Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

15 hours ago, darrenm said:

The Crown series 4 is out today.

Gillian Anderson is apparently brilliant as Thatcher. 

I'll be turning the phone off for a couple of episodes tonight.

Just watched the first two eps, and I thought Anderson's Thatcher was awful. By far the worst thing about what is otherwise very good indeed. 

It was a hammy comedy version, I never believed in the character for one moment - all I could see was the acting, a parody Thatcher. All the royals are great though. 

On 27/09/2020 at 00:39, TheAuthority said:

Ted Lasso.

Hated the previews. Hate the premise. But, right now, at this time,  trying to ignore the US election and the climate catastrophe happening in front of our eyes....

it's very sweet and almost... poignant.  It's a story about a man who's kindness melts everyone's hatred and cynicism. It's a show to I am glad to watch right now. Thanks to Jason  Sudeikes and the folks that made it.

I like the premise, actually. Even though it's absurd. I haven't seen any of it but I just read several reviews on iMDB and people love it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I like the premise, actually. Even though it's absurd. I haven't seen any of it but I just read several reviews on iMDB and people love it. 

I highly recommend it as a great antidote to the real world we currently live in :thumb:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Just watched the first two eps, and I thought Anderson's Thatcher was awful. By far the worst thing about what is otherwise very good indeed. 

It was a hammy comedy version, I never believed in the character for one moment - all I could see was the acting, a parody Thatcher. All the royals are great though. 

I agree. To be fair she has the voice down so well that if you close your eyes it sounds like a Spitting Image doll. But the mannerisms and the writing is just dreadful. Also why are writers trying to make us like the witch?

Spoiler

All that, oh she doesn't fit in with the toffs playing their stupid game with the cork. Well, why did she **** the working class in the arse then? The puritanical bitch.

Though it is the first time the series has shown for real what the aristocracy are. A bunch of drunks with nothing but contempt for anyone not in their circles. It's been like that for hundreds of years and even though though they are on their last legs as an institution - they still are the same today.

Spoiler

Also, a very odd juxtaposition of the Royals hunting with Mountbatton's bombing. I thought WTF and it seemed very one dimensional to me - happy to hear other opinions though.

I've enjoyed some of the Crown - especially the parts I didn't live through - Churchill and the fog for example. But this series I lived through and so I know how it actually was. I'm fairly certain there's going to be a ton of revisionist BS toward Thatcher and Diana and it's going to irritate the shit out of me. 

I think the writers know this is what everyone wants to see and will try and please the Daily Mail flag waving readers as much as possible while also creating controversy. The world doesn't need anymore anger FFS - just keep making Ted Lasso!! 

Rant over.

Edited by TheAuthority
Quoted instead of spoilering!!! Oops!

8 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The Man in the High Tower...should I watch this? I've tried once before but it seemed sort of soulless. 

I couldn't get on with it. But in the past couple of years it's rare that any show holds my attention for more than 10 mins.

I've probably finished about 4 shows total in that time. Probably a result of my diminishing mental capacity and having a toddler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

The Man in the High Tower...should I watch this? I've tried once before but it seemed sort of soulless. 

High Castle?

I actually quite liked that show. The world building works IMO and the story is good enough. I get why it wouldn't be for everyone thou and it's a bit up and down.

7/10 for me.

On 13/11/2020 at 11:52, theunderstudy said:

Watched Season 2 of The Boys on Amazon Prime and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Watched Season 2 of The Boys on Amazon Prime and thought it was a bit pants.  Not sure what others are finding good about that series?  I just don't get it i think.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Watched Season 2 of The Boys on Amazon Prime and thought it was a bit pants.  Not sure what others are finding good about that series?  I just don't get it i think.

i found it very on the nose with current american politics, the beginning of the one episode in particular where they show the impact of the fear culture

it dropped off a little but was still good and worth a watch, its more of the same but less of it, takes a while to find its feet and remember what made it work in season 1

Also watched the first episode of A Touch of Cloth. Had me in stitches all the way through. 

Similar show to the also very funny and little seen series Angie Tribeca 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly my thoughts on it. Having not thought the series would have been my kind of thing, I've actually really enjoyed it until now. It's odd as I generally love Anderson (although this might be something to do with having delivered some wine to her years ago and her having opened the door in a dressing gown) but I just can't get my head around her as Thatcher, for exactly the reasons you outline. 

Edited by choffer

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Been watching 90 day fiancee 

Omg its hilarious.  I simply cannot believe this show is real.  It has to be staged

Did your husband enjoy it as well?

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I agree. To be fair she has the voice down so well that if you close your eyes it sounds like a Spitting Image doll. But the mannerisms and the writing is just dreadful. Also why are writers trying to make us like the witch?

Hide contents

All that, oh she doesn't fit in with the toffs playing their stupid game with the cork. Well, why did she **** the working class in the arse then? The puritanical bitch.

Though it is the first time the series has shown for real what the aristocracy are. A bunch of drunks with nothing but contempt for anyone not in their circles. It's been like that for hundreds of years and even though though they are on their last legs as an institution - they still are the same today.

Hide contents

Also, a very odd juxtaposition of the Royals hunting with Mountbatton's bombing. I thought WTF and it seemed very one dimensional to me - happy to hear other opinions though.

I've enjoyed some of the Crown - especially the parts I didn't live through - Churchill and the fog for example. But this series I lived through and so I know how it actually was. I'm fairly certain there's going to be a ton of revisionist BS toward Thatcher and Diana and it's going to irritate the shit out of me. 

I think the writers know this is what everyone wants to see and will try and please the Daily Mail flag waving readers as much as possible while also creating controversy. The world doesn't need anymore anger FFS - just keep making Ted Lasso!! 

Rant over.

TBF, they did hint at the paradox - the patrician Tory grandees were quite shocked at her spending cuts, and said she was going too far. She cleared those softies out to make way for the Canary Wharf spivs and their Greed Is Good approach. Essentially, old Toryism was patronising, but they were quite willing to pat the working classes on the head and chuck them a few treats, as long as they Knew Their Place. What they really hated were nouveau riche middle class upstarts muscling in on their wealth monopoly - Thatcher's core constituency. Basically, she hated anybody who wasn't like her, and she punched up as well as down. I think the point the programme was making was that, for all her arrogance, she was no better than a Yorkshire miner when it came to knowing how to behave around the Royals (who would probably have preferred the Yorkshire miner anyway). They treated her like dirt on their shoe. Which is fine with me, obviously. 

Incidentally, I thought Meryl Streep did a far more nuanced and convincing Thatcher in "The Iron Lady". Anderson sounded like she was impersonating Janet Brown impersonating Thatcher. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Word on the street is your the person who went to the amazon forest to meet the young Brazilian girl?

@Xelawatch the show its so hilarously bad it makes you hooked 😂

Its brilliant, you may have seen my review of Darcey and Stacey Which is a spin-off from 90 day fiance. It’s good at the end of the series when they all get them together in the studio and it kicks off something rotten. Wait to you see the series with Yolanda and her love for ‘the Williams’ Allegedly from Manchester, the thick  bitch. Anfisa the Russian is also good value. Essential viewing it is that bad

Â