Is Wayne Rooney overrated?

Zatman

Is he overrated  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is he overrated

• Yes
    • No

I can't think of another player in World football I'd rather have in my team. Yes he had a bad World Cup, but Messi, Ronaldo and Torres have not done anything either. You can try and mark Messi out of a game because he doesn't move.. try and mark Rooney out of a game? Well, you'll have to be very fit and you'll be leaving a whole in your team when you follow him all over the pitch.

People are very quick to slam a player as over-rated over 4 poor games, even though he had a great World Cup. People are also just as quick to name Ozil or similar the new messiah after 2 or 3 good games.

Messi has been brilliant in this world cup even if he hasnt scored creating goals for teamamates and unlucky as 2 goalkeepers were in inspiring form against him and had games of their lives.

Difference between Rooney and Messi. Even when not scorign he is causing trouble for opposition team

I liked him better back in his granny shagging days, some of the goals he used to score, he was explosive, now he just scores tap-ins and headers. He seems to have lost that dynamism, might score more but compare him to the Rooney that was tearing teams apart in Euro 2004, that's the sort of player we could have done with this summer.

Rooney's game continues to develop, but he has turned himself into a real no.9 - you saw that last season with the amount of goals he scored, particularly with his head. This is now his position and, IMO, I haven't seen anyone in the Premier League that is better than him at this. Bizarrely, clueless Capello choses to play him as the link midfielder/second striker and he doesn't perform. Odd that!!

Messi has a manager who understands him and sets his team up around him telling him that he has complete freedom to do what he wants and go where he wants on the pitch. This may be a function of him being a former player who played the same way but is what Capello should have done for us - played the best players where they had played all season and if this means dropping some of the big egos who can't be accommodated, like Fat Frank, then so be it! If Gerard had been playing off Rooney we would still have been in the tournament IMO.

Many of the worlds so called top players haven't performed at this would cup, although Massi has been alright, buy his standard he's been poor. Rooney and Ronaldo were both poor, and none of them were played in the roll they play for there club. The only so called top 10 player so far to turn up is David Villa. Pretty much all Europe's top players look burnt out, maybe its the schedule, maybe its the altitude i dont know. I expect a South American 3 team semis and a Brazil v Argentina final.

Just saying Rooney isn't world class or top quality is just a little narrow minded i think.

But he was a word removed for saying what he said against Algeria.

I hear a rumour that he may have something on his mind during the World Cup that could explain his performances. But only a rumour so I won't mention it here. :P

Come on...out with it!

Sorry can't libel issue and all. :P

All the players you have mentioned have been a lot better than Rooney (bar maybe Torres who has rushed back from a knee operation).

Fair enough Rooney may be injured and not recovered but that is just how I see it.

Hold on...

So Torres has just come back from an injury and has been horrific but it's used as an excuse to why he's playing badly?

Rooney is obviously carrying an injury and suddenly he's poorer then everyone else???

I'm sorry, but carrying an injury is worse then coming back from one.

I've not said that though?

Rooney has been poor. That is what I am saying. Whether he has an injury and that is the reason then I don't know. I was just pointing out he was bad, like Torres.

Many of the worlds so called top players haven't performed at this would cup, although Massi has been alright, buy his standard he's been poor. Rooney and Ronaldo were both poor, and none of them were played in the roll they play for there club. The only so called top 10 player so far to turn up is David Villa. Pretty much all Europe's top players look burnt out, maybe its the schedule, maybe its the altitude i dont know. I expect a South American 3 team semis and a Brazil v Argentina final.

Just saying Rooney isn't world class or top quality is just a little narrow minded i think.

But he was a word removed for saying what he said against Algeria.

Messi has been fantastic, especially when you consider he has had three players on him every time he has touched the ball.

