Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Enough people have mentioned it that I think I'm going to try out Twin Peaks next. Do the first two series still hold up, or is it worth just jumping in to the new one?

You have to watch the originals first and as @useless says, it’s worth watching Fire Walk With Me as well. 

The originals more than hold up, but you do have to make some allowances for the fact it’s 30 years old. 

The originals are great. It’s part quirky small town murder mystery, part soap opera, part comedy and then it morphs into something else entirely.

Fire Walk With Me and S3 (The Return) are completely different to the originals and they are basically David Lynch, operating with a entirely free reign to be as mental as possible.

The finale of season 2 and Part 8  (‘Gotta Light’) of S3 is some of the best TV you will ever see.   

18 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not surprised about the OA in the slightest.

Me neither.

I mean I didn't see the second season. But the first season was pretty **** awful

Probably too experimental in it's themes and execution for mainstream audiences, but it appeals to me because I'm used to watching art house cinema. Will probably get replaced with yet another superhero comic show, it's not as if Netflix has many genuinely decent shows, I guess they go buy audience figures though.

8 hours ago, useless said:

Probably too experimental in it's themes and execution for mainstream audiences, but it appeals to me because I'm used to watching art house cinema. Will probably get replaced with yet another superhero comic show, it's not as if Netflix has many genuinely decent shows, I guess they go buy audience figures though.

There was nothing art house about The OA

I think The OA has a spirit of adventure and willingness to experiment rarely seen on TV these days. Although rather than being truly 'art house' itself, I think it's more of an homage to other 'art house' films. in a similar way to how Stranger Things is a pastiche of things like Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter and so on, The OA in it's turn has a lot of influences like David Lynch, Jorge Luis Borges, and one of the episodes had a lot references to Three Colors Red, it even starred Juliette Binoche, and I'm sure there are many others that went over my head.

It wasn't perfect but I admired it's efforts to try something relatively different.

• Like 1

I watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl last night.

Brilliant so far,  I am super enjoying it. 

The bloke running the nuclear plant is ace,  he's a 5 star lunatic.  "3.61,  still quite high mate"  "Nah,  we are good". 

If there is a Russian "The Black Knight of Nuclear Administration and Health and Safety implementation within the nuclear workplace",  he's that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The bloke running the nuclear plant is ace,  he's a 5 star lunatic.  "3.61,  still quite high mate"  "Nah,  we are good". 

If there is a Russian "The Black Knight of Nuclear Administration and Health and Safety implementation within the nuclear workplace",  he's that.

aA393Rg_700b.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Definitely listen to the HBO podcast too, they do an episode by episode discussion of the fact v fiction components and provide loads of fascinating extra info. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Definitely listen to the HBO podcast too, they do an episode by episode discussion of the fact v fiction components and provide loads of fascinating extra info. 

The ‘Real Chernobyl’ documentary was pretty decent as well. 

The best stuff is the raw footage you can find on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

Gave the first episode of ‘Manifest’ a go. 

A* for premise 

Ungraded for acting and script writing. 

There’s no CGI/Special effects, so they must have blown the production budget on hookers and blow - ‘cos they definitely didn't spend it on actors who can act. 

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Gave the first episode of ‘Manifest’ a go. 

A* for premise 

Ungraded for acting and script writing. 

There’s no CGI/Special effects, so they must have blown the production budget on hookers and blow - ‘cos they definitely didn't spend it on actors who can act. 

I switched it on expecting it to be a show dedicated to the Stone Roses bassist.

I've been watching Prison Break from the start.  Refreshing to watch a programme from the old days where they did over 20 episodes a series.  It's a bit daft but fun.

• Like 1

Â