Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

I didn't think any bloke likes having his viewpoints challenged Bicks?! :wink:

Joking aside.... something seems to be up that's for sure...but exactly what is going on we'll just have to wait & see I suppose...

usgs.jpg

Joking aside.... something seems to be up that's for sure...but exactly what is going on we'll just have to wait & see I suppose...

usgs.jpg

usgs.jpg

And this is all because of man-made GW?

I need a drink

No its because of the increased sensitivity and understanding of the data received, well partly at least. Basically lots of submarine earthquakes used to be undetected, now they all get detected. Though the last 5 years do look unusually high. THough Global Warming has been going on a lot longer than that, so there no exact correlation there for the increased earthquake activity. Apart from one spike in what looks like 1999 and the last 5 years, the rest of that graph looks normal, it just increases as you wold expect with the advancement of technology

Anyone who may remember all the panic that was some years ago with the ozone layer?

today they say this

While the hole in the Earth's

protective ozone layer is slowly healing, its recovery might have a downside, scientists say: Climate change could change wind patterns and send ozone from high in the atmosphere down to the surface, where it is a major component of smog.

The discovery of a hole in the ozone layer above Antarctica was announced by a team of British scientists in 1985. The cause of the hole was attributed to ozone-depleting chemicals like chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which were primarily used in cooling units and propellants. When CFCs reach the ozone layer, they release chlorine atoms that rip ozone apart and peel away layers of Earth's natural sunscreen.

Simulations of life without the ozone layer, which is located in the Earth's stratosphere, are not pretty. The stratosphere (the second layer of the Earth's atmosphere, just above the one in which we dwell, the troposphere) contains 90 percent of the Earth's ozone at altitudes between 6 and 31 miles (9.6 and 50 kilometers) above us, where it traps most of the sun's harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays before they can reach the Earth's surface.

Without this shield, we'd be sunburned within 5 minutes of exposure, according to NASA's Earth Observatory.

The Antarctic ozone hole is the closest real-life glimpse at a world without UV protection. Since its discovery in the 1980s, it has spread over parts of Australia, New Zealand, Chile and South Africa where the threats of skin cancer, cataracts, and damage to have raised concerns.

Major efforts have been initiated to speed up the ozone hole's recovery, including the 1987

Montreal Protocol and the phasing out of CFCs. Even so, a study by Guang Zeng and her colleagues from New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research shows that that the recovery, in concert with climate change, may do harm as well as good.

The study, detailed in the May edition of Geophysical Research Letters, revealed that variations in

atmospheric circulation due to climate change will cause a 43-percent increase in gas exchange between the stratosphere and the troposphere, the layer of Earth's air at the surface and our air supply. As more and more ozone is replenished in the stratosphere it will also have more opportunities to seep into the air we breathe.

Some ozone is currently present in the troposphere, though mostly as smog from car emissions and other pollutants. It can be harmful to human respiratory systems and the environment.

If

carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere increase as expected from unabated emission, Zeng said the ozone layer will cool off, blurring the temperature boundary that separates it from the troposphere. Within the next century, more ozone than ever before will surge into our air, her computer model study predicts.

Zeng hopes that future studies of the impacts of climate change will account for the atmospheric composition of both the stratosphere and troposphere, as well as the movement of ozone between the two, to paint a better, more accurate picture of the Earth's environmental future

I don't think many really knows what's going on to be honest :-)

link

Average temperature for Denmark since 1990

Year Temperature

1990 8,4

1991 5,5

1992 7,8

1993 6,7

1994 6,0

1995 6,2

1996 4,0

1997 6,0

1998 7,3

1999 6,5

2000 7,5

2001 5,5

2002 7,9

2003 6,2

2004 6,4

2005 6,3

2006 5,3

2007 8,4

2008 7,9

2009 6,8

2010 4,7 the first half of 2010 was a cold one,we are back to 1996 before we find a first half which was colder.

GW my ass :-)

Smoke & mirrors.

Denmark is in an oceanic temperate zone.

Different rules apply elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Deniers funded by Oil

BP and several other big European companies are funding the midterm election campaigns of Tea Party favourites who deny the existence of global warming or oppose Barack Obama's energy agenda, the Guardian has learned.

An analysis of campaign finance by Climate Action Network Europe (Cane) found nearly 80% of campaign donations from a number of major European firms were directed towards senators who blocked action on climate change. These included incumbents who have been embraced by the Tea Party such as Jim DeMint, a Republican from South Carolina, and the notorious climate change denier James Inhofe, a Republican from Oklahoma....

more on link

I'm sure those same companies also fund Obama as well anyway , much the same way that a lot of the large corporations in the UK made donations to both the Tory and Labour party

The debate itself has been done countless times and I doubt either party will change it's stance .. the initial study that prompted the disappearing rainforest was actually based on someone misunderstanding or even manipulating the data to suit their agenda .. that doesn't mean that another study couldn't arrive at the same conclusion but it also doesn't mean we should assume every study that disagrees is funded by Monty Burns and evil corporation

I'm sure those same companies also fund Obama as well anyway , much the same way that a lot of the large corporations in the UK made donations to both the Tory and Labour party

Sure they do, where's the evidence?

Â