Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Lasted about 15 minutes of Sky Comedy’s Two Weeks To Live - just not funny in any way... 

A shame really, as with a lot of their other recent original comedies, Sky have managed to attract good casts but seriously let down by poor material. 

Anyone given ‘Ratched’ a go on Netflix yet? 

I like Sarah Paulson and I loved One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, but Ryan Murphy’s stuff has been a bit and miss outside of American Horror. Reviews are a bit Dyatlov - not great, not terrible. 

57 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Lasted about 15 minutes of Sky Comedy’s Two Weeks To Live - just not funny in any way... 

A shame really, as with a lot of their other recent original comedies, Sky have managed to attract good casts but seriously let down by poor material. 

I thought the fist episode was ok, I quite liked the scene in the cafe. 

I’m not expecting much, but I’m gonna stick with it for another couple of episodes. 

You’re right about Sky’s original comedies though - they can be very hit and miss. 

As an example, Code 404 with Stephen Graham is so offensively bad, I’d rather binge watch every episode of Mrs Brown Boys than watch another minute of it. Brassic on the other hand is fantastic and proper laugh out loud funny. 

They do tend to chuck a load of money at ‘names’ and often miss the mark. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

I thought the fist episode was ok, I quite liked the scene in the cafe. 

I’m not expecting much, but I’m gonna stick with it for another couple of episodes. 

You’re right about Sky’s original comedies though - they can be very hit and miss. 

As an example, Code 404 with Stephen Graham is so offensively bad, I’d rather binge watch every episode of Mrs Brown Boys than watch another minute of it. Brassic on the other hand is fantastic and proper laugh out loud funny. 

They do tend to chuck a load of money at ‘names’ and often miss the mark. 

Code 404 was sooo bad - can’t believe it got a second season 😶

Utterly painful viewing!

• Like 1

Hunters on Amazon Prime was quality. 

Al Pacino was superb, the story was excellent and it was prone to a decent bit of weirdness now and again which added to the enjoyment.

Great twist towards the end and a brilliant final scene. Looking forward to season 2. 

• Like 3

Watching ITV's 3 part drama about the arrest of Dennis Nilsen, Des. First episode very good and very accurate to what actually happened. Tennant is scarily good as Nilsen, getting his mannerisms bang on. Kinda scary that a bloke who had killed and then kept the bodies of 15 men, when asked how many bodies he had at a time, 'I dunno, I didn't take a stock check'.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Watching ITV's 3 part drama about the arrest of Dennis Nilsen, Des. First episode very good and very accurate to what actually happened. Tennant is scarily good as Nilsen, getting his mannerisms bang on. Kinda scary that a bloke who had killed and then kept the bodies of 15 men, when asked how many bodies he had at a time, 'I dunno, I didn't take a stock check'.

I watched that having not really known the story. It was excellent.

He was a very twisted man. He said it’s a good job they caught him at 15 because he wouldn’t have been able to stop and it would have been 150. 

On 18/09/2020 at 18:26, theboyangel said:

Loved Cobra Kai and already looking forward to season 3 

just started Kingdom in Netflix as quite like Frank Grillo 

Was one cringiest things I've ever watched but loved every minute of it, it's pure nostalgia

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

I watched that having not really known the story. It was excellent.

He was a very twisted man. He said it’s a good job they caught him at 15 because he wouldn’t have been able to stop and it would have been 150. 

His story is completely bizarre. A man who ended up being obsessed with death because of the apparent beauty of the stillness of the body, ends up picking up men and murdering them so he can keep them for 'company'. All while holding down a normal job where he was known to be a likeable if dull man, and nobody noticed a dozen men missing. And he wasn't even that careful - he used to chuck bags of organs over his fence. His first flat stank of death but visitors just said it was 'musty'. He had numerous times where he attempted to kill a 'guest' in his house and they got away, some of which reported it to the police and nothing came of it.

Even Nilsen himself had a moment where he woke up next to a body one morning and said '...this is ridiculous'.

He was a **** evil bastard.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Code 404 was sooo bad - can’t believe it got a second season 😶

Utterly painful viewing!

I think we'll struggle to see a lot of good and bold comedy now as people are scared to offend as they might get 'cancelled'. 

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think we'll struggle to see a lot of good and bold comedy now as people are scared to offend as they might get 'cancelled'. 

I found Code 404 offensive but only as it had been described as a comedy 😂

Edited by theboyangel
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I dunno, I’m not sure I totally agree with that. 

Without getting all political, I genuinely don’t see this ‘cancelling’ thing in comedy, apart from throbbers like Jim Davidson and Lee Hurst moaning about it. Let’s be honest, they haven’t been cancelled by some left wing, comedy conspiracy, they are just absolute shite and way past their sell by date now. 

I think if the material is deliberately trying to offend a certain group of people for the sake of being offensive, then it’s doomed to fail, because it’s unlikely to be funny. 
Gervais is a good example (taking into account subjective taste) of being offensive and funny. He’s not pushing an agenda, he takes on all sides - as his stand-up and Golden Globe performances have shown. 

On 19/09/2020 at 22:46, Chindie said:

Yeah I binged this on the weekend. Very very good. He's a scary man. Tennant and Watkins were particularly good.

They've done a short documentary called "The Real Des" which is worth a watch too. You won't learn anything new but it's interesting to hear from some of the real people who are depicted in the drama.

Banshee is better than I gave it credit for. It's still cheesey american shite, but I've just finished season 3 and there is definitely more to it than just being entertaining shite. 

It's still ridiculously unrealistic, but it's genuinely good. The episode where

Spoiler

they rob the military base

is brilliantly shot

• Like 3

I've started the series version of Get Shorty and surprisingly I'm really enjoying it. I say that because the film was really good and I didn’t think it was the kind of story for that kind of format. It's certainly different from the film, but it still has that Elmore Lenoard rhythm and is really funny at times. Chris O'dowd is excellent, yet again and Ray Romano is following up on the great job he did on The Irishman. 

• Like 2

On 19/09/2020 at 16:28, wazzap24 said:

Anyone given ‘Ratched’ a go on Netflix yet? 

I like Sarah Paulson and I loved One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, but Ryan Murphy’s stuff has been a bit and miss outside of American Horror. Reviews are a bit Dyatlov - not great, not terrible. 

I really enjoy it so far 8/10.  The way it's filmed is brilliant and it really does look like a really old film from that time. (Hair / makeup / clothes all brilliantly done)

The main actors are excellent also.

Also,  remember the terrorist woman from "Who dares wins",  she's in it.

Sarah Paulson,  she is fantastic.  Both the acting and the character in the series.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Thanks 1

Young Wallander is alright. They've shifted the timeline by having him in modern day Sweden not in the 70's (which would've been better IMO). 

Still prefer Krister Henriksonn's Wallander but there's enough in the storyline to keep me watching. 

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2020 at 02:10, sheepyvillian said:

I've started the series version of Get Shorty and surprisingly I'm really enjoying it. I say that because the film was really good and I didn’t think it was the kind of story for that kind of format. It's certainly different from the film, but it still has that Elmore Lenoard rhythm and is really funny at times. Chris O'dowd is excellent, yet again and Ray Romano is following up on the great job he did on The Irishman. 

I loved this show. Season 3 seems to just stop a bit early and it looks like its been cancelled, a real shame.

Â