Is he overrated  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Is he overrated

• Yes
    • No

Oezil

Ozil

Friends! Countrymen! Alt+1,5,3 = Ö. Save the Umlaut people! :D

Excellent player? Yes. Overrated? Well, the media hype most players out of all sensible proportion, especially in this country. I'm still inclined to say he is slightly overrated though; needs to replicate club form at international level before being moved into the pantheon of the truly world class.

I don't think he is over-rated. And while he is not quite world class yet, I think he is quite clearly in the 'will be world class in a year or 2' category. And he's only 21 !! He reminds me of Iniesta's goal threat with a hint of Xavi's vision. These kind of players are like hens' teeth. I see Barça* are sniffing around him now !! Where the hell they'd put him I don't know.

* - save the cedilla :D

:lol: You'll get special dispensation for laptops (but bonus points if you use "Oe" in lieu of the ASCII code).

Who decides these rules!

It was either itv Or BBC but one of the 2 used oe in the team line up presentation, that's quite poor really.

I don't think he is over-rated. And while he is not quite world class yet, I think he is quite clearly in the 'will be world class in a year or 2' category. And he's only 21 !! He reminds me of Iniesta's goal threat with a hint of Xavi's vision. These kind of players are like hens' teeth. I see Barça* are sniffing around him now !! Where the hell they'd put him I don't know.

* - save the cedilla :D

Sorry BOF, I was referring to Rooney not Özil. My bad! If we're talking about Özil then I'm in agreement, terrifyingly good player. He may look like Gollum in a garage band, but he's fantastic.

mesut.jpg

The definition of world class for me is -

'Performs to the highest standard at the highest level' (no matter what your club form is)

Therefore no one is world class in that England squad.

Miroslav Klose (who always steps it up) is world class

I just think that if you stuck him in the Real Madrid or Barcelona side, he'd be found wanting.

I accept that he is an exceptionally effective player, but the question was "Is he over rated" and if we're talking about the British Media who said on more than 1 occasion that "Englands whole world cup hopes rest on his shoulders" then yes, he is very much overrated. Hes never going to win a world cup on his own, he'll never turn in the maradonna-esque performances required to drag his team kicking and screaming to a world cup final. No ones disputing that he's a fine player, but when you consider the acclaimation he gets from the british press, he is undoubtedly over-rated.

Englands world cup hopes did rest on his shoulders. He played badly and England go out in the 2nd round. I think he must have had an injury for the world cup and the reason he played was because England needed him to play well. He nearly won the premier league on his own. He nearly got united to the semi finals of the champions league on his own. He 's a different type of player to Maradona so comparing them is foolish. He is not overrated. He is world class but that doesn't mean he is anywhere near as good as Messi.

Dont be stupid!

6 goals in 38 games...oh yeah, prolific!!!

u clearly didnt read/understand my full post

Nope...just read it again and still think its silly pal!

It was either itv Or BBC but one of the 2 used oe in the team line up presentation, that's quite poor really.

I saw that too, I had a wry chuckle. Worse than that though, ITV introduced Oliver "Khan" before the England match. I had no idea Ceti Alpha V even had a football team*.

And DDID, I don't make the rules, they make themselves. :shock:

*-if you get that joke, you should be as ashamed as I am for making it.

Dont be stupid!

so miroslav klose will be remembered for what - 6 goals in 38 games or

one of the all time world cup top scorers????

Dont be stupid!

so miroslav klose will be remembered for what - 6 goals in 38 games or

one of the all time world cup top scorers????

Milan Baros won the Golden Boot for Euro 2004...does that make him world class?

Â