Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

How did the planet cool then warm in the eight ice ages of the last 600,000 years, if it was not man made CO2 that caused it?

And when you answer that simple question, and it is a really simple question, answer this one.

What is different now to then?

I find it wierd that the sceptics seem to be funded directly or indirectly by oil/energy industry people, or where they claim to have "evidence", this "data" is almost always paid for partially or in full by energy industry related funding, or turns out to be bogus, or is just based on gut instinct or ignorance.

I do not work in any of those sectors.

Neither does the University of Illinois.

What the heck has pirates got to do with global warming?!

Never mind....

Like Blandy says the oil companies have huge vested interests at stake here.. My ex father in law had a friend Uncle Pat I knew him as, who was a boffin working for Marconi Industries.. He's dead now. Pat would often tell of a guy who he knew during WW2 who developed an engine that ran on water & produced hydrogen as a waste product. Shell got hold of the patent, the plans & the guy, paid out serious amounts of money & nothing was ever heard of this silly invention ever again!

I didn't realise Mr Smalljob doesn't beleive that the Moonlandings took place. There was a program on TV not so long ago looking into this

conspiracy theory.

I have to say that Neil Armstrong always came across as a really decent sincere man who being 80 years of age now would have been having to live a

lie for a very long time. He was also a University Professor who would have had to perpetuate that lie to his students.

How did the planet cool then warm in the eight ice ages of the last 600,000 years, if it was not man made CO2 that caused it?

And when you answer that simple question, and it is a really simple question, answer this one.

What is different now to then?

And you've studied the geological record and realised that the rate of warming we are currently experiencing is vastly faster than anything previously understood to have happened on our planet other than events caused by a single catastrophic event (which therefore aren't relevant) ?

Global warming / cooling as viewed through the geological record takes tens of thousands of years at the very least, what we were experiencing for the last few decades was far far faster than that, though tbh the last couple of years have represented global cooling iirc

Whatever is going on now, its different to what has gone on in the past, just look at your figures, it is roughly an ice age every 75,000 years which is an entirely different timescale to what we are experiencing right now

Shell got hold of the patent, the plans & the guy, paid out serious amounts of money & nothing was ever heard of this silly invention ever again!

You know that to get a patent requires full public disclosure of the invention?

Like Blandy says the oil companies have huge vested interests at stake here...

A German team developed a viable water cracking motor in the early eighties.

I remember my science teacher's disgust when it was bought and buried.

Think it was the tiger people IIRC.

Shell got hold of the patent, the plans & the guy, paid out serious amounts of money & nothing was ever heard of this silly invention ever again!

You know that to get a patent requires full public disclosure of the invention?

I don't know the details Limpid, maybe they got him before the Patent was fully registered..however Pat was not the type of person to lie at all (neither am I for that matter) & he was a very clever man developing aircraft engines in the RAF towards the end of WW2.

Both my ex in laws (now deceased) were in the RAF in Germany just after the war that's how they met,.....in fact it was Pat who introduced them, so he remained a close family friend who we all knew well.

He would often tell this tale about the engine that ran on water.

I didn't realise Mr Smalljob doesn't beleive that the Moonlandings took place. There was a program on TV not so long ago looking into this

conspiracy theory.

I have to say that Neil Armstrong always came across as a really decent sincere man who being 80 years of age now would have been having to live a

lie for a very long time. He was also a University Professor who would have had to perpetuate that lie to his students.

There's a rather large thread on VT where Smalljobs makes some absurd claims on the subject. The man loves a conspiracy theory!

As for global warming, it's one of those subjects I really haven't investigated a whole lot. I've heard both sides of the argument in general but never bothered my arse to look at the evidence beyond the claims.

And pirates are involved in everything Julie. Everything.

Slightly OT but similar example of the power of multi-national corporations having huge vested interests that they seek to protect at all costs...

Only recently a colleague I was overseas on business with related to me that their firm had been approached by an Asian Doctor who practices in the UK last year. His firm specalise in offering financial advice to the medical profession and this doctor was seeking funding for a research project concerning a common everyday plant that we can all grow in our gardens that reverses the growth in cancerous cells. My colleague said this guy was pretty confident he'd found a cure for cancer.

