The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

15 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I reckon Grealish got that one right. 

Trez made the run but realised any ball played to him would need to be lobbed over the defender, giving them time to cover. So he changed his run, crossing over to the other side. Grealish saw what was on and drove towards the central defender, drawing him in. 

That gave Trez a chance to take the pass to feet, which Grealish delivered perfectly. 

Just the finish was off. The build up was great. 

4:00 mark square ball when Trez reaches edge of centre circle turns last defender and Trez running at pace although would need to be perfect ball

14 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not angry about dispossession but could've put Trez away with early pass daylight and Lloris between goal instead holds on too long and chance goes begging 

Yeah my friends disagreed with me but I must admit I thought the same as you.

Fantastic run, and not necessarily a bad final ball (I think Trez could have done much better with it when he did get it). But certainly my first reaction was that an earlier ball would have been better.

Yeah, Grealish could have made that pass. It would have to had been a genuine worldie. Outside of the foot round the goal side of the last man.

But he's good enough to make it, and there's the curse of being him, people expect wonder balls others wouldn't even see.

He's going to have a huge season I think.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

Jack will have a good season but I think it will take him a few games to get into his rythym, hopefully he wont dwell on not getting rid of the ball on sat in the lead up to the second goal. Saturday will be a better game for him and the team to show what they can do in the Prem.

It was great defending from Winks, he stayed close to Trezeguet, putting him in a great position to cut out a pass forcing Trez to change his run. I mean I guess Jack could have played the ball just inside him, but Trez would still have a lot to do to get into the box and finish.

Waiting that split second to allow Trezeguet to change his run allowed him to pick out a better pass. Winks was so far away he could set himself with 1 touch and take a shot. It was the better pass imo.

The angle for an early pass was closed down between Jack's first touch and his third, was never really on, and a lofted ball would give defense time to intercept or at least contest.

Thought both players did well in that scenario considering Spurs defensive efforts. The change of run and space created to get a shot off couldn't of been much better.

Only criticism would be for Trezeguet and that would be that his cutback was not done with much conviction and didn't set up his shot well enough to execute effectively.

I know he was being closed down by a double team as soon as he got the chance to shift it so that he could take it with his right foot. But at this level you've got to be crafty.

Just look at the way McGinn took his goal, full pace, yet poised and composed, sells the fake, defender goes bye-bye, has the power and accuracy to rifle beyond Lloris.

Maybe Trezeguet attacks the left side of the area toward the six yard box and tries to fire one in on his left, would have got the power behind it to beat the keeper at least.

But to be fair to both of them, it was a transition play of 4 touches box-to-box and a counter attack which ended with a shot on goal from inside the box. Can't be too critical.

Add to that Spurs had the numbers getting back and Grealish went to ground after his pass, limiting options for any further build up.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 04:15, Kiwivillan said:

4:00 mark square ball when Trez reaches edge of centre circle turns last defender and Trez running at pace although would need to be perfect ball

Trez slowed his run. He was maybe three steps away from Jack being able to put him through but he decided to switch sides of the defender. Don’t think Jack could’ve done much different

Edited by HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Trez slowed his run. He was maybe three steps away from Jack being able to put him through but he decided to switch sides of the defender. Don’t think Jack could’ve done much different

I know. I'm being captain hindsight a little bit. Was excited watching replay

I don't think Grealish will be our stand out player this season.

I'm debating myself as to whether he will be one of our top 3 stand out players.

Will be interesting to see one way or the other.

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I don't think Grealish will be our stand out player this season.

I'm debating myself as to whether he will be one of our top 3 stand out players.

Will be interesting to see one way or the other.

Curious for you to elaborate on why?

I'd put him top of the list among McGinn, Heaton and Mings to be most influential at this stage.

17 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Curious for you to elaborate on why?

I'd put him top of the list among McGinn, Heaton and Mings to be most influential at this stage.

Dunno, just a feeling, he's more than capable of being our best and most in influential player this season, but im just not sure he will be?, would love it if he was?, but dunno.

With all the new signings, i think there are a few players who might step up to the plate and be instrumental for us if we stay up.

I know its a sample source of 1, but in the 1 game so far, i would say Heaton, Mings, Engels and possibly McGinn and Hassan came out of the first game with the most praise for me.

