Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

i know we had this discussion a year or two ago on VT...

but as per the Panorama programme that was on earlier today asking this question:

How certain are you that the Global Warming is man-made?

Yes, obviously. Of course some degree of global warming could happen for any number of non-man-made reasons, but the question seems to be asking whether we have made it worse. Only an imbecile would dissent.

How certain are you that global warming exists?

no-one (except maybe you :winkold: ) is disputing that global-warming is happening - that can & has been proved.

the debate is whether its natural / cyclical, or whether humans are the main cause.

Yes, obviously. Of course some degree of global warming could happen for any number of non-man-made reasons, but the question seems to be asking whether we have made it worse. Only an imbecile would dissent.

How so?

Surface temperatures have cooled by 0.4C in the last 12 years, and there has been no signs of warming. In this time, it is considered that CO2 has increased.

The oceans have not risen.

The weather has not changed.

It's not a question of if we have interfered with the climate, of which there is no evidence, you first need to establish evidence of climate change, which is negligible at best.

Forget the Stern Report. You need to research the Oregon Petition.

If you want to read up on fair and balanced information on climate change, go to http://www.cfact.org/

no-one (except maybe you :winkold: ) is disputing that global-warming is happening - that can & has been proved.

the debate is whether its natural / cyclical, or whether humans are the main cause.

If I was to tell you man-made CO2 from all human interference on the planet, including industry and travel, is only 3% of the total of CO2 entering the atmosphere annually, firstly, would you believe me? And secondly, if you research this and find I am correct, how can human interference possibly have increased the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by an estimated 25% over the last 100 years?

And how did the planet cool between 1940 and 1975, in an unprecedented period of industrial growth?

I only caught the last bit of Panorama..but it sounded to me like opinions are very much divided.

No I'm not certain because there have been temperature variations in the Earth's climate.....

However it is likey that man is having some effect on the climate because as well as at the same time pumping out ever increasing amounts of C02 & other greenhouse gases for the past 250 years plus encouraging huge increases in methane producing farm animals...he's stupidly chopping down vast amounts of the planet's oxygen producing rainforests etc.

There's no doubt that the Ice caps are melting & that sea levels are rising, whatever the cause..

It's also interesting that a few eminent Volcanologists such as some involved at the world renowned British Geological Society have started

relating the increase in ferocity & frequency of earthquakes, volcanoes & tectonic plate activity to increasing pressure from melting ice.

There's a fair few articles & newspaper reports popping up on this subject recently as I posted in another thread.

I know the RSPB have accepted Climate change as being a global problem for nigh on two decades.

If I was to tell you man-made CO2 from all human interference on the planet, including industry and travel, is only 3% of the total of CO2 entering the atmosphere annually, firstly, would you believe me? And secondly, if you research this and find I am correct, how can human interference possibly have increased the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by an estimated 25% over the last 100 years?

And how did the planet cool between 1940 and 1975, in an unprecedented period of industrial growth?

So I WAS right ;-)

Man made factors play a part but it's not 100% down to us. But by reducing our greenhouse emissions we can reduce our part in global warming. The sun though, we can't do much to change that.

Cow's arses are one of the main culprits apparently

We did task Heskey with the job of culling them via the use of a banjo but sadly he failed

I really don't think VT members are taking this subject very seriously somehow! :detect:

Hard to say, the Earth heats and cools in cycles naturally, and has done for billions of years. It could very well be just a natural process that man has nothing to do with, it doesn't help to look after the place though so it's safer to assume we are a factor and cut our carbon emissions etc.

I think an important thing in all this is we can't afford to be wrong about this. So that's why we need to just accept what world governments are doing to tackle it, even if you are skeptical.

I really don't think VT members are taking this subject very seriously somehow!

trouble is this thread comes up every now and then and invariably goes the same was as the Bolitics or religion threads

nobody from either camp will ever change their view ..

There's no doubt that the Ice caps are melting & that sea levels are rising, whatever the cause..

There absolutely is cause or doubt! You are far from correct here.

The ice caps are not melting. The northern ice cap has seen minimal melt over the last 100 years, but the southern ice cap has very much grown. The sea levels have not risen either.

You will not find evidence to support sea level increases or significant reductions in sea ice. I can, however, provide evidence that they are stable.

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=13834

Â