Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 05/06/2021 at 19:51, Brumstopdogs said:

Thank you to those that recommended Mare of Easttown👍

Just breezed through all seven episodes today and loved it.

Just finished this now - absolutely brilliant. Very well acted throughout and a cracking yarn. 

• Like 2

On 05/06/2021 at 07:22, hogso said:

All That Glitters, BBC. The contestants are incredibly skilled, and I find in an area that I know next to nothing about, I enjoy the show more. 

Also up to date with the current series of Sewing Bee. Serena is the run away winner for me. 

All That Glitters is great. Not perfect - the judges are personality vacuums - but still very good. And bonus points for being made in Birmingham.

Sewing Bee I also like, and agree Serena has bulldozed the competition. And stolen hearts :wub:

5 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

The new BBC prison drama Time with Stephen Graham and Sean Bean was good last night i thought but I'm a sucker for a prison drama 

Agreed. 3 parter so will be brief. As its all on iplayer I think I may watch the rest tonight. Sean Bean seems to be playing it well. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Agreed. 3 parter so will be brief. As its all on iplayer I think I may watch the rest tonight. Sean Bean seems to be playing it well. 

Oh I didn't know it was all on the iplayer so thanks. Yeh I was a bit disappointed that it was only 3 episodes 

Watched season one of Line of Duty after having seen people praising the series on here.

Pretty average imo. It's well made, but incredibly messy storyline.

Are the following seasons much better ?

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Watched season one of Line of Duty after having seen people praising the series on here.

I would say if anything it gets even messier. Good but very much all over the place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's entertaining, not top draw but I enjoyed all of it, some is ludicrous some parts are top quality and some of it was very tense and edge of your seat stuff.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

It's entertaining, not top draw but I enjoyed all of it, some is ludicrous some parts are top quality and some of it was very tense and edge of your seat stuff.

A bit of a digression, but is it typical for British/Irish police to say "armed police" if they are armed? Seems just pointless to me, and I don't get why anyone would do it.

Might be Norwegian police does it as well, I really wouldn't know, but even then it sounds just daft to me.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

A bit of a digression, but is it typical for British/Irish police to say "armed police" if they are armed? Seems just pointless to me, and I don't get why anyone would do it.

Might be Norwegian police does it as well, I really wouldn't know, but even then it sounds just daft to me.

There are lots of little things that can irritate a little just like you mention, it disappoints when it's something that's meant to be top quality bit I blank it out when it's run of the mill entertainment. 

I'm pretty sure they have to say armed by law here. 

Edited by Phil Silvers

34 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Finally knocked one off the watchlist and wish I'd started sooner.

Gomorrah. Was a blast from start to finish, loved it. For those that haven't caught it yet, it's an Italian organised crime thriller drama series, 4 series with a 5th completed and on the way this year hopefully. Brilliant stuff. 

You should have a look at Zero, Zero, Zero on Sky Atlantic then.

Written by the same guy as Gomorrah but centres around 1 shipment (literally) of cocaine from Mexico to Italy, brokered by an American shipping magnate.

Its slick and engaging and on par with the quality of Gomorrah. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's got a couple of purposes, I think, firstly that the suspect is aware that the police are armed when it's far from routine here, and has had a warning and oppurtunity to surrender before a firearm is discharged. I suspect there's also a bit of an intimidation factor; If the local bobby is chasing you down, you might fancy taking your luck one on one, but you'd have to be a lunatic to pick a fight with a firearms unit.

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

You should have a look at Zero, Zero, Zero on Sky Atlantic then.

Written by the same guy as Gomorrah  but centres around 1 shipment (literally) of cocaine from Mexico to Italy, brokered by an American shipping magnate.

Its slick and engaging and on par with the quality of Gomorrah. 

Seen it. Was good although I really liked the Mexican end of the story quite a bit more and would have loved to have seen a stand alone series about them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's got a couple of purposes, I think, firstly that the suspect is aware that the police are armed when it's far from routine here, and has had a warning and oppurtunity to surrender before a firearm is discharged. I suspect there's also a bit of an intimidation factor; If the local bobby is chasing you down, you might fancy taking your luck one on one, but you'd have to be a lunatic to pick a fight with a firearms unit.

See to me you should set the standard of people being advised to listen to the police irrespective of carrying guns. I also can't understand how anyone that breaches a building should have the focus on shouting armed police instead of doing what they are there for. It's just weird. Thirdly I don't see how anyone breaching my house shouting armed police will make me think any different than someone shouting police. In fact it would probably make me act stupid in the sense that I would hide from armed police, but ask wth is going on to regular police.

And I don't get how it's a legal matter to say armed police either. I don't get what law or rule that comes into play here. I understand you inform people they may encounter people with guns, but at the same time you are giving the very same people information they can benefit from.

I dunno, maybe I'm just stupid here, but to me it seems unwise.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Seeing as it's on the BBC is small axe classed as TV? 

Either way I watched the first one mangrove, absolutely superb, great cast and acting, the setting is perfectly believable, they showed the motorway but didn't really go in to the detrimental impact it has on areas (I've seen a few new York dramas and docs about it destroying poor communities) I think that would have been interesting, the big moment in court was superb, darcus stole it 

Also they set something up then seemingly forgot about it 

Spoiler

The rookie cop who was shocked by the racism, I thought he was going to have a role to play in the trial or do something later on but he just disappeared 

Edit - would make a good comparison with the Chicago 7, that film went for bigger characters and edited the story in an interesting way, mangrove was very grounded which for me made it better, it stirred a feeling of sympathy for these guys that Chicago 7 didn't, there's more emotion in mangrove, I think more feeling of them being shit on and this ruining their lives 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No

DA18D731-30F1-4EB1-8E7C-187F2B814D1F.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Gun control is pretty tight in the UK and the police don't traditionally carry firearms. Only specially trained officers do so and on special dispensation. I'd say that 99% of the time when you see one they aren't armed. By declaring that they're armed it helps clarify the situation is potentially life threatening. 

It's such a rarity over here that I actually get quite uncomfortable when I'm overseas and see police openly carrying guns, especially automatic ones. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Gun control is pretty tight in the UK and the police don't traditionally carry firearms. Only specially trained officers do so and on special dispensation. I'd say that 99% of the time when you see one they aren't armed. By declaring that they're armed it helps clarify the situation is potentially life threatening. 

Pretty much same here. Think for the longest of times the UK, Norway and a couple more nations were the only ones without armed police.

Here they (the police interest organisation) are desperate to implement it, despite it not being wanted in the public. The way around it is that the give dispensation ALL the time and I mean ALL the time, by pretending there's a need for it due to heightened terrorist/security threat.

Â