Who knows how the rest of the season goes, but i can see Heaton being right up there, also Mings or Engels might be critical performers that we may look back on and say were top performers (if they perform consistently), then you obviously have McGinn who could push for that tag if he performs, and even after that we have some leftfield players who may or may not become a critical part of our season, like Hassan or Douglas Luiz, or blimey.......maybe Wesley if he steps up?

I suppose all im saying, or intimating, is where last season Grealish was (apart from McGinn/Mings) our clear stand out performer and head and shoulders above pretty much the whole team in terms of ability and what he offers, i just feel with some of the players still here, added to the new signings, if Grealish doesnt perform 100% that there are also other players who may (if they step up) actually may have more impact on the season for us.

Who knows, i hope Grealish does step up, and perform week in, week out and show his class at Prem level, all im saying is that there are a few others in the squad now capable over this single season of proving themselves just as important........we will have to see wont we?

If Grealish has a good season, and we are then saying later on that 2/3/4 or however many other players were actually more important for us during this season, then that would be a massive positive, as it would mean some of our new signings, or some of the players who were here form last season really stepped up to the plate and did a stellar job.

Lets hope its that way round rather than the other :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Dunno, just a feeling, he's more than capable of being our best and most in influential player this season, but im just not sure he will be?, would love it if he was?, but dunno.

With all the new signings, i think there are a few players who might step up to the plate and be instrumental for us if we stay up.

I know its a sample source of 1, but in the 1 game so far, i would say Heaton, Mings, Engels and possibly McGinn and Hassan came out of the first game with the most praise for me.

Who knows how the rest of the season goes, but i can see Heaton being right up there, also Mings or Engels might be critical performers that we may look back on and say were top performers (if they perform consistently), then you obviously have McGinn who could push for that tag if he performs, and even after that we have some leftfield players who may or may not become a critical part of our season, like Hassan or Douglas Luiz, or blimey.......maybe Wesley if he steps up?

I suppose all im saying, or intimating, is where last season Grealish was (apart from McGinn/Mings) our clear stand out performer and head and shoulders above pretty much the whole team in terms of ability and what he offers, i just feel with some of the players still here, added to the new signings, if Grealish doesnt perform 100% that there are also other players who may (if they step up) actually may have more impact on the season for us.

Who knows, i hope Grealish does step up, and perform week in, week out and show his class at Prem level, all im saying is that there are a few others in the squad now capable over this single season of proving themselves just as important........we will have to see wont we?

If Grealish has a good season, and we are then saying later on that 2/3/4 or however many other players were actually more important for us during this season, then that would be a massive positive, as it would mean some of our new signings, or some of the players who were here form last season really stepped up to the plate and did a stellar job.

Lets hope its that way round rather than the other :P

Agree we have others who will carry the load at various times and pull their weight, as well as some exciting unknowns yet to prove themselves within the club.

I don't want to cast doubt over our campaign as it's early days but we will need players to match Grealish's standards of last season if we are to succeed in the PL.

Probably more than 3 or 4 players too. We can't rely purely on having a good coach, we could have a tactical mastermind but without the ability to execute we'll be hot air.

Think more or less all our signings bar one or two will have to show PL quality, and as soon as possible, if we are to ensure safety before it goes down to the wire.

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Agree we have others who will carry the load at various times and pull their weight, as well as some exciting unknowns yet to prove themselves within the club.

I don't want to cast doubt over our campaign as it's early days but we will need players to match Grealish's standards of last season if we are to succeed in the PL.

Probably more than 3 or 4 players too. We can't rely purely on having a good coach, we could have a tactical mastermind but without the ability to execute we'll be hot air.

Think more or less all our signings bar one or two will have to show PL quality, and as soon as possible, if we are to ensure safety before it goes down to the wire.

Yeah agreed, which is why 3 or 4 (or more) operating at or above Jack's level in terms of importance to the team etc, would actually be massively positive as it would mean some of our players are performing well at Prem level  which is kinda what we want and need tbh.....

• Like 1

Watched that Grealish and Trez vid a few times. It's fantastic recovery defending by Spurs.

Can't really fault the movement or decision making from either of our players.

It's just really hard to score a goal like that, breaking over such a long distance. Most centre backs are rapid over a long sprint, and unless you're Gareth Bale, they're always going to make up the ground on a player running with the ball.

• Like 1

Â