Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

8 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've only seen bits of the first series and most of it is a word-for-word remake which put me off as it didnt seem right seeing different actors doing it.  Apparently it gets better once they get past the original source material.

I think only the pilot of the US version is a word for word remake. Everything else is original scripts. 

it’s a very good show but it’s a show in its own right. Very different to the UK version but still good. 

went on too long though

On 23/05/2020 at 17:33, Chindie said:

Oh and a guy sulking for days after someone ate his prized beef steak.

Niku Jiken was a bloody travesty and Uchi had every right to be pissed.

47 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Is The Stranger worth watching on Netflix? I'm half afraid to look at any reviews for fear of spoilers.

Yes, would give it a go.

It's quite an entertaining watch, there is loads going on and it is easy to finish in a couple of days.

• Like 2

I watched Karaoke, another one by Dennis Potter, about a writer that's writing a drama for Televsion and starts noticing scenes and snatches of dialogue from his script happening around him in real life and as it goes on he realizes his screenplay is mirroring real life circumstances. Stars Albert Finney, Richard E Grant, Keeley Hawes and Ewan Mcgregor even makes an appearance, although I guess that must have been just before he got really famous as he's only in it very briefly and has one line. I thought it was pretty good but seemed to end quite abruptly.

Edited by useless
Just read that McGregor was also in Lipstick on your Collar, so maybe he made a cameo as a favor as by 96 I think that he was already quite famous.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, useless said:

I watched Karaoke, another one by Dennis Potter, about a writer that's writing a drama for Televsion and starts noticing scenes and snatches of dialogue from his script happening around him in real life and as it goes on he realizes his screenplay is mirroring real life circumstances. Stars Albert Finney, Richard E Grant, Keeley Hawes and Ewan Mcgregor even makes an appearance, although I guess that must have been just before he got really famous as he's only in it very briefly and has one line. I thought it was pretty good but seemed to end quite abruptly.

kenneth-williams-65dce28a-4874-4311-afcf

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, useless said:

Was Karaoke the one released simultaneously with "Cold Lazarus"? That's good, too. Although Potter's finest moments for me will always be "Pennies From Heaven" and "The Singing Detective". 

Nice spoiler in the description of Episode 10 of The Last Dance from Netflix

Spoiler

The Bulls conclude their "Last Dance" with a Sixth Championship 

Cheers guys. Some of us didn't actually know that

Edited by Stevo985

18 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Is The Stranger worth watching on Netflix? I'm half afraid to look at any reviews for fear of spoilers.

It's alright.

Looks very polished. Everyone on the show has very shiny cars and live in big houses.

I found quite a lot of the characters quite annoying.

The storyline is quite interesting and keeps you fairly gripped, although there were a few problems I had which I won't really mention for fear of spoilers.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 22:16, Phil Silvers said:

yep, so many despicable characters and all quite interesting, cant wait for S3, I bet one of these bastards had something to do with covid19.

Glad I stuck with this, final episode of season 2 was a cracker. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

It boiled my piss to be honest, but my Mrs thought it was good. 

It’s a 3rd rate ITV drama IMO.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Niku Jiken was a bloody travesty and Uchi had every right to be pissed.

He definitely wasn't in the wrong to be pissed, but he literally went into a full on shut down sulk for days. Which was kinda absurd.

It does highlight the kind of show it is though. Other than that the biggest moments of drama was an argument that they didn't even show as it got too heated for the show, and the hidden romance. And yet apparently one moment was enough to see people turn on a housemate to the extent she topped herself.

**** hell.

In happier news, Celebrity SAS ended well. They finished with the resistance to interrogation stage as usual, and the celebrities were **** terrible. I get that that situation is difficult and you're specifically being pushed in ways to make that even harder, but still... **** hell. They actually went easy on them in some ways, trying to get stubborn people to realise their cover story was blown, and they still didn't get it. 

Also the bald interrogator is a magnificent bastard. He clearly enjoyed pushing and pushing these people, especially when he pushed Joey Essex to the point he literally broke - he was grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Also came round on Bellew. Early on he was basically a loose cannon, unable to fully keep a handle on his aggression, by the end he was a decent bloke, just not of the mindset to succeed in this kind of environment. He also clearly has problems with his post career life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troglodyte said:

It's alright.

Looks very polished. Everyone on the show has very shiny cars and live in big houses.

I found quite a lot of the characters quite annoying.

The storyline is quite interesting and keeps you fairly gripped, although there were a few problems I had which I won't really mention for fear of spoilers.

Yeah I watched the first couple of episodes last night and thought the same, some very wooden performances in it too apart from mayber Stephen Rea and one or two others.

Another thing is the theme music like a lot of the netflix originals is awful. I'll persevere regardless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Yeah I watched the first couple of episodes last night and thought the same, some very wooden performances in it too apart from mayber Stephen Rea and one or two others.

Another thing is the theme music like a lot of the netflix originals is awful. I'll persevere regardless.

TV theme music is a lost art imo.  I agree that it's a bit of an ITV cast off and if I hadn't been paying for Netflix I wouldn't have bothered.  It's better than the other Coben series they did.

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Christ the theme music for the stranger was absolutely awful! So glad you can skip it 

Find Gangs of London pretty boring between (before, at the end of the episode usually) the big action scenes. But then I'm a typical background TV watcher so it's got to be really good to hook me in these days, or already something I'm really invested in and want to focus on like BCS. That being said, the action scenes are making it worthwhile, just when I'm about to pack it in again

Spoiler

the bloke from Teachers head gets popped off

WarmheartedFewDairycow-max-1mb.gif

Edited by fightoffyour

fun fact (that's completely **** usless...) from the last dance!

the drink that MJ has for a lot of the interviews is tequilla not whiskey, its his own brand Cincoro Tequilla, the cinc part comes from the brand being owned by 5 NBA team owners....one of which is our very own Wes Edens

• Like 1

Just finished the Epstein documentary on Netflix, once again they prove they are the best at this sort of thing. Fair play to them they pretty much got everyone bar Epstein talking to the camera, lots of former workers, victims, attorneys all accounted for and all saying the exact same thing, he was a monster living in plain sight.

Corrupt to the core and so much unexplained goings on, no real conclusion on how he amassed so much wealth.

Â