Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that I can understand. Nearly everyone who has ever watched the wire has said it takes a few episodes to get into. I was the same, thought meh after the first few episodes. 

once you get to know the characters though it’s an amazing show. 

Watched ep1 again last night and it didn't feel quite as dated as I remembered, but what I got was tons of short nothing scenes, what felt like a nothing introduction to about 20 characters, endless dialogue that felt like nothing and I'm like, wait, am I missing something here. If I were an exec and they bought me this pilot it would have gone in the bin. It was very meh as you say.

TV has been unlike my music, my favourite albums were a hard slog at first but there was something there I couldn't put down and they have stayed with me forever, the stuff that was instantly catchy/likeable hasn't and with TV I've always just given up, moved on to the next and probably missed out on some real gems.

Got S1 ready to roll and am determined to see it thru. The whole world cant be wrong after all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Watched ep1 again last night and it didn't feel quite as dated as I remembered, but what I got was tons of short nothing scenes, what felt like a nothing introduction to about 20 characters, endless dialogue that felt like nothing and I'm like, wait, am I missing something here. If I were an exec and they bought me this pilot it would have gone in the bin. It was very meh as you say.

TV has been unlike my music, my favourite albums were a hard slog at first but there was something there I couldn't put down and they have stayed with me forever, the stuff that was instantly catchy/likeable hasn't and with TV I've always just given up, moved on to the next and probably missed out on some real gems.

Got S1 ready to roll and am determined to see it thru. The whole world cant be wrong after all.

Like others have said there are a myriad of characters and it is hard to click with them after one episode. 

But by the end of season 1 you care about every single one of them. 

Id definitely say persist for one season. If after a season you don’t like it then it’s not for you. But I’d bet good money you’ll be coming back here saying you’re glad you persisted. 
Everybody takes a few episodes to get into The Wire but it nearly always clicks eventually

17 minutes ago, villakram said:

Derry Girls. Funny stuff and loads to resonate with us 90s kids.

Love this program, particularly the Nun in charge of the school - she’s hilarious! 

it’s easy to call it the female inbetweeners but it’s built around real events and life in Northern Ireland in the early nineties, which adds a bit extra. 

• Like 1

We've become fans of the Japanese Netflix show Terrace House over the last couple of years. It's a very easy show to watch. 6 people. 3 men, 3 women, go into a nice house and live together. They go about their lives as normal otherwise. Ostensibly it's a dating show but it's not really, it's more about seeing Japanese life and how the people living together get on whilst trying to achieve something (basically everyone on the show is there for some reason - some are allegedly there to find love, others to become more outgoing, and most are there blatantly to sell themselves or their business). But the fun really is the cast of commentators that the show cuts back to once or twice an episode, who make discuss and make gags about what just happened.

Unfortunately the show is in the news today. One of the housemates on the latest series, a wrestler called Hana Kimura, has killed herself. She supposedly was harassed online after an episode that showed her being mean to another housemate, and unfortunately that seems to have driven her down the path of taking her life. A huge shame. She was 22, and seemed really quite nice.

Terrace House doesn't really have drama. Everyone is quite polite on it. The biggest drama moments across the various series have been a housemate engaging in a hidden relationship to maintain her image, and argument that came at the head of 2 female housemates who didn't get on that wasn't even shown. Oh and a guy sulking for days after someone ate his prized beef steak. So it's even more strange that supposedly one person 'being mean' has created such a backlash to see a young woman kill herself.

Reality TV and social media are a cruel mix. 

:(

• Sad 1

Rewatching Goodnight Sweetheart as of today. It was either that or Hi De Hi but my wife doesn’t have the same love of it that I have so went for the more spouse friendly time travel sitcom. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Rewatching Goodnight Sweetheart as of today. It was either that or Hi De Hi but my wife doesn’t have the same love of it that I have so went for the more spouse friendly time travel sitcom. 

I do that every few years too. Underrated programme. 

How are you watching it by the way?

1 minute ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I do that every few years too. Underrated programme. 

