has to surely ask himself why did Grealish play the ball wide if he's diving? If you dive you angle straight in with the ball at your feet or knocked forward into space, you don't lay it wide to a teammate. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Was watching the north London derby yesterday and dele Alli was racing though on goal, knocked the ball past the last defender then flung himself on the ground. No free kick given and no yellow card to dele Alli. The commentators reasoning was he didn't look to the referee to give a foul therefore it wasn't simulation.

If that logic had been applied to the grealish situation then even if he had dived (he didn't) then the fact he didn't appeal should have warranted the play continuing.

Refs have to understand that sometimes players go to ground to avoid contact and getting hurt, or that the pace at which they run and manipulate the ball means that the smallest touch is enough to make them fall. It doesn't always mean that they are faking it to win a free kick

• Like 1

19 hours ago, a m ole said:

He was passing the ball with his right foot and had his standing leg taken from under him at thigh height, what you’re calling a sniper shot I’d call avoiding injury.

Nar it's his upper body. When you watch it back he flicks his upper body with that going down flick. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending friend. It's an awful decision. But he does the divers flip at the last second. Instead of looking at all the other normal reasons to play on and the goal stand, friend has focused on that.

The stupid thing is that if he got a hair cut and wore bigger shin pads then it probably would make a difference to the way he is perceived.  It should have nothing to do with it but hopefully what happened on Saturday will put pressure on refs to treat him more fairly. 

Â