I liked him better back in his granny shagging days

Without wishing to get anyone into bother, and without any relation to this thread or this player, footballers in general, are rather like leopards. You have to say that its rare leopards change their spots. In this regard, the NOTW has always been a paper that likes to "scoop" personal issues of players. However unlike the daily heil, they prefer to dish the dirt after the WC, (not before aka Triesman) so that they can't be "blamed" for ruining englands chances.

Spotty leopards often know whats coming, being sensitive animals that they are. This sometimes might make them hunt in a distracted way, failing to catch anything before returning to the nest, where Mrs Spotty Leopard may be quite angry.

I suspect there is a spotty leopard now back in captivity in a northern zoo which wishes it could be unspotted at this time.

So a rumour from a low level journo at the Times who has a friend who works in insurance, who sits opposite me says anyway. Anyway, all friend of a friend of the grannies brothers haridressers sisters second cousin can be disregarded, can't they?

Without wishing to get anyone into bother, and without any relation to this thread or this player, footballers in general, are rather like leopards. You have to say that its rare leopards change their spots. In this regard, the NOTW has always been a paper that likes to "scoop" personal issues of players. However unlike the daily heil, they prefer to dish the dirt after the WC, (not before aka Triesman) so that they can't be "blamed" for ruining englands chances.

Spotty leopards often know whats coming, being sensitive animals that they are. This sometimes might make them hunt in a distracted way, failing to catch anything before returning to the nest, where Mrs Spotty Leopard may be quite angry.

I suspect there is a spotty leopard now back in captivity in a northern zoo which wishes it could be unspotted at this time.

So a rumour from a low level journo at the Times who has a friend who works in insurance, who sits opposite me says anyway. Anyway, all friend of a friend of the grannies brothers haridressers sisters second cousin can be disregarded, can't they?

:crylaugh:

Almost as funny as Oaks' spelling ;-)

I think Messi has been brilliant so far. Very unlucky not to score involved in nearly all of the Argies goals and best play.

And the only man to be consitantly going by players with poor skill. I honestly wonder at times what people think when they watch these games.

:crylaugh:

Almost as funny as Oaks' spelling ;-)

Hey............. oh right...............there is nothing more funny than my spelling.

I think Rooney is a brilliant player. The likes of which we can only ever dream of seeing in a Villa shirt.

He had a poor World Cup, however I would put money on it that he will bounce right back in the PL. He is a quality player and has so much to offer. He just seemed very out of sorts during the World Cup, for some strange reason.

In my opinion there is no need for the Messi comparisons. No player in the world is as good as Messi....

In my opinion there is no need for the Messi comparisons. No player in the world is as good as Messi....

Aye, it's like comparing Goodfellas to My Blue Heaven. :wink:

Perhaps he was alright but then again, was Sir Alex in the camp at the time, is he Wayne Rooney? How does he know exactly how Rooney was?

Most Overated? Your having a laugh. One of the finest footballers in the world, just because he had a poor World Cup LIKE MANY other stars doesn't mean he's a bad player.

It's hard to even take you serious if I'm honest with some of the shit that's you've said on here, Delfouneso better than Drogba in 2 years, Bent better than Rooney etc....

You even post things like Bent is better because he's a goalscorer yet Rooney scored more than him last year, does a helluva lot more for the team than Bent, has alot more pressure than Bent and is playing against players who constantly raise their game just to play against him.

I honestly reckon you should take time out of your life to watch Rooney for United. INFACT, DID YOU NOT SEE HIM AT VILLA PARK!?!?!? 10 Men the whole game, the way he manvoured Collins and Dunne, stretched them, held the ball up for his team, or his goal against us in the Carling Cup final, a fantastic header. Or his 2 goals vs AC Milan, his performance vs Arsenal at Emirates who did you somehow miss these games?

I can't believe I still say it, an absolute football beginner could acknowledge Wayne Rooney is a better player than Darren Bent if you actually watched them.

It seems to me, you simply don't like Wayne Rooney and like Darren Bent. That somehow doesn't make him better. Your hatred of a player is overseeing the actual ability of a player.

Â