What would you be happy with?

theunderstudy

What type of signing?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What type of signing?

• Experienced
    • Promising

I dont care as long as they are better than what we have.

I believe the latest way to up your post count is to say "This.". I think that would be appropriate here.

Doesn't matter their name or nationality. Just win us something.

Who would I be happy with? ........anyone other than my missus I guess (Only joking darling!!)

I know who I would be happier without ....Played in the World Cup for England, falls over a lot, doesn`t score, offers nothing for us(home or way) and his surname rhymes with Pesky

I dont care as long as they are better than what we have.

I believe the latest way to up your post count is to say "This.". I think that would be appropriate here.

Doesn't matter their name or nationality. Just win us something.

This

To be consistent with something I've just posted in the "are you falling out of love with football?" thread, I'd have to say "promising". On the whole we've had greater success over the past 3 years, with up & coming youngsters, either bought in or coming through the youth system, than with buying "experienced" players like Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Shorey, Harewood, Heskey, etc.

Obviously there are some exceptions - nothing would persuade me to part with Dunne and Collins. But, by and large, bring on the younger players!

BTW, regarding Gringo's comment above^^^, I hadn't spotted we had become

the sort of club that sells our best players

Here's my best-guess list of the players we've sold/released to another club since 2007

Gareth Barry

Stuart Taylor

Sam Williams

Zat Knight

Craig Gardner

Stephen O'Halloran

Thomas Sorensen

Olof Mellberg

Shaun Maloney

Wayne Routledge

Lee Hendrie

Liam Ridgewell

Gary Cahill

Luke Moore

Eric Djemba-Djemba

Tobias Mikaelsson

Zoltan Stieber

Patrik Berger

Jamie Ward

Mathieu Berson

Kevin Phillips

Ulises De la Cruz

Pete Whittingham

Milan Baros

Paul Green

Juan Pablo Angel

Jlloyd Samuel

Stephen Henderson

Aaron Hughes

Robert Olejnik

Steve Davis

Is that really a list of our best players over the period?

I really think it's time to bring in a few promising players because I can't see us breaking the top 4 any time in the next 2/3 years, so really we need to just build up a side, hopefully in 4/5/6 years that can compete for the top 4 spot and at least buying young, we can sell them for decent money too even if they don't produce. For example if we bought Clyne for around £1.5 million, even if in training O'Neill thought he didn't have what it takes, we could sell him for a similar price or maybe even more in future years.

That said, experience in a few positions like upfront where we still have Gabby, Fonz as youngsters is needed just so we can compete in the future years for around a top 6 finish.

I really think it's time to bring in a few promising players because I can't see us breaking the top 4 any time in the next 2/3 years, so really we need to just build up a side, hopefully in 4/5/6 years that can compete for the top 4 spot and at least buying young, we can sell them for decent money too even if they don't produce. For example if we bought Clyne for around £1.5 million, even if in training O'Neill thought he didn't have what it takes, we could sell him for a similar price or maybe even more in future years.

That said, experience in a few positions like upfront where we still have Gabby, Fonz as youngsters is needed just so we can compete in the future years for around a top 6 finish.

Who would I be happy with? ........anyone other than my missus I guess (Only joking darling!!)

I know who I would be happier without ....Played in the World Cup for England, falls over a lot, doesn`t score, offers nothing for us(home or way) and his surname rhymes with Pesky

-----------------------

Oh come on, Paul Koncheskey isn't that bad!! ;)

Now that we're the sort of club that sells our best players, we need to get in some youngsters to fatten them up for selling on in 2-3 years time.

On that basis then every club other than Real Madrid should adopt the same attitude.

Being hounded into selling one of your top players each summer isn't a sign that you're a feeder club! It's a sign that you're competing.

So negative always.