Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

When we were kings, my favourite sports docu ever, outstanding. 

not sure what the link is between them all but I think if there was a long discussion on best sporting docs it would be interesting how many come out as 30 for 30, OJ or this last dance one, all done by ESPN

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not sure what the link is between them all but I think if there was a long discussion on best sporting docs it would be interesting how many come out as 30 for 30, OJ or this last dance one, all done by ESPN

Ahhh, yes not clear from me, chat has been about Ali and just remembered how good this was....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118147/

I'll check out 30 for 30, cheers

That's me... I though when we were Kings was the first 30 for 30 but its not that's King's Ransom 🤦‍♂️

But definitley check out 30 for 30, they're brilliant, I think 2 of them are on Ali too including one about why he took his last fight and why he never should have... The OJ series is brilliant too, so much depth to it

• Like 2

Dark Side of the Ring is a pretty good documentary series on wrestling. Obviously not sanctioned by Vince McMahon which makes it already a bit more realistic

I think all season 2 is on YouTube 

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

That Terry Bollea hey. Such a good sports entertainer. 

Good home videos as well. 

• Haha 3

On 21/05/2020 at 12:23, choffer said:

You're right though that he added no value to the team but it was interesting to hear Merse saying that the team the previous year had a huge effect on him making the necessary changes in his life so I wonder if Ruddock had that in his mind. Probably not but if him appearing on the show this year had the by-product of him starting a journey to getting himself fixed up, then it's all good. 

I’m pretty sure Ruddock was also on the first series, didn’t learn that time, won’t learn this time. It appears he doesn’t want to change 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Without question the most famous sportsman ever is Mohammed Ali.

You’re probably right here with a certain age group but I dunno if that answer is subjective to age and even location to a degree ? I’d suggest if you were in India then Tendulkar is the most famous athlete ever ?
Would be curious to see what VT came up with but if books , music and film is our benchmark we’d probably vote a ping pong player from Indonesia as the most famous athlete of all time  

but to the debate in hand , to throw in my tuppence  , I still refer to Zimbabwe as Rhodesia , and starburst as Opal Fruits but I’ve never referred to the boxer as anything other than Mohammed Ali , so there you have it case closed via the weird logic of a bloke from Surrey 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Tried three times with the Wire and can't even finish the second series. So poor IMO.

The greatest show of all time, with a couple of the best single episodes of television of all time. 

I know each to their own and everything, but I can't help but be surprised when people don't like The Wire

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The greatest show of all time, with a couple of the best single episodes of television of all time. 

I know each to their own and everything, but I can't help but be surprised when people don't like The Wire

I'm exactly same as Tomaszk, have tried and failed to get past episode1 a couple of times and found it really dated. I have never heard a bad word about it, in fact most say same as you and is best thing ever. Might give it another go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I'm exactly same as Tomaszk, have tried and failed to get past episode1 a couple of times and found it really dated. I have never heard a bad word about it, in fact most say same as you and is best thing ever. Might give it another go.

Well that I can understand. Nearly everyone who has ever watched the wire has said it takes a few episodes to get into. I was the same, thought meh after the first few episodes. 

once you get to know the characters though it’s an amazing show. 

• Like 3

Aye, first couple of episodes are tough. The writers apparently didn't want to dumb it down so you have to learn the street lingo yourself from the off. Once you do and get to know the characters, its an amazing show. Season 2 is divisive though! 

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

Aye, first couple of episodes are tough. The writers apparently didn't want to dumb it down so you have to learn the street lingo yourself from the off. Once you do and get to know the characters, its an amazing show. Season 2 is divisive though! 

I’ve told my theory on season 2 before. 

I think season 2 is actually very good. If you watch The Wire through a second time you have no issue with it. 

I think the problem when you watch it the first time is you’re so used to t being a show about drugs and gangs and cops, and that’s such a good story, that when it suddenly changes to being about the docks most people think “what the **** is this?”

When you watch it again without that reaction then it’s really good

• Like 3

Unforgivable Blackness, the Jack Johnson documentary. Directed by the great Ken Burns, it's funny, sad, tragic and a damning reminder of America's shameful, racist past. 

If you ever wondered where Chris Eubank got his eccentric dress sense from, look no further than the finely attired, Jack Johnson. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that I can understand. Nearly everyone who has ever watched the wire has said it takes a few episodes to get into. I was the same, thought meh after the first few episodes. 
Once you get to know the characters though it’s an amazing show. 

I think the shows strength could be it's weakness at the start - it has no real centre, it has an amazing cast of characters the importance and significance of whom varies greatly from episode to episode, it doesn't follow the structure of good cops and bad drug dealers, hero and villain, at its peak in season 4 it must be over 20 characters that could be classed as central and unlike GoT which got out of control the wire manages them all incredibly, it shouldn't work but because if the quality of the writing it really does

You won't get all that from 2 or 3 episodes 

Its not about d'angelo barksdale and mcnulty... I think until the final montage (which I thought was excellent) I didn't fully get what the show was about

Spoiler

It's about the city....the characters don't shape the city, the city shapes the characters, its a cycle because the politics and setting of the city don't change even if the people do

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

Â