Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

• 3 weeks later...

I can vouch that winters have definitely been colder in Ireland the last few years, and the summers have been piss poor bar this one. I think as an Irish man I'd have been a lot more concerned if they called it global freezing than global warming. 

The IPCC are now 95% certain that climate change is man-made.  :detect:

I guess there's still going to be sceptics around but when you get 800 scientists do an in depth report like this then we should take notice of their findings.

'Global warming' or 'global cooling' isn't 100% attributable to humans as it is a natural process, however I am 100% certain that human activities are causing the Earth to warm up at an unnatural rate that either wouldn't be happening at all or would be happening at a slower rate than what it is currently doing. The evidence has been undisputable for years except for sceptics sponsored by the people who make money from economic activities that causes output of greenhouse gases or destruction of natural carbon sinks.

Edited by villaguy
  • Like 1

It's being reported as "almost sure that global warming exists and that man is partially responsible", which isn't quite the same thing.

It also depends when their evidence period stops as the ice caps are currently growing again. Not only that but their projected temperature change is 1.5 degrees in the next 87 years.

PaulC, on 27 Sept 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

coda, on 27 Sept 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

I guess there's still going to be sceptics around but when you get 800 scientists do an in depth report like this then we should take notice of their findings.

or we could listen to around 8000000 scientists that didn't take part in the in-depth report  who may have a different opinion :)

• Like 1

It's being reported as "almost sure that global warming exists and that man is partially responsible", which isn't quite the same thing.

It also depends when their evidence period stops as the ice caps are currently growing again. Not only that but their projected temperature change is 1.5 degrees in the next 87 years.

I think it was last year (or maybe the year before that)  that the beluga whales couldn't complete their migration because the ice hadn't melted and they had to hang around in a bay until it did

and yet scientists draw us lovely maps with empty spaces where the ice once was   ...  If Beluga whales could talk i'm sure they would have something to say on the matter

or we could listen to around 8,000,000 scientists that didn't take part in the in-depth report  who may have a different opinion :)

If they do have a different opinion then there'll doubtless be a rebuttal in many science papers soon cuz that's how those things usually play themselves out. I'll keep an eye out :)
  • Like 1

Well If you're going to be deluded, better to be a deluded sceptic than a deluded believer In my opinion :P

I'd rather not be deluded at all, if you want to pigeon hole yourself into one of those options that's entirely your choice

That D'ream fellow, Brian Cox,the scientist said (about another subject)

The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!

My opinion :) is that when 800 expert scientists in a field come to a conclsuin such as the one voiced today, after careful study and analysis, that non-experts, interested parties (such as Oil companies, the Koch Brothers and their well funded astroturf puppets) can and should be roundly ignored on this, and have their inexpert views made fun of.

'Global warming' or 'global cooling' isn't 100% attributable to humans as it is a natural process, however I am 100% certain that human activities are causing the Earth to warm up at an unnatural rate that either wouldn't be happening at all or would be happening at a slower rate than what it is currently doing. The evidence has been undisputable for years except for sceptics sponsored by the people who make money from economic activities that causes output of greenhouse gases or destruction of natural carbon sinks.

I'd come down behind this view as well. On the basis that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, surely we can't unlock so much carbon in such a short space of time without fundamentally changing the balance in the atmosphere and with it the weather - although my missus did her Doctorate in this stuff and I may be suffering from Stockholm syndrome after a decade+ of her eco propaganda.

The bigger issue is what to do about it without fundamentally disadvantaging ourselves economically. Any solution has to be global in scale to be effective because the UK is a drop in the ocean in terms of CO2 emissions and incapable of making any sustainable difference unilaterally through reduction of emissions.

What I'd love to see is UK Gov saying "right, we're going to solve the problem of cold fusion and we won't stop until we've cracked it". Success would crash the global economy in the short term and make us a lot of enemies (because it is built on hydrocarbons), but once we got past that it would be the answer to so many of the world's problems.

We've got the scientists, we've got the facilities, what we need is the political will.

• Like 1

Â