WC 2010: Group A Chat Topic (S.Africa etc)

bickster

Who will top the group?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• France
    • Mexico
    • South Africa
    • Uruguay

This situation with france is unbeleivable. Worse then holland in euro 96.

It's great as they're preventing us (England) being the worst team at the tournament!!!!

I'm sure the Italians are thinking the same thing!

The problems and friction in the French team are down to a split over one man: Yoann Gourcuff.

Gourcuff comes from a privileged family. He is smart and he is respectful - but he is also still a shy little boy. In his spare time he listens to music, watches films and plays his video game systems. He is, in his own words, a little nerdy.

In a French squad that places more value on how much money you have in your bank account, and what girl is on your arm, Gourcuff doesn't fit.

One incident occurred shortly before the World Cup. Franck Ribery and Sidney Govou had organised a night out at well known gentleman's club in Paris. Several players, including Gourcuff, decided to stay home. When Ribery heard about this he immediately confronted Gourcuff and asked 'does your mother not allow you to go, you homosexual slur'

This is one of many incidents.

Ribery is the main instigator in the bullying, however he is far from alone. On the pitch, Gourcuff plays within himself. Scared because he fears the verbal retribution he will receive after the match from his tormentors.

In the squad, Gourcuff can count on only 4 real allies. His best friend Hugo Lloris, his teammate Jeremy Toulalan, elder statesmen Thierry Henry and captain and the glue that holds the team very loosely together, Patrice Evra.

When Raymond Domonech bowed to player pressure and dropped Gourcuff for France's second group match, that was the catalyst for the situation in which we now find ourselves.

Reports of groups hardly talking to each other soon surfaced, however, most notable were the French media suggestions that playmaker Yoann Gourcuff was isolated and suffering extreme verbal and even physical bullying at the hands of Franck Ribery.

"We're not all the best of friends, that's normal, but hopefully that does not translate on to the pitch," midfielder Jeremy Toulalan, a close friend of Gourcuff, said when asked about those reports.

"For instance, when I'm playing with Yoann, I'm not going to pass him the ball more just because we get on well,"

Just Fontaine, who scored a record 13 goals for France at the 1958 World Cup, was damning in his verdict on Ribery.

"Ribery? One day the mistake was made to say he was the team's brains and since, he has believed it. He is an arrogant man. He has a mood and an anger within him that is extremely unpleasant and disruptive"

Posted on another forum, don't know where the original source is though.

I did notice v Uruguay that a lot of players were reluctant to pass to Gourcuff. Seems Ribery is jealous of him.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm just reading other forums and websites now about the situation in the french camp, and i am hearing more shocking stuff every minuite. Apparently henry did not want to come on against mexico because he did not want to be associated with the mess and poor performance. And Gallas and Henry don't get on, an on going dispute which started in their arsenal days.

Unbelieveable.

**** hate Ribery as it is, slimy French prick.

That is unfair. How reliable is that quote/source. If we speak to riberys camp they will state their opinion which may make others look bad. There are two sides to every story. We don't know the full FACTS yet. The truth will all come out in the end though, and then we can make our opinions known.

Unbelieveable.

That is unfair. How reliable is that quote/source. If we speak to riberys camp they will state their opinion which may make others look bad. There are two sides to every story. We don't know the full FACTS yet. The truth will all come out in the end though, and then we can make our opinions known.

I still think that Ribery is an overrated, ugly bastard.

Unbelieveable.

I still think that Ribery is an overrated, ugly bastard.

I think we'd all agree that Ribery is not blessed with looks. But I have to admit I think he is a v good player but is just having a poor 5 months.

I think we'd all agree that Ribery is not blessed with looks. But I have to admit I think he is a v good player but is just having a poor 5 months.

Maybe so, but I've seen him a few times now, and I haven't been impressed once.

BTW, you have spelt Premiership wrong in your sig.

I agree with Milfner.

bed time :lol: Anyway what I want I want to know is why Anelka said what he said. The manager has always picked him ahead of Henry even though many feel he shouldn't be in the team, and supported him to the press after his poor performance against Spain a few months ago. The phrase 'Biting the hand that feeds you' comes to mind.

I agree with Milfner.

bed time :lol: Anyway what I want I want to know is why Anelka said what he said. The manager has always picked him ahead of Henry even though many feel he shouldn't be in the team, and supported him to the press after his poor performance against Spain a few months ago. The phrase 'Biting the hand that feeds you' comes to mind.

I dunno. Anelka has always been portrayed as a bit volatile, whether that is fair or not I'm not sure. In this squad though he is the clear leader in the striker department, he's had the best season of all the strikers, in terms of form and quality, perhaps not in terms of number. So I reckon he just lashed out at a clearly mental manager who is already leaving after this tournament, so he doesn't give a ****.

I asked my wife how bad "go screw yourself, dirty son of a whore" would be in French.

She said that's a really severe thing to say. More than a sackable offence. :)

It's literally "go and get buggered, dirty son of a whore", but that does not quite express how strong it is, because "enculer" is much more obscene in French than "bugger" is in English.

"**** off you word removed" is about the closest English equivalent I can think of to what Anelka is reported to have said.

Â