Within a few weeks of this Asian doctor trying to access funding for a large scale research project, one of the big pharmeceutical companies had paid the guy off & got him to sign a secrecy clause to bury his research. This was last year. I asked my colleague if he ever found out which plant was the one in question but unfortunately the Doctor never said from day one.

I'll lay odds he's not the first neither...

It really doesn't matter either way. Man affects the environment adversely in many other ways. Global warming or not, man-made or not, fossil fuels will run out. We need to do more than have academic arguments.

Why would eminent scientists like Prof Michael Oppenheimer of Princeton University be so public about the effects of Global warming if there wasn't something to be concerned about?

Remind me, where does Princeton get it's funding from?

It gets it's funding from a wide range of places - from individual students' fees, from alumni that have done well for themselves making donations and so on.

Where it doesn't get it's money from is the oil industry, the energy industry and such like.

I find it wierd that the sceptics seem to be funded directly or indirectly by oil/energy industry people, or where they claim to have "evidence", this "data" is almost always paid for partially or in full by energy industry related funding, or turns out to be bogus, or is just based on gut instinct or ignorance.

Your counter argument is based on a wikipedia article, just as bogus and probably akin to gut instinct.

They are privately funded, and there is nothing to suggest none of their alumni are not involved with the oil industry, or even the Guvmint.

I'm always suspicious of where scientists and researchers get their funding from because despite popular belief Science is a petty buisness.

If it turns out Princeton are perfectly clean and there are no vested interests then fair enough, but I very much doubt that.

They are privately funded, and there is nothing to suggest none of their alumni are not involved with the oil industry, or even the Guvmint.
Nothing to suggest that they're not in league with the devil, or KGB spys, or in charge of the matrix, or mates of gary glitter either.

The whole solar system is undergoing changes not just on earth,and why? because of human activity?? please don't fool yourselves and stop listen to what some environmentalists are claiming

we can't do anything about climate changes, neither can we do anything about earthquake or volcanic eruption, what we can do ourselves is to keep low pollution in our cities and around the country for our own health's sake.

and I don't love a conspiracy theory, I just don't believe everything I'm told :-)

Remind me, where does Princeton get it's funding from?

It gets it's funding from a wide range of places - from individual students' fees, from alumni that have done well for themselves making donations and so on.

Where it doesn't get it's money from is the oil industry, the energy industry and such like.

Your counter argument is based on a wikipedia article, just as bogus and probably akin to gut instinct.

I'm always suspicious of where scientists and researchers get their funding from because despite popular belief Science is a petty buisness.

If it turns out Princeton are perfectly clean and there are no vested interests then fair enough, but I very much doubt that.

This is a peculiar way to discuss things. Julie makes a point quoting a notable scientist froma notable establishment as corroboration, then you say "ah yes, but look where he gets his funding from" in a way which reads as though you suggest you have knowledge that he is funded by a vested interest. Then when someone corroborates that he isn't funded from a vested interest, you rubbish the source as bogus and repeat the assertion you made.

At no point have you actually provided any source or data or anything to support what you are saying, and you trash (without eveidence) what people who hold a different view have said and the sources they use.

This is very much symptomatic of the whole wider debate.

Science is a petty business? Are you insane? Scientific thought and advancement is responsible for literally EVERYTHING that we rely on in modern life, and it will be responsible for the giant leaps forward that we are yet to make. There is literally not one aspect of life that is untouched by science, and not one aspect of life that hasn't been improved by science.

The whole solar system is undergoing global changes not just on earth,and why? because of human activity?? please don't fool yourselves and stop listen to what some environmentalists are claiming

we can't do anything about climate changes, neither can we do anything about earthquake or volcanic eruption, what we can do ourselves is to keep low pollution in our cities and around the country for our own health's sake.

and I don't love a conspiracy theory, I just don't believe everything I'm told :-)

You do know what global means, right ?

The whole solar system is undergoing global changes not just on earth,and why? because of human activity?? please don't fool yourselves and stop listen to what some environmentalists are claiming

You do know what global means, right ?

I know I did it wrong with 'undergoing global changes'

should just be undergoing changes 8)

Â