How are you watching it by the way?

Via Plex and a subscription I have with a fella. 

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

We've become fans of the Japanese Netflix show Terrace House over the last couple of years. It's a very easy show to watch. 6 people. 3 men, 3 women, go into a nice house and live together. They go about their lives as normal otherwise. Ostensibly it's a dating show but it's not really, it's more about seeing Japanese life and how the people living together get on whilst trying to achieve something (basically everyone on the show is there for some reason - some are allegedly there to find love, others to become more outgoing, and most are there blatantly to sell themselves or their business). But the fun really is the cast of commentators that the show cuts back to once or twice an episode, who make discuss and make gags about what just happened.

Unfortunately the show is in the news today. One of the housemates on the latest series, a wrestler called Hana Kimura, has killed herself. She supposedly was harassed online after an episode that showed her being mean to another housemate, and unfortunately that seems to have driven her down the path of taking her life. A huge shame. She was 22, and seemed really quite nice.

Terrace House doesn't really have drama. Everyone is quite polite on it. The biggest drama moments across the various series have been a housemate engaging in a hidden relationship to maintain her image, and argument that came at the head of 2 female housemates who didn't get on that wasn't even shown. Oh and a guy sulking for days after someone ate his prized beef steak. So it's even more strange that supposedly one person 'being mean' has created such a backlash to see a young woman kill herself.

Reality TV and social media are a cruel mix. 

:(

I don't watch an awful lot of Stardom anymore, but I do still watch their Cinderella tournament every year. Hana's last match turned out to be a time limit draw against Mayu Iwatani, which eliminated them both. It's indicative of what her future may have been, as she was booked awfully strong in that match and it was a bit of a shock result, seeing as Iwatani has been Stardom's ace since Shirai left (although there's an argument for Momo Watanabe too).

It's really shit news. I don't know awful lot about Terrace House, but I do know that stars of Joshi are, and have been, role models for young women for many many years in Japan. The whole industry has effectively shut down over there at the minute, although a few promotions have taken tentative steps to restart. I can only assume she found it particularly difficult without wrestling as an outlet. 

Just got around to watching The Last Dance and loved the footage of the old games- brings back some great memories!

MJ without any shadow of a doubt is one of the great sportsmen and his desire, will to win and focus shone through in the series.

Can see why he could be labelled arrogant and/or another way to look at it was he had supreme confidence in his abilities.

If I had one criticism I thought the jumping from one year to another was difficult to keep up with at times but I can see why they did it like that.

9/10 would recommend!

Yeah agree about the jumping back and forth. I think it’s a good way to do it, but for the casual observer who has little interest in basketball I found myself having to rewind now and again to confirm which year the game I was watching was from. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I've seen the UK version and thought that was really good. How does the Office (US) compare?

I've only seen bits of the first series and most of it is a word-for-word remake which put me off as it didnt seem right seeing different actors doing it.  Apparently it gets better once they get past the original source material.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I've seen the UK version and thought that was really good. How does the Office (US) compare?

Yeah the first episode in particular I found quite difficult because it's the same but the actors feel like they're impostors playing the same characters. I actually warmed to it quite early in the first season though but it could take longer.

The US version dips a little towards the end but overall I love it. It becomes hard to compare to the UK version because it takes its own path and it's also tough to weigh something that lasted two seasons against a show which went on much longer. If I had to choose - although I'm not sure it'd be a popular opinion - I prefer the US version. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Snowpiercer has just been added to Netflix, well first two episodes.

I quite enjoyed the movie, great idea and concept. Hope they've done it some justice!

On my list to watch - will probably wait for the whole series to be available before starting it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Snowpiercer has just been added to Netflix, well first two episodes.

I quite enjoyed the movie, great idea and concept. Hope they've done it some justice!

It's OK, kinda. They've added a lot of extra plots to pad the runtime.

Not sure how it will develop. The movie was good because it had momentum and a strong story. I hope this doesn't turn into "Murder on the Snowpiercer Express"

• Like 1

Â