The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

absolutely nails it about him drawing players in, no stat for it but I genuinely don't think I've ever seen certainly a villa player like it, maybe even an English player like it

When people ask me who he plays like...the reason it's so hard is because the players he's similar to are the world's elite.

David Silva and Modric are two he always reminds me of in possession. Madness. Wijnaldum a lot recently as well with his play around opposition areas, pops up in all sorts of dangerous spots. He's not the same as any of them though, he's got his own slightly deep yet attacking roving role that draws everyone in toward him.

Always feels a bit silly to say those names, but that's the level he can achieve for me. Be so pleased for him, and Villa overall, if he can dominate for us next year. 

• Like 1

Someone at work today asked me how good he is. I said I can't compare him to any English player because no English player plays like him. I genuinely think there are better goal scoring / tackling midfielders than him, but he does something that the others can't do. I think that England (I'm an Ireland fan) will be a much better team with him in. 

Hes a continental player with a beautiful brummie accent. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Someone at work today asked me how good he is. I said I can't compare him to any English player because no English player plays like him. I genuinely think there are better goal scoring / tackling midfielders than him, but he does something that the others can't do. I think that England (I'm an Ireland fan) will be a much better team with him in. 

Grealish is the most similar English player in style of play, touch and how he carries the ball to Rui Costa than ive seen. Said that about 18 months ago . Major asset for England if he plays well in the premier league and gets picked ( i too am Irish so say that with a hint of envy )

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake
  • Like 1

At least everyone's going to find out how good he is and he'll stop being so grossly underrated (hope he doesn't get that English hype though). 

It helps that we aren't in a league with a bunch of small time jealous fans that will just hate him for the sake of it (might still happen, mind).

He was decent back in his last premier league spell but he has transcended to a whole new level in the past 3 seasons, especially this most recent one. I can't wait to see if he can make a mockery of established premier league players with his dribbling the same way he did to championship players

Edited by JohnStortford

11 minutes ago, JohnStortford said:

He was decent back in his last premier league spell but he has transcended to a whole new level in the past 3 seasons, I can't wait to see if he can make a mockery of established premier league players with his dribbling the same way he did to championship players

I was sat in the Witton Lane stand 4 or 5 years ago when he put some experienced Everton player on his arse with a deft pullback when he tried to tackle Jack, who literally paused and had a giggle (I mean literally hand to mouth giggle) before playing on. 

It was an early example of how Jack makes the game look easy with liquid play with some added youthful arrogance. 

He's now more skilful and the boyhood arrogance has morphed into self belief and responsibility. 

I forsee more experienced Premier League players trailing in his wake this year, it's just a question of if those players are in Sky Blue this year or next year when he finds his feet more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was sat in the Witton Lane stand 4 or 5 years ago when he put some experienced Everton player on his arse with a deft pullback when he tried to tackle Jack, who literally paused and had a giggle (I mean literally hand to mouth giggle) before playing on. 

It was an early example of how Jack makes the game look easy with liquid play with some added youthful arrogance. 

He's now more skilful and the boyhood arrogance has morphed into self belief and responsibility. 

I forsee more experienced Premier League players trailing in his wake this year, it's just a question of if those players are in Sky Blue this year or next year when he finds his feet more. 

I remember that, wasn't it James McCarthy?

I'm gonna say this now and will take the ridicule if need be lol...... I personally think and have told many people that Jack Grealish is the most majestic English AM we have had in years and probably since Gascoigne. This season is going to prove that point when he walks his childhood club out as captain at the ripe old age of 23-24 and becomes the most fouled player in the premier league. And then when he makes his debut for England and looks like he was born for international football the naysayers are all gonna eat shit. This season he will take the proverbial imo, even if we struggle I think he is going to shine. He is just one of those players that doesn't need to try to make things look easy and smooth. 

I'm so happy he's leading us into the premier League, he needed it and so did we . It's a dream come true. Wouldn bet on him breaking into the England squad and becoming the most sort after English player this time next year . Wonder what the odds are he will finish the most fouled player in the premier League?

Hard to believe that a certain Daniel Crowley was believed to be the better player just before he jumped shipped to Arsenal for the price of a semi detached house. 

7 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I think Jack could be England's next Paul Gascoigne but without wasting his talent. Gazza scored 10 goals in 57 appearances for England, Jack could easily equal or better that but, more importantly, he would get the ball and take it forward and drawer the attention from the opposition to create space for others and, like you say, there's nobody else in the current England squad doing that. 

9 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Yeah you can compare what he does individually to other players, some areas he is better and some worse.

But I also agree that the way he carries and retains the ball is different to any English player I can think of, more like a Spanish type player tbh.

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

absolutely nails it about him drawing players in, no stat for it but I genuinely don't think I've ever seen certainly a villa player like it, maybe even an English player like it

will be interesting to see if the better quality PL opponents do the same (hull and stoke did 1st time round)

100%

It's exactly the kind of thing that you can't really explain to those people who say "well he can't be that good he's only got x goals and y assists!"

You have to watch him.

• Like 1

I agree that we might have better players playing for England. But we don't have ANYONE anywhere near the England team who plays the game like Jack.

Really think this is going to be his breakout season.

Â